"Duel in the Sun" (1946/ King Vidor, Otto Brower, William Detierle

If you adjust inflation, this is the most successful western of all time. It was one of the biggest and most epic films of it’s day. Directed by over seven directors. And Gregory Peck’s first major role. I have only seen the humongous opening scene. Have any of you seen it? It has been called one of the best movies of all time and one of the most amusingly bad films of all time! How is it?

I would say it is neither of the above.
A bit too melodramatic, soap operaish in style for some it is a pretty decent film nevertheless in my opinion. Not my favourite western by a long long way but perfectly fine. Gregory Peck is always good value and Jennifer Jones is hot so worth seeing on that basis alone.

Kind of an Able and Cain flick. A lot of sweeping vistas. I love Peck’s horse “Dice”, he should have got best suporting actor. I be generous and say 7 out of 10. Worth watching. My 2c.

[quote=“Phil H, post:2, topic:1367”]I would say it is neither of the above.
A bit too melodramatic, soap operaish in style for some it is a pretty decent film nevertheless in my opinion. Not my favourite western by a long long way but perfectly fine. Gregory Peck is always good value and Jennifer Jones is hot so worth seeing on that basis alone.[/quote]pretty much agree with everything you say here phil. long time since i’ve seen this film and to be honest can’t remember much about it apart from the climax which was quite downbeat for when film was made.

I’m watching this film at the moment (I’m about halfway) and all I can say is that it’s excellent. There are great performences (especially from Cotten) and I love the photograhy in it, all people on horizion framed against the seting sun. It has a consistant tone, which is quite suprising as it had seven directors, but I suppose this is down to the (seemingly) boundless energy of the producer (and co-script writer and part director of the film) David O. Selznick. Up to now, it’s an eight out of ten movie for me.