Demofilo Fidani - Really that bad?

I think I haven’t seen “a Fidani” yet, are his films really THAT bad or are they just cheap… I mean, are they at least somehow entertaining or anything?

Yes, they are cheap, but that doesn’t equate to bad, there are some excellent very low budget films.

I think it really depends on what your level of exposure to the genre is, if you go from OUATITW to ONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN, you’ll wonder what on earth you’re watching, but if you have watched more middle to low budget stuff, some of Fidani’s work is perfectly entertaining. I would suggest ONE DAMNED DAY AT DAWN and HIS NAME WAS SAM WALBASH as certainly no worse than a lot of others.

I haven’t seen many of his films yet but I also really liked One damned day at dawn…
There’s some great duel scenes in that one.

Sam Walbash (this one can be found on dvd on those “Great American westerns” dvd-sets) is entertaining too but it’s quite weird film with Fidani-style “scenes with nothing to do with the movie”.

El Purohttp://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Taglia_è_tua…_l%27uomo_l%27ammazzo_io%2C_La was directed by Edoardo Mulargia not Demofilo Fidani but as you said the score is fantastic.

I’ve only seen a cut version Giu la Testa…hombre and I didn’t really think much of it so I’ve stayed clear of Fidani’s work since. Though I’m sure I’ve got One Damned Day at Dawn… lying around somwhere and I think I’ll give Fidani another go.

I saw one Fidani,Adios companeros with Klaus Kinski,Gordon Mitchell,Jeff Cameron and Hunt Powers
It was not good but not so bad,the cast was good and with another director it had to be good.
But i like the passion of Fidani for making western by himself,Leone was a genius,not Fidani but
the love for cinema was the same,he did it and thats respectable.
And Adios companeros is far better than some terribly borring slapstick western
made sometime by more reputed director!

In my opionion Fidani’s movies are pretty bad. Only “Adios Companeros” is a bit interesting. Nevertheless if you expect well-made movies, you’re wrong.

I’m beginnig to like his movies more and more. They’re crazy stuff with nonsense-plots but entertaining. By the way, has anyone seen Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death?

1 Like

Call me wierd but I like most of Fidani´s work ;D

Some of the late stuff is bad (like Lobo The Bastard) but some early stuff is really good. One problem with Fidani´s westerns is that it´s easy the mix them up because they´re were similar and he uses the same actors all the time.

Everytime someone gets shot in a fidani-western he HAS to fly thru the air, waiving his arms HIGH in the air and doing some crazy “dance of death”.

–> BsA, Shadow Of Sartana Shadow Of Your Death is rather good, I might get you a copy on DVDr. I´ll check that out later today.

And amigos, you haven´t seen ANYTHING until you´ve seen his masterpiece KARZAN - MASTER OF THE JUNGLE.

1 Like

I saw Adios Companeros a few minutes ago. Not that bad. Simple plot, average actors. The only thing I found really bad was the camera.

1 Like

hmmm. There are two Fidanis called Adios Companeros in Germany. Which one do you mean?

Giù la testa - The Spaghetti Western Database…_hombre

or

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Per_una_bara_piena_di_dollari

BTW: Both’s cast is Klaus Kinski, Jack Betts, Gordon Mitchell, Jeff Cameron

[quote author=Bill san Antonio link=topic=34.msg1669#msg1669 date=1137014612]
I’m beginnig to like his movies more and more. They’re crazy stuff with nonsense-plots but entertaining. By the way, has anyone seen Shadow of Sartana… Shadow of Your Death?

‘Passa Sartana … e l’ombra della tua morte’ is one of the worst and boring Fidani westerns !!! Only for trash/Fidani fans !!!

after ive seen a fidani i cant understand why i suffered through all that crap when i seen it before and knew it would be that painful but still i keep watching them

Can anyone post some info about original aspect ratios of Fidani’s movies? As far as i know some of them were shot in 1.33:1, but not all of them, but i may be wrong

I remember reading some where that some of his later westerns were sort of done in mind for showing on T.V quite soon after they were released, and this may be one reason (aswell as cost) why alot of his westerns are not in 2.35 ?

They were all shot in Panoramico (which is 1,66:1) or in Normal (which is 1,78:1).

At least they all can also be shown without problems in 1,33:1 open matte.

I’ve seen about 6 or seven of Fidani’s films. They are odd to be sure. But I would never pass up a chance to see a Fidani Spag (at least once). There is always something that is not quite right about them, something at least half a click off in just about every scene. And, therefore, something interesting to see.
Frankly, once you get below a certain level of quality (way down below Leone), most Spaghettis are reletively low budget, low quality affairs. Knowing that, it is curious that Demofilo Fidani has established for himself this reputation as perhaps the worst of the worst.
I wonder what kind of a sense of humor he had. Did he take his movies very seriously? Did he know how bad he sometimes was?
As an example: in Sam Wabash (as noted somewhere else) he takes the time to explicitly introduce Gordon Mitchell, Peter Martell and Lincoln Tate. Then, after this brief appearance, they never reappear in the film. What the fuck? Is this just incompetence? Carlessness? Post-modern brilliance?
If I knew how Demofilo Fidani explained this to himself it would go a long way in helping me to understand his movies. But, the truth is, there’s probably not much to understand. I just enjoy them.

1 Like

I’m trying to avoid the “really bad” Spagies, so I haven’t experienced too much of the worst favourites, but if they are on TV I sometimes…

I have seen about half a dozen Fidanis, 2 were … well, quite ok, not too bad.

But the others were terrible, so boring and so foreseeable, that I could only watch them by heavily using the fast forward button (God’s most merciful invention).

My worst SW so far is at least a Fidani:

Django and Sartana are coming … it’s the End

It is

Reminds me that I rated Fidani in the “golden days” of forum discussions with 14,5 / 2 000, later 14,5 / 20 000, which was a bit exaggerated. ::slight_smile:

I’ve seen 10 of his movies and like 'em for the same reasons as RF ! They are among the worst SWs (Crea’s and Lattanzi’s are worse) but somehow (in a strange way) I enjoy them and dig one out from time to time to watch it.

I couldn’t get my hands on ‘…e vennero in quattro per uccidere Sartana!’, ‘Ed ora… raccomanda l’anima a Dio!’, 'Era Sam Wallach… lo chiamavano ‘così sia’ and ‘Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno… Django e Sartana all’ultimo’ yet !

I need to have them all ;D !!!

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:19, topic:60”]I couldn’t get my hands on ‘…e vennero in quattro per uccidere Sartana!’, ‘Ed ora… raccomanda l’anima a Dio!’, 'Era Sam Wallach… lo chiamavano ‘così sia’ and ‘Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno… Django e Sartana all’ultimo’ yet !

I need to have them all ;D !!![/quote]

Sam Wallach is easy to get mate. It’s on loads of those cheap Mill Creek or St Clair box sets of 10, 20 or 50 westerns under the title Savage Guns.