Disappointing westerns?

I guess expectations often have a lot to do with films being disappointing. A couple for me would be Sartana In The Valley Of Death. I love William Berger, and the thought of him as Sartana was an enticing one. It was watchable, and i certainly didn’t dislike it, but i had hoped for more… Roy Colt and Winchester Jack is another example. I’m not all that keen on the more comedic westerns, but this had a solid cast, a good soundtrack (that i had heard previously), and best of all, it was done by Mario Bava (who made some of my all time favourite non westerns)…but overall it was a bit of a mess. A definite case of expectations being too high!

SD I bet you wouldn’t turn down a snog with that beautiful Peter Lee Lawrence since he is the love of your life :-*

I haven’t seen Brokeback Mountain either, but I think I will have to see it now :smiley:

MISS Lindberg :’(

My interest in PETER LEE LAWRENCE
is one of admiration for his HEROIC/GREAT SW Films, PLL’s status as the REAL James Dean

My ROMANTIC/SEXUAL Interests are ONLY for Beautiful GIRLS 18-30 :-* :-* :-*

Please keep your personal frustrations/fixations/flirtations for your own bedroom :o
DO tell the forum who your victims…sorry I mean your “partners” are… ;D
We are all wondering and speculating :o

What do you mean you “haven’t seen” Brokeback mountain ?
You were SEEN Lindberg coming down from Brokeback Mountain
Wearing ONLY a BIG SMILE and a Pair Of Wooly Socks :’( :smiley:

Stanton baby its no good give it up !

Stanton the more you PRETEND to “detest/hate” DEMOFILO FIDALI :smiley: & THE FUHRER :-*
THE MORE we all realise and know that you actually LOVE and WORSHIP BOTH ;D

END Of STORY quick Marsch Achtung…Dismissed… :o

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:84, topic:751”]Stanton baby its no good give it up !

Stanton the more you PRETEND to “detest/hate” DEMOFILO FIDALI :smiley: & THE FUHRER :-*
THE MORE we all realise and know that you actually LOVE and WORSHIP BOTH ;D

END Of STORY quick Marsch Achtung…Dismissed… :o[/quote]

Oh, please … …

And it’s Fidani and The Führer (aka as GrFaZ) not Fuhrer

And you’ll never leave an argument without having the last word, right?

Could have won me another bet.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:83, topic:751”]MISS Lindberg :’(

My interest in PETER LEE LAWRENCE
is one of admiration for his HEROIC/GREAT SW Films, PLL’s status as the REAL James Dean

What do you mean you “haven’t seen” Brokeback mountain ?
You were SEEN Lindberg coming down from Brokeback Mountain
Wearing ONLY a BIG SMILE and a Pair Of Wooly Socks :’( :smiley:[/quote]

??? ??? ???

No I haven’t seen the film, so I don’t even know where this Brokeback Mountain is?

SD it must have been somebody else you saw on your way to a date with the boys :-*

And SD there is no need to feel embarrassed about Peter Lee Lawrence, it’s ok we already know since you’ve publicly declared you have a crush on him :-*

:-* :-* :-*

OK Lindberg It’s an AGREED DEAL :wink:

You stop making FALSE ALLEGATIONS about SD and PLL :smiley:

SD stops making PUBLIC THE FACTS about Lindberg and Stanton (military, leather) :-* :-* :-*

That seems like a fair agreement all round :smiley:

Another disappointing Western is Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid 1973 POOR Cast, Dull Plot
Too Long, Lacks excitement. I have seen it and wish to avoid seeing it again in future :’(

Concerning that gent known as THE FUHRER :smiley: my keyboard has only an ordinary U :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:87, topic:751”]Another disappointing Western is Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid 1973 POOR Cast, Dull Plot
Too Long, Lacks excitement. I have seen it and wish to avoid seeing it again in future :’([/quote]

giggle and thanks for avoiding, it would be pearls …

SD, so you turn Peter Lee Lawrence down, well it doesn’t matter, he’s too good for you anyway :smiley:

Btw, good luck with your new boyfriend, that Engelbert Humperdinck

HA HA Very funny Lindberg you type well for someone in a STRAIT-JACKET :smiley:

SORRY to disappoint you :o but ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK is MARRIED since 1962 :slight_smile:

GEORGE MICHAEL :-* says that he’s fully AVAILABLE to satisfy all Lindberg’s REQUESTS :-*

Play your cards right and George will do something musical for you also :wink: ;D.
You are still thinking about which photos to post ? WHY are your current pics so DARK ???

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:90, topic:751”]GEORGE MICHAEL :-* says that he’s fully AVAILABLE to satisfy all Lindberg’s REQUESTS :-*

Play your cards right and George will do something musical for you also :wink: ;D.

You are still thinking about which photos to post ? WHY are your current pics so DARK ???[/quote]

You don’t have to go into any details about your experiences with George Michael, that’s a little too much information for this forum, keep it to yourself :smiley:

My pictures are shot at night

I agree, only the presence of Jack Palance makes this watchable for me, also include the great Ben Johnson.

Little Joey and Marion are the most aggravating characters ever and old pint-size Ladd has to one of the most unlikliest gunfighters and drifters in western history .

I cannot watch westerns of Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea or John Wayne, they act the same character in every western they make, esp in Wayne’s case - that same lumbering gait and speech is evident in almost all of his movies .

I don’t think so. There is a sorta standard Wayne character I admit but when you compare him in Liberty Valance, The Searchers, The Alamo and Red River we’ve got four totally different characters…

Plus, he played with the fact that he was seen as this one chararacter by doing it a little different every-time…

[quote=“Earl McGraw, post:93, topic:751”]I don’t think so. There is a sorta standard Wayne character I admit but when you compare him in Liberty Valance, The Searchers, The Alamo and Red River we’ve got four totally different characters…

Plus, he played with the fact that he was seen as this one chararacter by doing it a little different every-time…[/quote]

Didn’t i say “In almost all of his movies”, too. In my opinion Wayne was not a good actor at all, he always went through the motions . Four different characters, maybe but his dialogue and characteristics were evident .

John Wayne could only act John Wayne, but lets not blow this out of proportion.

NO Cactus I think that criticism of JOHN WAYNE RANDOLPH SCOTT JOEL MCCREA

is totally WRONG and UNFAIR. You might as well say that those tiresome actors like

Robert DeNiro, Humphrey Bogart , Wooden Allen, Meryl Streep, Al Pacino , Orson Welles
ALL these are basically playing a similar predictable character type in all their films.
Humphrey Bogart was particularly AWFUL as he smoked over 200 cigarettes a day and
had a repulsive “cancerous” type voice, mind you Pacino/DeNiro have similar voices :’(

JOHN WAYNE : A very good actor, he acts with honesty, integrity, macho, reliable
A LEGEND and has made his name in Classics Like CHISUM 1970.

RANDOLPH SCOTT : Another Western Leading Man with an air of authority, poise, charm
A LEGEND in the Boetticher series of Westerns: RIDE LONESOME 59

JOEL MCCREA : A respected, talented Western Leading Man with numeorus good films
I did NOT like his Ride The High Country 62 but most other Films=Good

I think that as SW Fans we must RESPECT ADMIRE APPRECIATE USA Actors/Westerns

We should criticise/attack as I said the sort of Atrocious Boring Dramas that Win Oscars
And these bloated up so called Major stars : DeNiro, Pacino, Wooden Allen, Streep etc :’(

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:95, topic:751”]We should criticise/attack as I said the sort of Atrocious Boring Dramas that Win Oscars
And these bloated up so called Major stars : DeNiro, Pacino, Wooden Allen, Streep etc :’([/quote]

I have a better idea. Let’s not attack anything.
It’s a long shot, I know, but it might just work.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:95, topic:751”]NO Cactus I think that criticism of JOHN WAYNE RANDOLPH SCOTT JOEL MCCREA

is totally WRONG and UNFAIR.

We should criticise/attack as I said the sort of Atrocious Boring Dramas …[/quote]

No Cactus - don’t have an opinion …
Oh dear. Here we go again. The SARTANA DJANGO SHOW (repeated yet again!).
Don’t dare criticise … unless of course I, sorry did I say - I I I I I - (SD) says so! Don’t have an opinion, because SD is the man with the facts! Just check out USA 1/Balladeer on amazon’s western forum to see more (same show, different channel).

Sorry SD, but if i do not think those are not good actors then i have the right to say so, after all this is a message board which btw i have lots of experience with as i am on several other boards.

I like the old 50’s westerns but not the ones of Scott and McCrea, i have lots in my collection eg, Jubal, Apache, Arrowhead, Vera Cruz,The Lonely Man, Gunfight At The OK Corral …

I was in no way being critical of USA Westerns or actors i merely stated that i didn’t like those particular actors and explained why.

Again, let’s not blow this thing out of proportion.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:97, topic:751”]No Cactus - don’t have an opinion …
Oh dear. Here we go again. The SARTANA DJANGO SHOW (repeated yet again!).
Don’t dare criticise … unless of course I, sorry did I say - I I I I I - (SD) says so! Don’t have an opinion, because SD is the man with the facts! Just check out USA 1/Balladeer on amazon’s western forum to see more (same show, different channel).[/quote]

No Cactus - don’t have an opinion …

Thanks Rev, I’m used to getting responses like the one SD posted , it’s no sweat mate.

Cheers.

REV is it a Weird fetish with you ? I have been called earlier / recently ;

GOD :o USA1 :wink: BALLADEER :slight_smile: WORLD DOMINATOR 1 ;D

You Rev have been called drunk, drugged, stoned & have admitted it & joked so what ?
The gentleman on Amazon seems extremely well informed/factual/knowledgeable :o
I wish I had half his skills/ability/forum presence :wink: !! He took on a gang of old perverts

If we Love SWS we are closely linked to USA Westerns NOT subtitled sleepy zzzz films
That should be self evident to everyone and should not need repeating. :’(
READ WHAT I SAID instead of wobbling all over the forum with inebriated nonsense :’(

Cactus and I have agreed on many things Kinski/Palance etc but if I feel something is

NOT CORRECT NOT FAIR then I will POST MY OPINION without any deference or fear.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:95, topic:751”]NO Cactus I think that criticism of JOHN WAYNE RANDOLPH SCOTT JOEL MCCREA

is totally WRONG and UNFAIR. You might as well say that those tiresome actors like

Robert DeNiro, Humphrey Bogart , Wooden Allen, Meryl Streep, Al Pacino , Orson Welles
ALL these are basically playing a similar predictable character type in all their films.
Humphrey Bogart was particularly AWFUL as he smoked over 200 cigarettes a day and
had a repulsive “cancerous” type voice, mind you Pacino/DeNiro have similar voices :’(

JOHN WAYNE : A very good actor, he acts with honesty, integrity, macho, reliable
A LEGEND and has made his name in Classics Like CHISUM 1970.

RANDOLPH SCOTT : Another Western Leading Man with an air of authority, poise, charm
A LEGEND in the Boetticher series of Westerns: RIDE LONESOME 59

JOEL MCCREA : A respected, talented Western Leading Man with numeorus good films
I did NOT like his Ride The High Country 62 but most other Films=Good

We should criticise/attack as I said the sort of Atrocious Boring Dramas that Win Oscars
And these bloated up so called Major stars : DeNiro, Pacino, Wooden Allen, Streep etc :’([/quote]

I REPEAT My Posting as above which is a perfectly well argued/factual/meaningful post.
I am glad Cactus likes other 50s/60s Westerns but JOHN WAYNE/RANDY SCOTT are
just too important/too outstanding for Western Fans to NOT spring to their defence.
Cactus can have his opinion of Wayne/Scott/McCRea but I can COUNTER and say that
the charge of acting in a similar manner can equally apply to fodder like DeNiro/Pacino.
JOHN WAYNE was not acting similar in his westerns but WRITERS were creating parts
for Big John to act in a particular established succesful box office formula. GOOD Stuff !