Deucember - the exploitation movie marathon

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 20

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Leung / 1978)

Another double bill for me and decided to start this one with some Shaw Brothers. Who knew a full length training film could be so entertaining? Gordon Liu does his thing to perfection and with every scene reminded me how fat and lazy I am. Not sure Christmas is the best time to tackle that so I’ll wait until the new year and make a real effort. Honest.

3 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 21

Don’t Torture a Duckling (Fulci / 1972)

And for the second half, a Giallo. Still one of Fulci’s best films in my opinion despite the occasional hiccup on dummy based special effects. The rural setting gives it quite a different feel to most gialli and it manages the almost impossible feat of making a naked Barbara Bouchet come across as creepy.

2 Likes

I intend to watch some of those in the next few days. I wish I could have started on December 1st, not sure if I can watch a decent pile in 10 days. I’ll try to catch up by doing some doubles features as well. Christmas vacations will start tomorrow, let’s use it properly.

Exactly!

1 Like

I was wondering about this one for a while now. It’s not good. The action is a joke. It’s like a bad Batman episode. I’m certainly it would have worked without this freaking persona.

2 Likes

I watched this supernonsense a few years ago, and I completely agree with your assessment. Besides, it’s a total mystery to me what the word argo in the hero’s name refers to.

1 Like

Cool poster though.

1 Like

Yes, much better than the movie.

1 Like

Watching Inglourious Bastards… still as great as I remember

3 Likes

I’ve just finished Face of Fu Manchu. In fact I’m a big fan of a band with this character’s name but today was my first connection with the cinematic saga. I read somewhere that it was a flop but I found it pretty decent. Looking forward to watch the whole series.

4 Likes

I needed something to put me to sleep and this one served just fine. Won’t recommend the experience though.

1 Like

I catch this one on cable TV. It seems appealing both for this marathon and Christmas. Merry Christmas for you all.

3 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 22

Doc (Perry / 1971)

Falling way behind on this over Christmas unsurprisingly but chose this one as my Western entry. Still stands up well I think with a good central performance from Keach and some excellent dialogue. Really good opening scene in the desert posada. “We ain’t got no whiskey.”

3 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 23

The Man With the Golden Gun (Hamilton / 1974)

Hardly a grindhouse low budget release but I am very much embracing my Drive-In experiences of the 1970s during this challenge so this is included as my Spy film as I saw it at the Drive In in 1975. Films were always a bit late getting to the Drive Ins so not surprising I saw this so late after it’s first run release. Is this the beginning of the tongue in cheek Bond from Moore? Can’t really remember if Live and Let Die had similar gags but they work just about here and it’s an enjoyable movie still.

2 Likes

Yesterday I’ve watched one more. Blaxploitation / Filipino crossover by master Cirio Santiago.

Todays I’ve finally spend some time with a Shaw Bros, Death Kick.

Both OK, none particularly good.

1 Like

Night session with Bruce Dern in a great role. A pretty enjoyable bikexploitation.

2 Likes

Went for another macaroni combat, this one is kind of spy movie with anti-fascist ideology. Not bad.

1 Like

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 24

Star Wars (Lucas / 1977)

First time I saw this was at the Gatton Drive In in 1978 so it’ll fit here well enough. I’ve seen it many times since obviously but I always remember it best from that first experience. Thing is, although you couldn’t see it on a bigger screen than at the Drive In, the sound quality couldn’t have been worse. In those days the sound came from a small metal box you hung on the inside of your car window with crackly mono sound. For most regular films this wasn’t much of a problem but for a Sci Fi galactic battle picture which relied on the impact of the sound it really didn’t do the film any favours at all so unsurprisingly I was pretty underwhelmed at the time. Could be why I’ve never quite been a big fan of the series ever since although it has it’s charm.

4 Likes

DEUCEMBER 2020

Day 25

Black Christmas (Clarke/ 1974)

What else could you choose for a Christmas movie in Deucember?
Still very watchable and the perfect way to get into the festive spirit during a deadly pandemic.

4 Likes

I’m trying to avoid horror movies and sad mood movies in general. Today I decided myself to go with this Italian crime. Maurizio Merli and Umberto Lenzi tag team has always been a great addition and this one is no exception.

3 Likes