1 Like

and one from Indiewire

1 Like

And another

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Entered into the database

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_%26_Django

The new documentary about Sergio Cobucci titled DJANGO & DJANGO now streams on various Netflix outlets worldwide (use the search, let us know if it is available in your country yet, saw it for example on German Netflix)

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_%26_Django

1 Like

It is on Netflix in the U.S., surprisingly.

1 Like

Just watched it on the Dutch Netflix as well, highly recommended and a fascinating watch.

1 Like

Available on UK Netflix

1 Like

OK here’s my impression, as I just finished watching it (please this is not a full review, just a few immediate thoughts, don’t overinterpret):
It’s excellent for the plethora of archival footage alone (plenty of stuff that should be new for most folks). Aside from that, it will depend on whether you like hearing Tarantino talk or not. He’s not one among many interviewees but he’s almost narrating the documentary. Aside from that you get Nero and Deodato, but noone else. Which I think is a huge deficiency of this documentary, that it has just so few voices chiming in, there would’ve been so many more contemporary persons, historians, critics and others who would’ve been able to contribute to a picture of the man’s career. As to his career, the doc is a bit lopsided towards a few of his movies, while just brushing over others. But that’s a creative choice. Overall I really enjoyed it, you just have to not be expecting the most comprehensive, we-asked-everyone type of chronology. But, it will do Corbucci some justice and hopefully help more people discover an appreciate his films, a documentary about this Serio was way overdue. It’s a great hommage, some of the archival material is really moving,too. I had misty eyes toward the end :))

8 Likes

Loved seeing the onset home movie stuff … but the first 10 mins or so is QT rambling on about himself and proposed or imagined scenes from ‘Once upon a time in Hollywood’

Couldn’t helped wondering who this is aimed at, as most SW aficionados will know this stuff already … and the rest of the film going public won’t give a damn.

1 Like

Marketing in a way, making the subject interesting to the casual audience who’d otherwise skip this were it not for that… so the spaghetti western aficionados will chuckle and pass on, but for others it might be a mindblowing connection :wink: Anyways… yeah the first few minutes are a bit tedious, especially since I was waiting for a voice in the off tell the newbie audience “Rick Dalton isn’t real, but many real life American actors did what he did: Eastwood, Reynolds, van Cleef and many more escaped TV oblivion to become western stars in Italy…” or something.

1 Like

Enjoyed it so much, I’ve watched it twice… The opening where Tarantino talks about the “meeting” between Corbucci and Rick Dalton, I actually enjoyed, maybe cos that’s the first Tarantino flik I’ve liked since Jackie Brown…
The BTS footage, especially the Sonny and Jed stuff is gold, and if it brings this incredible director’s work to bigger acclaim through the QT connection then I won’t complain… Not as great as Sad Hill Uncovered… But damn close

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this documentary. Franco Nero and Deodato didn’t have that much to say so maybe I’d have just preferred if it was just completely made with archival material and Tarantino’s narration. I really liked his views about Corbucci (except for the end title Django babble -he must have seen Django, Prepare a Coffin and should know who Mercedes is). It was nice to hear his thoughts about Sonny & Jed which were actually similar to what I’ve been writing about the film, though I see the film more as a La Strada in west than Bonnie & Clyde. But I have to say that if you’re new to Corbucci this doc has a huge spoilers for many films.

3 Likes

To much speaking as usual by QT for my liking. But his favourite Corbucci westerns our similar to mine so he is redeemed partially :grinning:

3 Likes

On the edition I have of Enzo Castellari’s The Inglorious Bastards, there is an interview Tarantino did with the director. At times, I had to fight down the urge to yell at the television to tell Tarantino to shut the hell up so that Castellari could actually say something.

3 Likes

Is that when they’re talking about, ‘Eagles over London’ ? or perhaps it was a different interview - Sounds like the same “approach” … QT seemed like he was on drugs and just wouldn’t STFU! LOL … even though in this most recent docu’ he hogs the air … he seems a little calmer to me.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the one! :laughing:

1 Like

I just watched it. Not much in the way of jaw-dropping new insight from QT but I enjoy his speaking style and it just felt like listening appreciably to a guy’s opinion in a bar or something (I mean that in its best sense). Enjoyed the contributions from Deodato and Nero too. Made me want to do a little Corbucci mini-marathon which must count as a pretty big win for the documentary, really (not that I’ve got time for movie marathons anymore. Bloody children).

5 Likes