El Rojo (Leopoldo Savona, 1966)

Interesting what different people remember about a film. Always remember the sugar lump thing in this one.

Watched this one for the first time and enjoyed it a lot, maybe because my recent spaghetti diet (early paella, early Sauerkraut, a drastically cut version of a Bobby Woods movie) wasnā€™t exactly exquisite.

Bizarre movie, with a lot of ideas thrown in and never properly developed.
No idea what these sugar lumps were about. I thought first that ā€˜rojoā€™, red, referred to the JosĆ© Jaspe character, whoā€™s suppused to be an ex-Garibaldini, that is an ex-red coat, but then all of a sudden, Harrison is referred to as the Red One by the Black One in the final scene, who tells him (laughing) that they will be a fine pair. Didnā€™t really get that scene either.

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/garibaldicropped1.jpg/[/url]

Garibaldi

Beardy blokes are all very well but thisā€¦

is a proper Garibaldi.
Think Iā€™ll put the kettle on. :slight_smile:

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/2008113204631sugarlumps.jpg/[/url]

And these are ā€¦

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:43, topic:836ā€]

is a proper Garibaldi.
Think Iā€™ll put the kettle on. :)[/quote]

Not had a Garibaldi biscuit in years Phil, may have to get some in soon as look tasty.

Those Garibaldis look like our Pop Tarts, Phil

@AceHigh

Not quite, Ace. If Iā€™m right, a pop tart is like a pastry with a fruit filling that you put in the toaster?

These are smaller and just plain, slightly glazed biscuits with currents in. People here often call them fly biscuits because the currents look like dead flies. Despite that they are delicious and a good accompaniment to a nice cup of tea. :slight_smile:

They sound good. If I ever get over there, Iā€™ll try some Garibaldis. Pop Tarts, on the other hand, taste similar to warm cardboard.

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/elrojo8.jpg/[/url]

[size=12pt]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/El_Rojo_Review[/size]

Been a few years since I saw this and my memories of it are not that great. Seem to remember expecting more from it than I got.

Watched the Wild East disc a couple of days ago. Pretty average.

The dude with that thing on his faceā€¦ ridiculous. And Harrison feeding women sugar cubes as if they were horses. What was with his character anyway? First he says he doesnā€™t have a name and than he introduces himself as Donald Jorgensen, or something lame like that.

By the way, that opening scene is so fucking awful. Beyond belief really. Almost made me turn it off. But in the end itā€™s average stuff.

The print is below average, I might add. Sat down to watch the extra feature, but turned it off when some guy asked a 5 minute question. Embarassing.

In a good mood: 2,5 stars

Reading Scherpā€™s review makes me want to watch this film again. I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, but definitely found it a bit bizarre and full of loose ends. With one viewing I could tell the film must have had a bunch of script writers and sure enough there were 7! :o

Ha ha, yes, very bad. Very amateurish ā€¦

By the way, that opening scene is so fucking awful. Beyond belief really.

Among the worst scenes in the entire genre. I think the Indian looks fucking awful too. And I forgot to mention his name in the revies (going to add it): Cochise!

Cochise?! Thatā€™s awesome! LOL! :smiley:

I finally got around to watching the WildEast DVD of this film and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It was a sloppy film, but it contains much of what I love about the genre. Unfortunately much of what was presented was never fully realized as several people have already mentioned, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Its one ill certainly watch again.

I love the gadgets that his friend made. I couldnā€™t stop grinning when he showed up with all those Rifles mounted on the rack and started firing away like he had a Gatling gun. Then there were the beautiful saloon girls. Iā€™m surprised so many people thought the sugar thing was strange. I though t was a really cool character quirk. Like offering someone a stick of gum or a piece of candy.

But Black Bart takes the cake. He was such an awesome characterā€¦ like a wild west version of Dr. Doom. Unfortunately he disappears as soon as he arrives. Hes absent until the final few seconds of the film where he delivers one of the most bizarre, surreal and confusing endings Iā€™ve yet seen in a spaghetti western.

There is a version on YouTube that includes the titles (they are missing from the Wild East disc) but it doesnā€™t include the opening scene. I donā€™t blame them for cutting the opening scene out but the film probably makes even less sense without it. By the way, Scherpschutter asked the question, ā€œwho is El Rojo?ā€ in his review. There is one moment in the film when the Confederate guy (I forgot the characterā€™s name) refers to Richard Harrrison as ā€œEl Rojo.ā€ It isnā€™t explained but itā€™s in there. :slight_smile: Anyway, I really like this film. Itā€™s bizarre and the dubbing is terrible but I think itā€™s one of my favourite Wild East releases. The cover artwork is great, too.

Apparently I missed it

Hereā€™s a link. Skip to 35:23 minutes in. He just calls him ā€œrojo,ā€ actually. So, Richard Harrison is El Rojo.

I really liked this one. Itā€™s shame Richard Harrison didnā€™t get to dub his own voice this time.

The Spaghetti Western Festival feature is great on the Wild East DVD. Love when Tom asks Mark Damon about how wooden Anthony Steffan was.

1 Like