El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

Whats the time on the uncut version?

102 mins - that makes it about 8 minutes longer if my memory serves me well.

Time to get it …

If you find it in English… let me know where you did.

I already have it in English. I’m talking about the longer version which has Engl. subs for the additional not dubbed scenes.

And it’s no problem for me to get this one too.

Great tattoo! Almost missed it.

I rewatched this movie last night, this time the extended version (great job btw). I also think the extra scenes add a little bit to the understanding.

I think the kid is admiring El Puro because he still is a “Legend with the gun” and loves to watch him shoot. The kid even takes Puro’s gun and plays around with it pretending to shoot the chicken (which probably serve as bandits in his little role play) while Puro’s asleep (short extra scene). The kid doesn’t really know or understand the background of Puro becoming a drunkard. The child doesn’t see or does not have an understanding for the downside of being a famous and feared gunslinger. That El Puro has to live up to his reputation and over the span of ten years has to face and kill countless bountyhunters or madmen like Gypsy in order to survive and therefore becomes a hunted, tired and broken man. The kid sees things through the naive eyes of a child.

I also think Puro’s surprised himself that he was able to shoot Gypsy and his hand is not shaking anymore (as he looks at it). But that might be speculation!?

I like the movie for what it is: A little mean and dirty tale about the west.

Is the extended version better quality video than the older version that’s circulating?

The usual vhs print is still used for all the english audio parts of the film, which is most of the film. The additional scenes from an Italian source are of less vhs style quality, but still watchable.

It would have been interesting to see the film had Woods and Fiorni’s ideas been acceptable by 60’s censors. Don’t know if it’s been mentioned here but I recall Woods saying in an interview at the Venice Film Festival, that" I was quite ready to go out there with my dick hanging out." Speaking about the finale gunfight and the fact that the nudity would represent rebirth. Instead, he’s only bare foot.

Fittingly, the conversation took place while Woods and his interviewers were sharing Weed together. More and more I begin to like Woods even more. Especially after statements like’ I fucking hate Bush!" My kind of guy! ;D

What is the quality of the French DVD ?

Uncut ?

Is there an alternative?

[quote=“The Stranger, post:131, topic:795”]What is the quality of the French DVD ?

Uncut ?

Is there an alternative?[/quote]
It is discussed further up the thread (I’m sure there are some screen grabs comparing somewhere) - the french disc is the same (or very similar) to the English version floating about. Autephex (who’s a member here, but hasn’t been spotted recently??) grafted on some extra Italian footage - about 8 minutes worth when added together - and subbed it into English. This is the best version to be had.

I was wrong about the screen grabs - here’s 2 to make up for my mistake. This is the French disc picture source - the version that’s in the extended version. The ordinary English version is similar quality - a bit ghosty and blurry in places - but not too bad overall.

Thanks for the pics.
How do I get the extended version ?

By trading with someone who owns a copy.

I just finished watching the longer version with few extra/longer scenes. Nothing really important in these scenes but they make few scenes a bit better in my opinion.

[size=12pt]El Puro[/size]

“La taglia è tua… l’uomo l’ammazzo io” (1969), more commonly known as “El Puro”, is a Spaghetti Western directed by Edoardo Mulargia. The plot is straightforward: the once infamous gunfighter “El Puro” (played by Robert Woods) is now a drunkard hunted by bandits for the $10,000 reward on his head. The looks to have been cheap to make, with limited interiors which are used quite a lot. But these sets look fairly realistic as they are filthy and grubby which gives in an authentic touch of the West. The camera-work by Antonio L. Ballesteros is mainly devoid of style, apart from a few crash-zooms. The editing is rough and hasty, with more than a few jarring cuts. The direction is more spirited, with a well staged gunfight and an excellently handled climax and manages to make some of the more slower scenes interesting enough at least to watch instead of skipping them and getting to the highlights. The acting is good in places, even if Robert Woods performance as “El Puro” is slightly disappointing after seeing his great role in “Black Jack” (1968), but Mario Brega, Marc Fiorini (as Ashborn Hamilton Jr.) and Maurizio Bonuglia acquit themselves well to there roles as the villains of the picture. All in all, you should enjoy it if you are a fan of the genre.

Personally I think Woods was much better in El Puro than he was in Black Jack.

I disagree. In Black Jack he managed to create this absolout monster who would be the bad-guy in any other film, interresting to watch and make you want to know what happens to him next. I think it’s one of the best performences ever in a Spaghetti Western.

Yes, he does a great performance in Black Jack but I think his maniacal laugh gets a bit overblown.