Drummer of Vengeance / Il giorno del giudizio (Mario Gariazzo, 1971)

Nice cover Reverend ;).

This ā€˜shotā€™ of this fellah getting shot doesnā€™t even happen in the film ā€¦ so not a very accurate cover either.

:wink:

1 Like

I just rwad on IMDB that Gariazzo was not the sole director. Aparently, obscure American actor, Robert Paget, was an uncredited co director and maybe not Gariazzoā€™s psuedonym. So with other Anglo help, maybe this is part British?

Viewed a nice 2.35 fandub of this one sourced from the French disc the other day. Best I have seen the film look and longer than my previous version by around 5 minutes. Fandub was done by a guy who I used to buy VHS tapes from in the 80ā€™s.

nice! I havenā€™t watched the film yet as Iā€™ve been holding out for a better version

I watched the first 35 minutes of this film today. I canā€™t say Iā€™m impressed. The guy does his thing with the drummer toy and then kills off some evildoers. This is repeated and repeated. Nearly all killings are the same, except when he dresses up as an Indian to chuck a spear in someone. This scene is way too long and thereā€™s on tension whatsoever. The Peckinpah freeze frame started to annoy me, because this was repeated way to often as well. The music is from The hellbenders and doesnā€™t fit at all here. Iā€™ll probably watch the remainder of the film tomorrow, but Iā€™m not expecting much.

By the way, as said by others already, Paget = Gariazzo IMDB got it wrong (again)

Thought Iā€™d mention that I also watched the rest of the film. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t get much better. In the end, with the flashbacks and the wrapping up, it gets a little more interesting. This is also due to Rosalba Neriā€™s brief appearance. But it canā€™t save the film. Overall: 4,5/10

As far as I remember it is as brief as possible, like 20 seconds or so.

You have to be one Neri fan, BL, if this appearance is a major plus for you ;D

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:48, topic:1284ā€]As far as I remember it is as brief as possible, like 20 seconds or so.

You have to be one Neri fan, BL, if this appearance is a major plus for you ;D[/quote]
Yeah, either that or the movie sucks so bad, haha.

But this is a fascinating point about this flick, there are so many well known faces in it, partly in tiny roles.

Especially Craig Hillā€™s role

Never noticed Craig Hill in the film before I viewed last time as my previous copy was very poor quality.

1 Like

Yes, this film has the distinction of having been watched on the worst spaghetti DVD quality ever! I couldnā€™t even se what was going on. Itā€™s like having 10 10 vision with no glasses.

Yea, Hill is the circus man!

So for the first 10 minutes you thought, you were watching I Crudeli! :smiley:

Well I ofcourse knew I was watching Drummr of Vengeance. I have never seen Hellbenders so I canā€™t say about that. I thought the score was just OK. But I had almost no idea what was going on. I know know that Hardin was saving a man from a noose to kill him on hi own. The next scene in that dark room was hard to decifer. As was the forest scene.

And then thereā€™s Hardin in disguise, which makes things even worseā€¦

I think of The Hellbenders at least every ten minutes whilst viewing Drummer of Vengeance.

I honestly donā€™t remeber much at all about this film. Probably because I couldnā€™t see a damned thing. Bt I thought it was entertaining. I was going to rent it again but I decided to rent a couple of my stores Region 2 DVDā€™s. I have only a few changes left on my computer until it locks so Iā€™m going to try and rent up all the region 2ā€™s I want then after watching them, go back to region 1.

It sure is entertaining!

Pretty bad, yes. What is very laughable is that he is also the gravedigger who starts mumbling about doomsday etc. Almost like a schizophrenic. I read in koranoā€™s review that he thinks that the scene where he dresses up as an Indian is brilliant. I think this is the worst scene of the film.
Drummer of vengeance is like a Fidani film, but without the fun. I think itā€™s hardly entertaining.
I really like the music in The hellbenders, but here itā€™s almost abused.
And then the main thing with the toy drummer. Hahaha, come on.
Looking back in the thread, I think I have accumulated enough own material for a short review, hehe. Iā€™ll get to it in a day or so.