El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

There are some cases, for instance Nuovo Cinema Paradiso by Tornatore or in the field of SWs Il mio nome è Mallory… “M” come morte (as it emerges the theatrical running time should be a little under 86 minutes, consequently the 106m24s version released on VHS made in Canada seems to be an extended version), but is not very frequent.

It is common when they are shortened, for censorship reasons or timetable of TV shows. :wink:

[hr]

[quote=“Stanton, post:238, topic:795”]El puro was aired in a quite good 2,35:1 version on Italian TV.
It seems it was the very same 98 min (94 in Pal) version which we all have on VHS.
This means:
(…) The 98 min English version is not one created for the English speaking market, but comes directly from an Italian version. (…)[/quote]

Not necessarily, that Italian version may have been adapted to the International one (as was the case with Trinity movies), possibly for the SW retrospective at the 2007 Venice Film Festival…

Can someone tell me what exactly are the TV stations in Italy who aired these two different versions?

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:241, topic:795”]It is common when they are shortened, for censorship reasons or timetable of TV shows. :wink:

[hr][/quote]

Yes this makes sense, forgot about those factors.

The Italian T.V print recently uploaded at CG has the Rai Movie logo embedded on the print of the film:

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

I watched this one on YouTube. I enjoyed it. It wasn’t as good as Django Kill but it definitely had the same sort of feel to it. Just ordered a nice-looking bootleg from Cult Action. I was a bit reluctant since it isn’t a very safe website but I really wanted to own a copy for my collection.

The Cult Action bootleg quality:

That’s most likely the VHS tape we all have. Everyone who wants it can trade it with someone.

Apart from that it is very likely that Tijuana versions using the Rai version will appear sooner or later.

[quote=“Stanton, post:245, topic:795”]That’s most likely the VHS tape we all have. Everyone who wants it can trade it with someone.

Apart from that it is very likely that Tijuana versions using the Rai version will appear sooner or later.[/quote]

The bootleg also has restored scenes from the Italian version, so it goes from English into the Italian language. I wouldn’t mind a copy of the original tape but I don’t have anything to trade at the moment.

That’s another one, based of course on the first one.

There’s also a 2,35:1 one, but it seems that it was masked a little bit, which looks odd in places. And a complete 8 min part was cut out for unknown reasons.

But then, the Rai version will be the new reference version, until a real DVD appears.

[quote=“Stanton, post:247, topic:795”]That’s another one, based of course on the first one.

There’s also a 2,35:1 one, but it seems that it was masked a little bit, which looks odd in places. And a complete 8 min part was cut out for unknown reasons.

But then, the Rai version will be the new reference version, until a real DVD appears.[/quote]

It looks like the best quality version, yes, but I’m quite happy with the bootleg I have. I don’t think I’ll be buying any other copies (maybe the original VHS tape) until an official DVD comes out.

Buying? Why do you buy such stuff when you can trade it?
I have all 3 previous versions, and none of them bought, all traded.

I would never buy a bootleg, and trading this stuff is so easy.

[quote=“Stanton, post:249, topic:795”]Buying? Why do you buy such stuff when you can trade it?
I have all 3 previous versions, and none of them bought, all traded.

I would never buy a bootleg, and trading this stuff is so easy.[/quote]

Well I’m new to this website. I don’t think I have anything to trade though. I think that I’ll have to get myself a decent DVD recorder since the one I have isn’t very good.

The SWDb entry of La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io credits Fabrizio Gianni with the part of Fernando and Gustavo Re with the role of “Specs” (aka the “Professor”). I am, however, quite sure that Re plays Fernando – but unsure about Gianni’s part. The IMDb lists the “Professor” in La taglia è tua … as his only acting credit, and apparently he co-wrote the screenplay. Information about Gianni is hard to find: reportedly, he worked as Sergio Leone’s assistant on Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, left the movie business in the 1970s, and became a fashion photographer (cf. The Scotsman and The Falkirk Herald; in his biography on Leone, Christopher Frayling doesn’t mention him in the main text, but lists him in the appendix as “director’s assistant” on Il buono …, whereas the movie’s [English] title sequence identifies him and Giancarlo Santi as “assistant directors”). It would be interesting to find out a little more about this rather enigmatic man – first and foremost whether he played “Specs” or not.

Strange, I thought that members of this forum would be able to provide more information about Fabrizio Gianni. Anyhow, concerning the SWDb entry: it is safe to say that “El Puro’s” elderly companion Fernando is played by Gustavo Re.

Sorry to stress the point – but maybe the credits in the database entry for La taglia è tua … could be changed accordingly?

A recent photo of Fabrizio Gianni:

Taking into account the years that have passed, I think it might be Gianni who played “Specs” (the “Professor”). What do you think?

Genre expert Christian Keßler thinks that Gianni played Fernando. I don’t know.

Thanks, stanton! But isn’t it obvious from the picture that Re played Fernando? I think so.

Nice picture of fashion designer Fabrizio Gianni. Or is that the same guy?
EDIT: Never mind, apparently it is. Wonders never cease.

Hey, that was quick! New credits for Re and Gianni. Obviously, somebody agreed with me.

If we think about it Fabrizio Gianni - also author of story and screenplay as well as assistant director on The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Hate Is My God - could be the true brains behind the movie.

Not counting the equally incomplete 107 minutes version, another cut available on YouTube with English credits redone on a black background and Portuguese audio is longer (101 minutes), but despite this is missing a few scenes just after the opening credits. For the moment I haven’t had time to detect the other differences.

In what way is the 107 min version incomplete?

This Portuguese version has at least the benefit to start with the same great shot as the 98 min version, while the 107 min version spoils this fantastic opening.

‎In order to respond appropriately one should have seen the other thirteen minutes of the original Italian version.

This source says 121 minutes (durata), but the runtime must be rounded down to 120.

http://www.cinematografo.it/cinedatabase/film/la-taglia--tua-luomo-lammazzo-io/21522/

Ok, but then again, does this version really exist?

Was the film ever shown with that length theatrically?

I would love to see it, but I doubt that it exists.

I still don’t understand why there should be so many longer versions of presumably uncut DVD editions. Where are all these versions? How could they all get lost?