Deucember - the exploitation movie marathon

Took a trip down to Florida…

1 Like

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 16

The New York Ripper (Fulci / 1982)

Amazingly I’ve had the Shameless DVD of this sitting unwatched on my shelf for years. For some reason or other I’ve never really felt like it but as it was time for a slasher movie I thought it was finally the right moment to break it open. I like Fulci. He’s made some great films. But this sadly isn’t one of them. Too much emphasis on the gore and not enough on the suspense or characters. Jack Hedley was a really odd choice of lead actor too. Was he just cheap enough? Either way, it has its good points on occasion and is worth a watch but it’s nowhere near Fulci’s best and I probably won’t be rushing basck to any time soon.

2 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 17

Top Sensation (Alessi / 1969)

If it’s Sexploitation day for Deucember I’m going for Sexploitation with Rosalba Neri and Edwige Fenech. Both look fabulous of course but Neri is ludicrously gorgeous in this and the film is quite fun in a sleazy way. Although whoever thought the whole goat thing was a good idea needs shooting and how they got Fenech to agree to it is beyond me.

2 Likes

Watched:

Still one of the very best low-budget masterpieces of cinema in my book. Lot scarier than I remembered it too. 5 stars!

Mix between a follow-up and the remake of the first part. This time comedy is cranked up so it becomes a pulpy parody which sets a tone which franchise will follow in further installments. 4 stars.

Goofy 80s fun. Kurt is always a plus. Kim too of course. 3 stars.

1 Like

I’ve been scrolling the topic. Unfortunately I couldn’t find time to enroll fully as I did in Spagvember fest, but I will align a couple for what remains.

Today I watch an ultra low budget, Sewer Rats. It’s directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero, a well know western-spaghetti director. The cast is also based on well known spaghetti actors and it was even filmed on Gordon’s studios. No surprise it feels like a western.

As I log it in my Lettetboxd account I’ve noticed that it will be a rip-off of a John Surges flick, Bad day at Black Rock. I’ll try to watch it too.

1 Like

Second take. Now with this redneck exploitation item, Vigilante Force. The film was mentioned one of these days in a Brazilian blog. Having Kris on it, it seems a right choice but to be honest I found it nothing special.

1 Like

Third take. Now with a macaroni combat. Well directed by Bitto Albertini and with a cast with lot of familiar faces. Action packed. Definitely a must see for genre appreciators.

3 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 18

Black Mama White Mama (Romero / 1972)

Your telly going on the blink is the last thing you need when in the middle of a movie marathon challenge but that’s what happened to me a few days ago when, after a power ouitage, my TV switched on with picture but no sound. I tried everything I could think of to fix it until eventually I did a complete new set up re-install and re-tune which thanlkfully fixed the problem. Trouble was it took me a few days to fix so am now in catch up mode doing double headers to get back on track.

First up was a Women in Prison flick which, in truth, is more of a Women Getting Out of Prison flick with the great Pam Grier chained to an aryan counterpart as they make a dash for freedom actross some unnamed Filipino island. Of course there is time for a shower scene and some lesbian prison guards before the machine guns come out in earnest and it all turns out not too bad without being in the top tier of Grier’s output.

Next up, a Sports film.

2 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 19

Slap Shot (Hill / 1977)

And that sports film had to be Slap Shot. A film I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen since watching it at the Harlow Odeon back when it was first released. Fashions and attitudes of the times are centre stage but it actually still holds up pretty well and is laugh ouit loud funny in places. Particularly like the ending when the guy does a strip show on the ice and everyone is appalled by it’s lack of decency when what they all want is blood and violence.

Still another couple to go before I’m back up to speed but now that we are in full lock down I should have plenty of time for that.

Another night with a macaroni combat on the menu, this one set in the pacific WWII. This one was directed by Roberto Bianchi Montero, so it’s a second appearance of his flicks in my #deucember.

I guess I’ll stick with macaroni combat for a while, but I’ll try to pick films with different settings to avoid boredom. Maybe some partisans for tomorrow, who knows?!

2 Likes

One fellow of us mentioned me some macaroni combat titles in a brief talk by Facebook. One of those was Desert Battle, I had it in the stock pile, so that’s my pick for tonight. The main cast is great, I really look forward for this one.

2 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 20

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Leung / 1978)

Another double bill for me and decided to start this one with some Shaw Brothers. Who knew a full length training film could be so entertaining? Gordon Liu does his thing to perfection and with every scene reminded me how fat and lazy I am. Not sure Christmas is the best time to tackle that so I’ll wait until the new year and make a real effort. Honest.

3 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 21

Don’t Torture a Duckling (Fulci / 1972)

And for the second half, a Giallo. Still one of Fulci’s best films in my opinion despite the occasional hiccup on dummy based special effects. The rural setting gives it quite a different feel to most gialli and it manages the almost impossible feat of making a naked Barbara Bouchet come across as creepy.

2 Likes

I intend to watch some of those in the next few days. I wish I could have started on December 1st, not sure if I can watch a decent pile in 10 days. I’ll try to catch up by doing some doubles features as well. Christmas vacations will start tomorrow, let’s use it properly.

Exactly!

1 Like

I was wondering about this one for a while now. It’s not good. The action is a joke. It’s like a bad Batman episode. I’m certainly it would have worked without this freaking persona.

2 Likes

I watched this supernonsense a few years ago, and I completely agree with your assessment. Besides, it’s a total mystery to me what the word argo in the hero’s name refers to.

1 Like

Cool poster though.

1 Like

Yes, much better than the movie.

1 Like

Watching Inglourious Bastards… still as great as I remember

3 Likes