Duck, You Sucker! / Giù la testa (Sergio Leone, 1971)

Which Blu-ray release did you buy?

Yes - I’d agree. This should have been as big as Leone’s other films had it been properly handled internationally. It’s an absolutely fantastic movie that qualifies as one of the most underrated films of all time.

I bought the Blu-ray that Amazon’s offers. I think it is the standard U.S. release.

Ah ok, I was wondering if you’d bought the Italian release as I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I think the two disc region 1 DVD is the best release of this film. It has the extended ending, as well as an option between watching it with the original mono or the 5.1 track.

I thought the Italian Blu-ray (aside from some other issues) was the only one that got the audio right…

Does it have English audio?

I got the Italian Blu and it refuses to play on my multi-region player.

That’s weird. Does your player switch regions in the regular way - i.e. you have to boot it up pressing a number on the remote control? If so it should function exactly like a region B player (since the coding is from the hardware and not any software).

It just plays everything automatically and I already have A and B discs. I haven’t had any problems. This is the only one that says there’s an error with the region.

Wow - they make them like that now? When I bought mine (probably about 6 or 7 years ago), the only way was to reboot the machine in a different region. Unlike DVD players where you could just modify the software so everything would play automatically, in BD players it was a hardware thing. Essentially, I believe I have a region A chip, a region B chip (and I suppose a region C chip although I’ve never tried) all inside one box.

Hey if you’ve got no use for it, I might be up for taking it off your hands as a trade for something (I always meant to buy it but never did). Where are you located?

If that’s a first important clue, these 25 seconds offer absolute certainty

From 4:50 to 5:15
WARNING watch - and listen carefully :wink: - only if you’ve seen the movie before

A scarring experience for John: “Io non ti giudico, Villega. L’ho fatto una sola volta in vita mia…”

If it was certain, people would not discuss that anymore.

If Leone wanted him to be Sean, he failed to make that clear. This is all very muddled.

The same thing happens to Cheyenne’s Theme at the end of Once Upon

As for the scene in which Villega is tortured, I think that not including it in the final version was a good decision, because that would have changed our perception of the sequence showing Villega’s betrayal (one of my five most favourite scenes together with the locomotive conversation).

On the other hand I have to say I never particularly liked the opening scene.

Maybe not 100% certain, but certainly explanation that makes most sense.

Btw, this 8 and 1/2 minutes above easily surpass anything any other director made in the genre in terms of emotional impact.

It’s strange how Morricone claims it’s just a vocalization and not meant to represent his name.

Not for me. The flashbacks 1 and 3 are not that good. Too much slo mo, too much cheesy music.

Leone was generally not very good in creating emotions, or in creating believable characters (Tuco is the rule confirming exception).
In that respect Peckinpah beats him every day.

What do you mean?

Which then means that Sean is not Sean.

I meant in spaghetti western genre, not western genre in general :wink:

Either that, or maybe music was made prior to filming the whole movie and Leone and others like most of us heard “Sean”, so when the scene in wich Coburn says his name before flashback came, they got the idea that he first says “Sean”.

1 Like

That in both cases the theme music for the character trails off accompanying the moment of death.