Duck, You Sucker! / Giù la testa (Sergio Leone, 1971)

I have owned this movie for 2 years and still have yet to watch it. I know, I know, heresy!

Every time I think I’ll sit down and watch it I reconsider and grab something else. Don’t really know why?!?

Despite the shaky consensus, it’s well worth a look, and I’d say ASAP since you’ve got it. Without necessarily agreeing as to it’s position in the scheme of things, I do agree with Stanton inasmuch as this film is clearly a cut above even the most respected of the non-Leone films, in terms of the craft at work. Immediately you can see that this is a genre-escapimg, Dollars trilogy-quality build. Whether you ultimately connect with the plot which tends to drag in places or the characters is another matter.

I find DYS waaaaaaay better than GBU, for the most part. GBU has a handful of better scenes, but as an entire film, I go with DYS

I love Leone of course like most any fan of the genre think all his westerns belong at the very top of any top 20 list- except for DYS. This movie just didn’t work for me and it doesn’t even make my top 20.

Agreed. Watched it and it did very little for me. Unfortunately, 2/5 stars.

It’s very difficult for me to pick a favourite Leone film. Sometimes it all depends on the mood. I consider A Fistful of Dynamite to be one of the greatest films of all time. It’s much more than just a spaghetti western. If it had been released internationally with the French title, ‘Once upon a time… the revolution,’ I think that it would have become an instant classic. A Fistful of Dynamite is equal to Once Upon a Time in the West, The Good, the bad and the ugly, as well as his gangster epic, Once Upon a Time in America. A highly underrated film that was dismissed as exploitation due to its title.

^Sadly for me, this is my least favorite Leone film. The last time i watched it i barely made through the end, it was quite a struggle to stay awake. Top 30 for sure hmmmm maybe.

I guess that just shows we all have different tastes. I have only ever watched the 157 minute version and I’ve always been blown away. Most people I’ve shown it to were pleasantly surprised, as well, and considered it a genuine masterpiece.

Like many here it would seem I enjoy this one more with every viewing. A much more emotional film than we expect from Leone with multi layered characters. I like both lead actors but must admit that Steiger just doesn’t quite do it for me in this role. His accent is poor and I can’t help but feel that a different choice for his role (Volote maybe or Salerno) would have made it better. Good film though either way.

Or Eli Wallach who was Leone’s first choice for the role.

Yes, Wallach definitely springs to mind. But as I think Stanton (or someone) mentioned earlier the risk with Wallach is that he would have been too close to Tuco.

I think I read somewhere that the financial ‘backers’ behind the Film had ‘insisted’ that Leone hire a ‘big name’ like Rod Steiger - in order to ‘sell’ the film…? I could be wrong?

Rod Steiger had previously received glowing accolades for his performance in ‘In The Heat of the Night’ (another magnificent Film, directed by Norman Jewison), as a bigoted Lawman, playing next to the great Sidney Pottier.

Even though Leone had already promised the role of ‘Juan’ to the ever-superb Eli Wallach - Leone had to ‘bend’ to the Financial backers demands, and hire Steiger, instead.

Leone and Wallach, who had had a very amiable relationship up until this time (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly), did, I understand, fall out for many years over this issue, but eventually ‘made up’.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this…

Toscano.

My thoughts exactly. Much like why I’m glad Eastwood didn’t accept the role of Harmonica.

I totally agree with you on this. Thank goodness Clint turned down the role…it would have - to myself, at least - taken something away from the mythology of the iconic ‘Man With No Name’ character.

Who can forget the beautiful closing shot of Clint Eastwood, as he rides off, into Spaghetti legend, at the end of ‘The Good, The Bad and the Ugly’…

He came from? And he rides off to?

Not that it has anything to do with anything or alters your point in the least, but I think the legend starts with GBU and ends with Fistful.

Cheers for that, Morgan, and quite right, as ‘The GBU’ is a sort of prequel, and the events depicted (Civil War), are events prior to ‘Fistful’ and ‘FAFDM’.

What I was trying to say, was that the ‘Man With No Name’ rode off into ‘legend’, at least in the Cinema going publics mind, because that is the last time that they would see the iconic character on screen.

Happy Christmas.

I fully agree with your point and what you say. And a Happy Christmas to you!

I just bought this Blu-ray. I haven’ t got the chance to watch it yet. How is the movie? I have read elsewhere that it is Sergio Leone’s best spaghetti Westerns. It already has a spot in my heart, it came out the year I was born.

Good, even though in my opinion is not Sergio’s best.

It’s a great film but sadly plagued by its crappy titles and incomplete cut upon release.

As far as revolutionary/Zapata westerns go; I’d take A Bullet For The General, Tepepa & The Mercenary any day.