Doc (Frank Perry, 1971)

Another retelling of the OK corral story with a twist. In this film, the Earps are the bad guys and Clantons misdeads are excused.Doc Holliday is the man in the middle. Influenced by the Wild Bunch in it’s quest for realism in westerns. This is called mud and rags style as you may know. Filmed in Spain. Directed by Frank Perry. Starring Stacey Keach and Harris Yulin.

This one has really grown on me. I liked it the first time I watched it but now it’s one of my favourite westerns of all time. Stacy Keach is such a fantastic actor.

This film’s entry in our database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute to it, for example with a short synopsis.

I was pretty disappointed. All in favour of revisionism but this was as almost as historically inaccurate as My Darling Clementine.
The relationship between Doc and ‘the kid’ also seems to have been taken from the novel Who Rode With Wyatt (filmed very loosely as Young Billy Young) which postulated a similar ficticious relationship between Wyatt Earp and Johnny Ringo who was a ‘kid’ in the novel.

This was actually pretty damn interesting. Glad I - finally - watched it. It looses its edge pretty quickly and it’s obviously not a historically accurate depiction, but I liked it for its adult sensibility and the great dialogue. And the SW locations of course :slight_smile:
Also this may be my favorite of the Doc Hollidays, I am traumatized by the likes of Val Kilmer etc. However, not the greatest casting choice for Earpp.
The finale is also very cool and very spaghetti, minus the music. Plus there’s a teenie tiny Dan van Husen cameo.

3 Likes

I watched this myself for the first time only last night (I bought it as part of a stack of Signal One blu-rays in a sale, a couple of months ago). Felt like a condensed version of events, and it all seemed to just “end” rather abruptly. That said, I thought the three leads - Stacy Keach, Harris Yulin, Faye Dunaway - were excellent, even though I initially thought Mr. Keach might be a trifle imposing to play someone (in my mind) as relatively slight as John Holliday. And the movie never dragged at any point, which is always a plus.

2 Likes