DVDR shops - grey market, bootlegs, etc

I could have sworn there was already a topic for these sites but I can’t seem to find it…

Used to have a bunch of these shops bookmarked but have since lost and forgotten them.

I’m look particularly for really hard to find Alberto Mariscal westerns and figured maybe should check some of these DVDR shops for them. Anyone have a list of these sites still in operation?

I can think of 4. Giallo Goblin, ZDD Visual Media, Trash Palace and Cult Action.

Thanks, Trash Palace has El Sabor de la venganza (Eye for an Eye / Taste of the Savage) but that’s the only one. Does look to be yet another version - Greek VHS with English audio/Greek subs, but these Greek tapes seem to usually be pretty bad quality

Speaking of DVDr shops, I’m trying to find a British based DVDr site, I have no clue of the name, other than it has the word “Blood” in the site name. Any help would be greatly thanked. I know Giallo Goblin is British but the “Blood” one is what I really want to find.

Sorry, can’t think of the British one Farmer, but I have a couple more dvd-r sites: Cinema de Bizarre and CineCityPlanet. You have titles for the films though?

Twisted Anger is from the UK I think, used to be at least.

Giallo Goblin’s pretty good; the guy will give you a discount on postage if buy multiple titles and often throws in a few extra titles for free.

I just remembered the name of the site also shares the name with a slasher film , but chances are, it might not show up, since some of these sites do close up shop sharpish. I’ve used Cine City to get Koch media stuff in the past. I’ll have a look at Twisted Anger. I do recall they guy selling the website and his stuff to a European bloke somewhere who runs it now. I have used Goblin in the past as well, and got some really weird extra films, I mean REALLY weird stuff.

here is an interesting article, I wish the author would update it further

International copyright law is of course a fucking mess…

1 Like

Thanks for posting my article, Sebastian, though I update it constantly! Is there anything in particular you feel I haven’t covered?

All I can think of is the inclusion of Echo Bridge (a purveyor of a LOT of cheap SW sets these days) and perhaps the push for greater awareness on other forums like blu-ray.com (which I frequent a lot and was surprised to see Film Detective accused of pirating in your article) and other websites where collectors gather. I know threads regarding this topic come up occasionally, but are scattered and oft forgotten:
Bootlegs in retail stores - Blu-ray Forum
Bootleg after some titles - Blu-ray Forum
And this comment in the Triumph of the Will thread which mentions Cinavia, an anti-infringement method embedded into the audio is very interesting, one I’ve not heard before:
Triumph of the Will (1935) (Special Edition) - Page 28 - Blu-ray Forum

Also, what is the SWDB’s policy on listing bootlegs? I’ve seen several listings of Research Entertainment’s releases

I don’t think we’ve ever set out an actual policy. As for our noble struggle to inform the world’s spaghetti western fans of available releases and their merits, it makes sense I think to list everything that’s openly available for purchase and mark bootlegs as such (i.e. if it’s on Amazon.es we list the BluRay and mark it as a bootleg) …

With the likes of Echo and Timeless, things get very blurry. The article’s already ballooned to a huge size and it’s difficult to cover all bases in depth without straying too far off topic. Others just write a whole book on the subject!
Though I couldn’t possibly list all such labels, I’ve done my best to cover them in the “Public domain companies” section and the intro to “US and European pirate labels”.

With the greatest respect, Sebastian, I think that line of reasoning is flawed, as what you’re actually doing is raising awareness of bootlegs, so by definition encouraging people to buy them. Obviously what then happens is fans are acquiring usually substandard copies of films that deserve to be restored and released in good quality editions. But every bootleg or pirate sold is less money for that to happen.

Additionally, I’ve encountered many bootlegs on this site that are not notified as such.

Have you actually read my article in full? If so, I would welcome your further comments.

I think we mean the same thing. However, ignoring bootlegs that are openly available for purchase, we’d be actively withholding information from the casual reader about what is or isn’t a bootleg. Because to the novice, a release not listed isn’t automatically a bootleg, we just might not have included it yet. I’d be all for the most agressive anti-bootleg kind of line of information, but that would still involve informing our readers about their existence

by all means please help us identify them. We’re a community project, we can only inform about what we know about :slight_smile:

There are a lot of bootlegs on this site! The easiest way to find them is via Google site search; just paste this into a Google browser:

• site:spaghetti-western.net Llamentol

Obviously, substitute the name of the label as appropriate; there’s an extensive list of them in my article. Listing boots carries responsibility. Context is important, so ideally each would come with comparative screenshots and a review, allowing fans to make an informed choice. As that’s impossible I’d suggest a standard disclaimer alongside each one. Perhaps something like, “Beware: this is a pirate or bootleg and is very likely of inferior quality to official licensed product.” If it helps, you’re welcome to link to or quote from my article.

May I also suggest the creation of a sticky forum thread, with a generic title, like “Bootleg and Pirate Releases”? You could also link to that alongside each confirmed or suspected bootleg, then potential buyers could easily find the best place to discuss individual titles.

I took a special interest in this subject, partly because many friends in the industry are having their hard work and property ripped off, and because with multiple shady releases of individual titles, it’s so difficult for fans to know which silent and early film releases are of decent quality. With the woeful state of original materials on so many spaghetti westerns, the latter applies here too.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I think several Divisa and/or LLamentol releases have a “bootleg” label next to them, but the number is few

Divisa are perhaps the leading non-major label in Spain and as legit as they come. Llamentol are out-and-out thieves.