Django Kill … If You Live, Shoot! / Se sei vivo spara (Giulio Questi, 1967)

I think a very good film, but it suffers from a script that doesn’t know where it wants to go…

For more info visit:
DATABASE PAGE: Se sei vivo spara - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Django Kill your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

A real cult-spaghettiwestern that apparently has always suffered from heavy censorship.

Up until the DVD release no complete version had ever been shown.

It’s a very interesting film, great music, great editing, perhaps a little slow paced, but otherwise one of my favourites.

Love the film, really slow on first viewing, but intriguing enough to watch again. I think it’s better when you know what your in for, in terms of pacing at least.

This flic is simply kult !!! I like it a lot even though (or maybe just because of it) it is very different from other SW !!!

The uncut version is very recommendable !!!

This is the last cast list I worked on so I’ll start with this, please give comments/corrections. Names are very hard to understand in this movie, in all languages.

Based on English language version of X-Rated DVD + English subtitles (seem to be dubtitles) of R1 DVD. Both DVD use an identical english language print. Onscreen names are used

Tomas Milian as The Stranger [size=8pt]: Is he ever actually called Django or anything else[/size]
Marilu’ Tolo as Flory [size=8pt]: subtitles say Lori, I hear Flory[/size]
Piero Lulli as Oaks [size=8pt]: X-Rated cover says Hoages, subtitles say Oaks, very hard to understand in all languages[/size]
Milo Quesada as Bill Templer
Paco Sanz as Hagerman [size=8pt]: subtitles say Oldeman, very hard to understand in English, does not seem to be Hagerman [/size]
Miguel Serrano
Angel Silva
Sancho Gracia as Willy
Mirella Panfili
Raymond Lovelock as Evan
Roberto Camardiel as Mr. Sorrow [size=8pt]: from subtitles, very hard to understand in all languages [/size]
Patrizia Valturri as Elizabeth
Frank Braña as Templer Henchman (uncredited)
Gene Collins as Oaks Henchman (uncredited)
Herman Reynoso as Bearded Townsman (uncredited)

Based on Italian language version of X-Rated DVD + R1 DVD.

Tomas Milian as The Stranger
Marilu’ Tolo as Flory
Piero Lulli as Oaks
Milo Quesada as Tembler [size=8pt]: sounds more like Tembler instead of Templer, Bill only in English language version ? [/size]
Paco Sanz as Hagerman [size=8pt]: Hagerman seems correct for Italian language [/size]
Miguel Serrano
Angel Silva
Sancho Gracia as Willy
Mirella Panfili
Raymond Lovelock as Evan
Roberto Camardiel as Mr. Sorrow
Frank Braña as Tembler Henchman (uncredited)

Based on German language version of X-Rated DVD

Tomas Milian as The Stranger
Marilu’ Tolo as Flory
Piero Lulli as Oaks
Milo Quesada as Templer [size=8pt]: Templer like the english version, Bill only in English language version? [/size]
Paco Sanz as Hagerman [size=8pt]: Hagerman seems correct for German language [/size]
Miguel Serrano
Angel Silva
Sancho Gracia as Willy
Mirella Panfili
Raymond Lovelock as Evan
Roberto Camardiel as Mr. Sorrow
Frank Braña as Tembler Henchman (uncredited)

1st try, open for suggestion, tnx

4 stars for a very good film

Hello,

I’ve been lurking for a while but have signed up to give my thoughts on this movie which I watched on Monday night.

It’s a very creepy movie I thought, becoming ever more strange as the film unfolds, you think you’re in safe but strange spaghetti territory till the Oaks gang hit that town and you realise this ain’t no Leone movie.

I dig how Milian just seems lost through the entire picture, like a fish out of water. It’s as if he’s in the wrong film, doing what a Spaghetti hero should but getting nowhere!

Some of it I thought didn’t work like the two daft Indians and the pointless bickering between Templer and his mistress but on the whole it was an enjoyable, different kind of film though I think it gets extra points for just being weird rather than being really good.

That make any sense?

[quote=“Sebastian, post:1, topic:299”]found this nice introduction by Alex Cox on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDJHDTm1KDk

Database page: Se sei vivo spara - The Spaghetti Western Database

Damn they removed the youtube clip due to a terms of use violation…hmmm I wonder what happened?

Van James

I think a very good film, but it suffers from a script that doesnt know where it wants to go…[/quote]

The stranger-“its time to do what i came here to do.”…what? what is he there to do? others have mentioned how Milian’s character seems lost throughout the film and i couldn’t agree more,at first he is there to take revenge on the gang that "killed"him but that gets taken care of for him,he doesn’t seem that interested in avenging the boy,and he isn’t interested in the gold.is he there to save the aldermans wife? if so he doesnt succeed.This movie seems more interested in making some kinda statement about greed,violence,mans inhumanity to man …blah,blah, than telling a cohesive story.Basically it has some cool scenes but not much else going for it.I know this is a highly regarded sw but i think it’s overated and over hyped.But Milian is good as always and the gay enforcers were interesting. ;D

Well Thats what this film is all about mans and societies inhumanity, its was not meant to be a coherent story.
If one can accept it for what it is and what its not its a great film, pure class in my opinion.

1 Like

I think it is a great film but can’t help thinking that some people love it because of the “Notoriety factor” and not because they actually do like it, know what i mean!

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:12, topic:299”]I think it is a great film but can’t help thinking that some people love it because of the “Notoriety factor” and not because they actually do like it, know what i mean![/quote]yes,i think this happens a lot, movies get a certain reputation and people just jump on the band wagon.this also happens with classic movies anytime there is a list of best films everyone seems obliged to put in certain movies CASABLANCA,CITIZEN KANE etc.i’m not saying these are not good movies or that theses people are necesarly lying when they list them as thier favorites,but who knows? also a lot of movies are overhyped as far as violence,i’ve heard for yrs how gory I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE was,when i finally watched it i was bored to tears,now when i hear about other films that are extreme like last house on the left,i always think “i bet its not that bad”.

This is a really weird movie… Good, though.

very good movie, but it needed to grow on me, because i didn’t like it that much after first viewing.

Classic! One of those films which get better every time you watch it. I’ve always been fascinated with the strange ending where children are playing this strange game. “I’m uglier than you!”, Bizarre!

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that the German version had different ending with text or voice saying “and he went back where he came from…” or something like that. Is this true?

1 Like

Yes, there is a voice-over.

1 Like

I really like this movie, it’s in my Top 5 Spaghetti Westerns. The most pessimistic film ever made ? (probably only eclipsed by El Topo in that respect) A story of the second coming ? (El Topo similarities again) Definitely a “love it or hate it” movie, personally I love it.
The newly released SPO/Cinefil/Imagica Region 2 Japanese DVD is basically a re-release of the US Blue Underground disc, there are however a couple of extra interviews included that did not make it into the “Django Tell” documentary.
In the first Tomas Milian states that while filming Django Kill he was a very difficult actor to work with and that he was hated on set. He goes on to say one day after filming he took a young lady back stage and they began making love. All of a sudden he caught a glimpse of an overhead light hurtling towards him and he just managed to get out of its way in time. He says that the light was dropped deliberately by one of the electricians and it was intended to kill him. To this day he has never checked the credits on Django Kill incase he finds one of the the electricians working with him again, he doesn’t want to know.
In the second Tomas Milian and Ray Lovelock tell us about “The Tomas Milian Group”, a rock group formed while shooting Django Kill. Milian was the lead singer and Ray Lovelock also sang. Milian spent a lot of money buying all the best equipment for the group and they had a manager who lined up some big shows for them. Milian was shooting Faccia A Faccia at the time and the demanding work schedule meant he was unable to perform. The manager sued and Milan lost all the equipment and a lot of money.

I remember those interviews from Blue-underground disc too, I think they’re included as an easter eggs.

This is a fuckin’ great movie. Ans also the strangest Western I’ve ever seen. The first pictures blew me away. Those jumping, fast cuts at the beginning were so untypical. Great. The Unhappy place is maybe the best western town a stranger ever walked in. The two different groups of people reminds me a little bit of the two families in FoD/Yojimbo. And the two indians remind me of the indian guy in Sabata. But it is a very good film, especially the ending is very sinister and bad. Uaha, good. Not as goog as the big spags, but close to them, in its way. 4 stars for it.

The only thing I didn’t like were the subtitles of the Blue Underground DVD. They were always too early and sometimes (really often) were subs when nobody was talking…!!!