Disappointing westerns?

It’s not a western, it’s a spaghetti-western :wink:

I think it’s fair to say that SWs were a broader genre than traditional westerns

Not only about cattle and cowboys :smiley:

Some might contest even that… It ain’t Italian :slight_smile:

spaghetti ain´t either, aren´t they chinese???

LOL. Lets call them Pizza Westerns then…

You’re right Avatar, it’s a paella-western, same kitchen different dish though :smiley:

No that’s noodles you’re thinking of :wink:

Actually pasta-western is a good name that’s also used by some!

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:37, topic:751”]Argh Don’t remind me Stanton I have sat through numerous Film atrocities like Brokeback :’(

As you know I always watch, study, research, confirm all my postings so I hope any
"errors" are extremely rare. In the case of Brokeback Mountain I think the Col. DM, myself
and millions of others have got the review spot on. :slight_smile:
I hope we can include you in that category Stanton ;)[/quote]

Ok, but I’m not sure now about your answer, is this a Yes or NO?

Exclude me, for whatever, I liked Brokeback Mountain. Well made, entertaining love story. Ang Lee’s films are always interesting. Not good enough for me to buy me a DVD of it, but on TV I’ll watch the film maybe again.

A semi- western imo, but if you call it a western this is surely a good one, one of the best in the last 30 years.

Yes or Macaroni Western as the Japanese call them :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lindberg, post:41, topic:751”]It’s not a western, it’s a spaghetti-western :wink:

I think it’s fair to say that SWs were a broader genre than traditional westerns

Not only about cattle and cowboys :D[/quote]

I just feel that it is missing something to make it a Western/SW/Euro-western/[insert traditional European dish here] Western. I really like this film but would classify it as a survival tale that happens to be set in the late 19th century USA.

On Brokeback Mountain: I’ve seen about fifteen minutes of it when I had acces to a movie channel. My judgment on that corresponds exactly with my prejudice towards the film prior to seeing it. It’s a love story. A soap opera type of thing. Who cares if Ang Lee filmed it in the mountains? That doesn’t make it better. The two lovebirds being men doesn’t help either. Bottom line, in my opinion it sucks. I have yet to see a good Ang Lee picture.

Cannot argue there ;).

ROMANTIC WESTERNS

I love Romantic Westerns and am always ready to enjoy/praise/vote for them.

But they must contain the absolute ESSENTIALS as BIG JOHN WAYNE would say :

“BEAUTIFUL se-xy WOMAN and TALL dashing , heroic MAN to woo and charm her”

If this DEFECTIVE Director : Ghastly Lee cannot comply with the above he needs the BIN
And I agree with Ennioo and others I have yet to see anything “decent” or Ok from Lee :’(
Pretentious “arty crappy talky” Westerns need to be avoided/not made and the

GREAT CLASSIC TRADITIONAL VIOLENT REALISTIC WESTERNS MADE MORE AND MORE
:slight_smile:

My Vote For Brokeback Mountain :-\ :’( 2005 is 1 out of 20 :’( (For the scenery)

Ok, you don’t answer my question SD, so I assume you haven’t seen Brokeback Mountain.

No problems with your opinions Bad Lieutenant, but you can hardly call it a soap opera, it’s more a “realistic” depicted story.

Well, I’m not a great Ang Lee fan ,but I can’t remember anything bad from him, he has made enormous different films, and even an intended blockbuster like The Hulk is an often unusual film with beautiful looking images (despite the silly looking action scenes).

Ride the Devil is another good semi-western. And what’s about The Ice Storm? Also a bad one?

[quote=“stanton, post:53, topic:751”]No problems with your opinions Bad Lieutenant, but you can hardly call it a soap opera, it’s more a “realistic” depicted story.

Well, I’m not a great Ang Lee fan ,but I can’t remember anything bad from him, he has made enormous different films, and even an intended blockbuster like The Hulk is an often unusual film with beautiful looking images (despite the silly looking action scenes).

Ride the Devil is another good semi-western. And what’s about The Ice Storm? Also a bad one?[/quote]
When I’m talking “soap-opera” I mean the type op drama plot outline that I’ve seen a million times before. It’s a cliche ridden story about an impossible love affair. Great marketing tool of course to make the duo homosexual, but that doesn’t change the fact it’s a lame lovestory. The acting however was pretty solid from what I could judge, but I didn’t care about it because I didn’t care about the characters. By the way, I don’t see the reason why this should be considered a western.
Ride with the devil was also below par in my book. I’ve watched it once a couple of years ago and didn’t like it then. That might have also been caused by Skeet Ulrich.
Haven’t seen The Ice Storm. But I think we all can agree The Hulk sucked.

Stanton the “inquisitor” ;D I answered back few posts ago ! Achtung !

I have seen this Brokeback Mountain atrocity & many other tedious dramas often subs :cry:

I do not want to appear “controversial” :o :wink: but as Bad LT was saying this is NOT a
Western or even a decent Film its a sad excuse for a sensationalist “gay” boring drama
that is upsetting, distressing and 100% unwanted by REAL WESTERN FANS like me.
Nobody here has a problem with what are now “legal” bent relations but this foul plot is NOT NEEDED NOT WANTED NOT LIKED on any Westerns . Thank you. !!!

So SD… you and I will not be viewing Brokeback Mountain 2 then ;D.

If someone BRIBES ME with the company & services of a delicious
BUSTY BLONDE GIRL :-* !

Then I may just be persuaded to suffer sitting through Brokeback Mountain 2.
With a bit of luck “Brokeback “handbag it” Mountain 2” will not even be made Ennioo ;D

Lets hope not :D.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:55, topic:751”]I have seen this Brokeback Mountain atrocity & many other tedious dramas often subs :’(

I do not want to appear “controversial” :o :wink: but as Bad LT was saying this is NOT a
Western or even a decent Film its a sad excuse for a sensationalist “gay” boring drama
that is upsetting, distressing and 100% unwanted by REAL WESTERN FANS like me.
Nobody here has a problem with what are now “legal” bent relations but this foul plot is NOT NEEDED NOT WANTED NOT LIKED on any Westerns . Thank you. !!![/quote]

Only the best psychotherapists are able to tell us why so many western fans are so keen on expressing their disgust with an honestly made little film about a gay relationship. :wink:

Westerns and SW’s in particular are macho and mainly masochistic. Brokeback Mountain upsets so many fans because the implication is that the manly world of the Wild West might, just might, have had homosexuals in it!!! So many shattered fantasies…

[By the way, I haven’t seen Brokeback Mountain and never intend to]