El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

I took snapshots of the cast for my review. Scroll down and have a look, perhaps it’s helpful.

^ Thanks! I think you’re right with the actresses and roles, it’s just weird that they call the Bar owner “babe” in the film and never call the character of Babe anything in the film.

Robert Woods sent me this link to a fake trailer they made with him in Almeria during the recent Western Film Festival. Take a look. I think it’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Nice!

Yes cool stuff, and nice hearing Woods real voice for a change in a western clip.

Frankly speaking, this looks very, very good! :smiley:

That’s pretty cool. Is it something they did just for the fun of it or should I take it as a teaser for dvd release or something like that?

Just for fun I believe. But we can always live in hope.

Woods still has that magic ;).

Watched this yesterday, and what a belter! An archetypal Spag for me, everything I look for in one. Was it a deliberate aesthetic decision by director Edoardo Mulargia to not have any other characters bar those that have a role in the story, or is it supposed to be a ghost town? I want to imagine that Mr. Mulargia just cast his eye over the town-populating extras on day one of shooting and said, “You know what? Send 'em all home.” Gives incredible focus to the story, and lends an other-worldly and dreamlike - almost supernatural, in a way - feel to proceedings, which is a feel that I think really befits the genre, bizarre as it might seem on the face of it. Slow-burn, violent, nasty, revenge-heavy, and sparsely populated (but populated as it is by hugely interesting looking characters, top to bottom), and with a magnificent score by (checks) Alessandro Alessandroni, VERY derivative of Morricone’s TG,tB&tU, but in a good way, if that makes sense. I was humming along to it immediately, even though I’d never heard it before. This movie’s got a lot going for it, if you likes your Spags up the Django Kill/Matalo end of things (not that El Puro’s as downright weird as either of those by a stretch, but it DOES possess a similarly unnerving tone). I note that it’s in the SWDB Alternative Big 20, and bloody right too. Really glad I caught this one.

Top 20 material?

Actually not less will be accepted if you will stay here for a longer time.

Yes never came across this one, my versions were only in Spanish audio (no Italian), cut version you name it. Now it was the time.

When you have a small budget to do a western spaghetti, what’s the best way to go, well a not much different way from El Puro.
First you got yourself some recycled Morricone music to create the right environment, then a once famous pistolero down on his luck, stuck at the bottle with no other reason to live than his prostitute girlfriend, after that a band of outlaws/bounty hunters, with everyone of them being a basket case one more weird than the other, with a real cruel leader named Gypsy, mixed that with a Mexican helping hand Jose Calvo style, some revenge, and even some gay innuendo or more, and you got a simple but effective SW nice to watch, at least for guys like us.

In this case being a slow film helps to preserve the right mood, also liked the acting Woods is very good as the reluctant hero, but specially Marc Fiorini as the Gypsy, a very good SW character. The female characters are also first rate, and if Neri is a normal face, was surprise to see anme like Lisa Seagram a regualr US actress in this film, maybe she had some connection with Woods, just guessing.

So good pace the right mood, correct SW style, maybe only one or two scenes a bit long, for some reason the film reminded me of Ghost Dog the way of the samurai with Forrest Whitaker, can’t really explain why. Usually the Italian titles are very good, but not in this case, on the other hand the Spanish title is pretty cool. Both in Spanish and Portuguese El Puro/O Puro means pure, in the sense of purity, immaculate etc, but in Spanish also refers to a cigar (the goods ones at least or the pure ones), and that’s why the tittle cause Woods has always with one on his mouths so the nickname

Clearly enjoyed this effort made cheap but in the correct way, a more than decent SW, that really should a have proper released

Here we would have the film rights for You keep the bounty money… I’ll kill him aka El Puro, isn’t it? It is on the second page: http://www.varietycommunications.it/library.aspx?removeFilters=0

Well, let’s start to convince Wild East (or someone else) to release this long-awaited title! I’ve already made my request.

Made a request for the rights or to Wild East?

Made a request to Wild East :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree! You do that! The best one made still without a decent DVD release.

But WE releases only films for which they have access to an already existing master. And for El puro we have only a good one for a cut version. And one which masks parts of the image at the bottom (maybe also on top) ,which looks odd here and there.

Who would likely do a professional uncut master? Arrow Films? As far as I know there is no German version of El Puro. So it would be hard to find someone in DE/CH/AT to release it.

The Italians may one day release a proper version of El puro. Then a German DVD or Blu is possible, even with no available German dub.

Gotcha! I’ve made a request to Medusa Video and CG Entertainment :wink: