Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino, 2012)

[quote=“chameleon”]Hehehe…

To me, Death Proof is the worst Taratino film, the only good thing about it is the bar and the soundtrack.[/quote][quote=“chameleon”]Hehehe…

To me, Death Proof is the worst Taratino film, the only good thing about it is the bar and the soundtrack.[/quote]
I could not agree more.
It get’s 2/10 from me because of the music, else it would get 1/10.

No, Death Proof is a pure pleasure to watch. Tarantino at his best in every respect. I even enjoyed it more when re-watching it.

I just re-watched Kill Bill 1 (Asia cut), 4th time now, and just the same, I never enjoyed it as much as I now did. This is a masterpiece of storytelling and directing. 10/10

Kill Bill 2 wil be the next. Of course.

Maybe I’m doing a QT marathon this week.

[quote=“Stanton, post:342, topic:2720”]No, Death Proof is a pure pleasure to watch. Tarantino at his best in every respect. I even enjoxýed it more wg´hen re-watching it.

I just re-watched Kill Bill 1 (Asia cut), 4th time now, and just the same, I never enjoyed it as much as I now did. This is a masterpiece of storytelling and directing. 10/10[/quote]

It still surprises me how I can respect someone’s opinions as much as I respect Stanton’s while simultaneously having a totally opposite point of view. ;D

Deathproof for me is Tarantino at his very worst. It fails in every department and if it had been his first film I suspect he’d still be working at that video store.

During last year I revisited or watched for the first time all of QT’s films and I was reconvinced that his best work was at the beginning of his career, when genre films were an influence not his starting premise. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown all stand up today as strongly as ever and are coherent stylishly made films. With Kill Bill 1 & 2 he was already becoming self indulgent and the films suffer as a consequence. Having said that, in parts, Kill Bill is magnificent. It’s problem is it’s episodic nature I think and QT’s desire to shoe horn in too many references. There are excellent sequences, I’m thinking especially the fight scenes, but too much nonsense and unnecessary dialogue in between, much of which comes across as too obviously staged. It doesn’t flow naturally as it does in Pulp Fiction for example. So, by the end, I was left partly blown away and partly deflated.

Deathproof, suffers from this same lack of cohesion and the dialogue not only fails to flow it also just plain bores. So, once the car chase scenes finally arrived and they are poorly executed too I was left with nothing worthy to remember. At least with KB I could look back to the fight in the trailer and think “that was pretty bloody awesome”.

I may be alone here but I was also left a bit flat by Inglorious Basterds. It had some good scenes and some fine performances but, on the whole, by the end I was left feeling like I’d been chewing bubble gum when what I wanted was a meal.

I still haven’t got to see Django Unchained yet. I was planning to go last week but was flattened by this shitty virus that’s going around. I’m still looking forward to it but my fear is it will follow the same pattern.

I on the other hand have difficulties to imagine that someone can really rate DP beneath at least a 6/10.

But tastes are so magnificently different …

and isn’t that wonderful :slight_smile:

Yes Sir, it is.

It is because of my respect for Stanton’s opinion that I am convinced that there really is genius and merit in El Puro, I just haven’t found it yet :wink:

Maybe one day you will find :wink:

In that case just believe all the others who found it too.

You know, like I always say, always trust the Rev.

On balance I found this to be a decent 6/10 effort. Mostly a re-tread of Inglorious Basterds, a movie which was a pleasant surprise to my low expectations. I did find it a bit overlong but never boring as such.

I did think it was weakly plotted and never really built up any momentum or any head of steam. In that respect it was like a lot of SWs which are just a bunch of incidents and killings strung together usually with a revenge theme. The whole Candyland business didn’t really work for me. I still don’t know why the wealthy Candy was bothered to do business with two such disagreable characters.

On the casting front, I didn’t find either lead particularly appealing. Foxx played it too cool and as much as I like Waltz I don’t think he is up to carrying the lead part in a movie like this. Not that he was bad at all and the idea of a middle aged German bounty hunter as the lead in a film was pretty original. I think Nero himself would have done just as well in the Waltz role.

What I find particularly weird about this movie though is the way in which Tarantion sort of imagines the fantasies of others i.e. black slaves getting to kill whites or jews getting to kill Nazis. I find it peculiar.

Somebody should make a thread of spaghetti references present in this film as I think I was seeing links that were and were not there. My brain was working overtime making connections.

I thought that with all the money and know-how and Tarantino’s ability that this movie would blow so many of those old SWs out of the water even though this is not a SW. Still it doe not touch the style or originality of the original Django. And Foxx in trying to play it cool isn’t nearly as cool as our friend from Parma.

great, here are a few brain teasers:

http://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Django_Unchained_Movie_References_guide

http://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Django_Unchained_complete_soundtrack_list_with_movie_references

[quote=“Sebastian, post:352, topic:2720”]great, here are a few brain teasers:

http://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Django_Unchained_Movie_References_guide[/quote]

Some of these references listed are tenuous at best. The one about Shango made me laugh: "Django is pronounced with a silent D, so it also sounds like this spaghetti western " WTF!!

And what about the obvious, Christoper Waltz= Yodlaf Peterson = Kowalski

and King Schulz = His Name Was King

it’s a work in progress, let’s extend and improve

Apparently there are also a couple of references to Le colt cantarono la morte e fu… tempo di massacro/Massacre Time: dogs and POV shots in the whipping sequence.

Just returned from the cinema. This one was surely one hell of a disappointment. I don’t remember seeing a big-budget western so dull and boring ever before. It’s overlong, overblown and most of the time unfunny. Several scenes dragged on for so long that I found myself almost praying for them to finish. Tarantino’s 3-movies-in-1 tribute to the genre failed and it failed miserably.

There’s definitely a lot of mixed feelings about this film. And I don’t mean across the world, I mean just on here :wink:

For me taking something as particular as the blood coming out of the carnation in The Mercenary and appropriating it is a step too far…

Another, perhaps tenous connection, the way Waltz talks remind me once or twice of Voller (John Steiner) the German villian in Mannaja, so too did the dogs in the sequence with the slave up the tree.

I thought the funeral shot reminded me slightly of the funeral in the Return of Ringo but I might be imagining that!

[quote=“Stanton, post:344, topic:2720”]I on the other hand have difficulties to imagine that someone can really rate DP beneath at least a 6/10.

But tastes are so magnificently different …[/quote]

Genuinely a 5/10 at best for me. And that’s probably being generous.

Since he made his name all of QT’s films got mixed reviews. but that goes for every modern director. Tastes differ, and there are for every film people who don’t like it. And for a guy like Tarantino with his reputation of being cult there are naturally more people who are keen to express their displeasure.

But over all the majority of the reviews I have read was positive, but what really counts is that DU is able to fascinate people. That it is a film which very different guys call a masterpiece.

Unfortunately I’m not one of them.