Duel in the Eclipse / Réquiem para el gringo (José Luis Merino, 1968)

In the Wild East release, the sliced hand shows up at the 40:37 mark, according to the counter on my player, right after the knife has gone into the hand but there is no blood to be seen and the fingers are curled. At the 40:51 mark, you see Mr. Sliced Hand get shot and you can see the blood running down his wrist, but his hand is out of shot above the top of the screen. At the 41:06 mark, the bloody knife is retrieved from the post it has been thrown into but Mr. Sliced Hand is no longer attached to it, the knife apparently having sliced through the rest of his hand as he fell to the ground after being shot.

1 Like

Thanks!

What happens next can be seen at 40:43 in the version posted here by morgan a number of years ago (Reply#166).
However, we must not forget that this cut includes a chaste version of the bathtub scene and is completely missing the killing during the final shootout of which I have spoken above, subjected to censorship (1:33:35)

1 Like

I see now! Yes, the knife slicing through the hand is definitely not seen in the Wild East release and I agree that it definitely should be added to any future release.

The Greek PAL VHS tape does not have the body sliding against the wall, nor the bloody hand

2 Likes

Brilliant music and an offbeat spaghetti just like Tinto Brass’ Yankee.

1 Like

Duel in the Eclipse has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

New poll on this one too, guys. Top of the page as usual.

1 Like

Just watched this one for the first time. Not sure what was going on with the leopard print poncho, but otherwise I really liked the mythos the protagonist (Logan) creates in exacting his revenge (as if he is some kind of otherworldly character). The setup for this could be better, but it’s such a fun gimmick that I didn’t want to question it too much.

Also an interesting turn in narrative structure by having the main villains disappear one by one and the protagonist choosing to reveal how each one died to Carranza in flashbacks, which further builds and punctuates the mythology just before the final showdown under the eclipse.

Plus, gotta love Fernando Sancho playing Fernando Sancho. Though he plays the same type of villain so many movies, it never gets old to me.

3 Likes