Displaying/Showing Off the Collection (SW)

I have been an active new SW collector and aficionado for less than 3 years and so far I have bought and have ongoing orders together totalling close to 100 SWs (DVD, Bluray or a few DVD-r).

They have been selected after a careful evaluation process (for example by reading many of this forum’s informative threads) resulting in that over 40 % of these SWs are now rated 7/10 or higher by me, i.e. very good.
On the other hand only less than 20 % of all these I rate as 5/10 or lower i.e mediocre or worse.

Thus I assume that I have been able to systematically avoid most of the many less entertaining films in this genre apparently consisting of much more than 500 SWs.

1 Like

You are even pickier than me lol!

I haven’t really added any in a couple of years, but the last time I checked I had 112 SW DVDs in my collection, perhaps 15 BR and 12 VHS.

1 Like

I don’t have any VHS.
I wasn’t aware of the vast amount of SW on VHS until I joined up.

1 Like

I have 186 combination of DVD, Blu-ray and DVD-r.

3 Likes

Welcome!!
You have an impressive collection.

1 Like

I was gonna ask those with a high number to show, not just tell, then I noticed we had a topic for that and I merged the two topics accordingly

1 Like

I reckon 250+ when I take out all the duplicate copies.

1 Like

Proud of my Spaghetti Western DVD CoIIection which started in 2004, the same year that the SWDb opened.
80 % of them are originaI, some DVDrs (from VHS) as the fiIms had never been reIeased on DVD.
I am stiII buying, it is reaIIy an adiction.
Regards to aII
Ioannis/ Sabata1

12 Likes

Sorry - that is really cool. :raised_hands:t5::fire:

1 Like

Impressive :slight_smile:

If there are only SWs on that photograph your DVD collection acording to my best guess could amount to an incredible 700, very very roughly though.!
If that really is the case, there can’t be many left for you now to try to find/buy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment runner. Well yeah, it’s true. More than 700, many doubles, diffferent editions, sometimes I bought the same film twice or three times just because I liked the cover.Still do. I said I am addicted to this film genre which, to tell you the truth, has no more than iet’s say 30 REALLY GOOD films (and without counting Leone’s). But this genre has something unexplainable, it’s a very special mixture of filth, violence and decadence that attracts me. I guess the fact that it stood up against the traditional american western says a lot about it. In any case the DVD market understood that, so they released mostly in Germany many titles with two or three covers of the same simultaneously! You were to chose which cover you likes. Cover A or Cover B! But they were so attractive that you wanted them all!
As I’ve said in a previous post of mine, the Weisser book (see attached photos) was aiways my guide, although it has many flaws and dicrepancies. Now it is almost complete. It carries 558 official SWs, I think I have 554 or something.
Problem is that the SWDb counts way more than those so there is still work for me.
PS. The Orange stabilo means that I have them on DVD. The Blue one means that I aIso have them in my computer as avi mp4 etc. More than 3 copies for each of course, we don’t need no accidents. :cowboy_hat_face:
Best regards, Ioannis

3 Likes

Hey! Sorry for what? Thank you for your comment. I wrote a quiet long answer to runner who also liked my collection. Check it out, you 'll see the story of this collection.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

You hit a very sensitive nerve my friend.
That will take me a year - at least.
My method is writing in my Lexicon The Weisser Encyclopedia, exactly were each film is.
And they are damn many. And that’s why I digitalised them all.
Best regards.
I.

Oh man Loannis, that collection is incredible, well done. I heartily agree with you about the genre and the nastiness that seems to make even the worst Spaghetti Westerns watchable.

Still more to be discovered, wouldn’t call that a problem at all!

1 Like

Thanks for the comment Rock. I meant the word problem in a very selfish way.
Problem meaning that I will HAVE to GET them ,all those missing ones, for the collection. And that is NOT easy at all. Especially when you know that some films are untraceable. I am starting to feel like a bounty hunter of SWs…
The most DIFFICULT film to find, simply because it does not exist anymore, is the one with the most obscure title in the history of Spaghetti Westerns. It has completely dissapeared. All copies lost or destroyed. I am ready to pay the minimum of $1000 to get it in any form. But I will never do. It is a iost film. I am very sorry for that, really.
In any case, again thanks for your comment, and for listening to my blah, blah, blah…
Ioannis (the capital letter is i - but no worries, many have mixed it up with L) :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Ah that is a loss. Even if it wasn’t the best film ever it’s always a shame when any piece of art is lost to time. If anyone can find that holy grail, though, I’m sure you’ll be able to.

3 Likes

There is a saying here in Greece Rock, “from your mouth to God’s ear”.
And as we well know He forgives although we don’t :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I actually like the DVD rips from VHS - the bad, BAD picture, the falses, the old time blck boxed subtitles, the VHS parasites in the beginning.
I keep them all. I think it has to do with nostalgia. :cry:

3 Likes

Thing is I have epilepsy so I can’t watch those kind of copies.

1 Like