El Zorro justiciero / E continuavano a chiamarlo figlio di … (Rafael Romero Marchent, 1972)

Database page: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/E_continuavano_a_chiamarlo_figlio_di…

-I don’t really care for Zorro films but this one by Rafael Romero Marchent doesn’t really differ from usual spaghetti western. Fabio Testi plays Zorro, a masked hero but there isn’t any sword fighting or Z-markings and he just wears a hood over his face not the usual stupid looking Zorro mask. We see him doing some acrobatics, mountain climbing and horse riding tricks though.
Otherwise it’s pretty basic sw stuff. There’s a nice looking train robbery scene, bank robbery and lots of gunfighting.

There’s some familiar typecastings in the film, Piero Lulli as the bad guy’s right hand man and Luis Induni as the good sheriff. Simone Blondell plays the role of damsel in distress. Riccardo Garrone adds some comedic elements as a town drunk but unfortunately he has only one scene in the film.

My rating: 3/5

Btw, this has a release date in 1972. It didn’t really look like a 70’s sw. Maybe it was shot already some years before?

Giusti and Spanish site 800 spaghetti westerns (Julio Alberto) say 1970, IMDB says 1969 (but I don’t see a release date)

My guess is that it lay on the shelf for a couple of years and was released in 1970

One of the better euro Zorro films, probably because it did not feel as much like a Zorro film as others. Alot of Zorro films have characters who seem to get so excited by the mere mention of Zorro, this one avoids all that.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:2, topic:2972”]Giusti and Spanish site 800 spaghetti westerns (Julio Alberto) say 1970, IMDB says 1969 (but I don’t see a release date)

My guess is that it lay on the shelf for a couple of years and was released in 1970[/quote]hmm… where’s the release date of 24.6.1972 we have in the database from then?

No idea

Probably from the Anica.it site.

Bruckner has the same release date, and unlike others which were earlier made than released, he also calls it a 72 film.

In this case the release date is correct (but Marchent’s film recycles scenes from at least 2 older SWs).

Yes, this one - rare exception among Zorro films - is entirely a SW (in my opinion below the average).

And look who’s here!

Screen from Arizona Colt Returns

Not bad, pretty much for the reasons Bill San Antonio already mentioned. 6/10

Dutch review:

The first spaghetti Zorro film I’ve watched I think and this one at least is as mentioned above 100% spaghetti western. Very enjoyable. I got the Italian dvd which states Copyright 1972 Italian International Film on the back just to lay more credit to the 1972 release date

Just been watching E CONTINUAVANO A CHIAMARLO FIGLIO DI… / ZORRO GIUSTIZIERO / ZORRO THE AVENGER.
At 01:05:16:15 in the Italian PAL version, there’s an over-shoulder shot of Fred Macaslim onto the Sheriff. On the wall in frame centre is a pencil sketch of Anthony Steffen, in what looks like his DJANGO IL BASTARDO outfit, which has been turned into a Wanted poster, with DEAD OR ALIVE printed at the bottom. He’s only worth $1000.
Thought it was funny, because Steffen isn’t in this movie.
They’re probably sharing the set from a movie with Steffen in it.
There’s also a partial glimpse at 00:22:22:07

The Wanted poster comes from Martino’s Arizona si scatenò… e li fece fuori tutti! (about six minutes into the movie), my post above referred to this but the screenshots no longer appear.

The director’s brother Carlos Romero Marchent is in both films.

The Italian credits report only the Elios studios but the movie was clearly filmed - mainly if not entirely - in Golden City (Hoyo de Manzanares).

For Italy the original running time turns out to be 94 minutes, which probably explains why in the DVD and TV version (from RaiMovie) credited Luis Gaspar doesn’t seem to be in the movie.

If IMDb is right in Spain the film was released on 21 February 1972, about four months before being submitted to Italian censorship.

It’s not the same set, Arizona Returns was mainly filmed at Elios (see post above)

I wonder who had the idea: Rafael Romero Marchent - also director of Garringo and ¿Quién grita venganza? - and his brother Carlos or Set decorator Demofilo Fidani and his daughter Simonetta who shortly before worked with Steffen in A Man Called Django?

This film’s page in our database has been updated to the new layout. Please help us improve it.