Death Sentence / Sentenza di morte (Mario Lanfranchi, 1968)

This dude “IndioBlack” actually joined the forum for the sole purpose of attacking Franco Cleef. Suffice to say I wasn’t too happy about it.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=394

Yes, and I know who that guy is and why he showed up over here to try to gain support for his fight against Franco Cleef.
He is a very sad case, indeed.

This is on my top ten Spaghetti’s of all time.
Loved it since my initial viewing.
The only hinderance is in the final act.
Milian’s death is rather lame.

I watch it again, still consider the editing between episodes a fail, but despite that I think it’s a hidden treasure worth to be watched.

Wrote some text for Portuguese readers here:

Me and Phil H saw this in a pub in the summer.

From the looks of it, itÂŽs a robot.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:46, topic:911”]From the looks of it, it®s a robot.[/quote]I’ve emailed Seb and suggest he bans him/it.

I though you deputies could do that ? I clicked the Report to moderator-link on one of its posts this morning but have no idea who if anybody gets that message :-\

[quote=“Sþren, post:48, topic:911”]I though you deputies could do that ?[/quote]If we can i can’t see how to do it. I was going to try to remove the posts but i can’t work that out either, i feel like the deputy from Smokey and the bandit!

Only Seb can

i also can and i banned it.

Good work!

Is there any chance of deleting the posts too? These spam things are annoying. Second one we’ve had in the past few weeks.

I really like this film. It will be #7 or 8 on my next Top 20.

Does anyone know which actress played the girl murdered by Montero’s men? Really pretty.

It’s Eleonora Brown, born in Naples in 1948.

“Better luck next time except there won’t be a next time for you.” Those are the very last words of the lyrics of the song that close the movie. And it’s very descriptive of the movie. It doesn’t even care to be thoughtful enough for an individual SEQUENCE taken for itself to be coherent or make sense. It obviously just strings together cool elements that end up being less than the sum of their parts yet you still somehow get the idea and with the right attitude you should get quite a lot of fun out of it. The film is mostly setups without them ever really being set up. It’s always about life or death and rules are being made up as they move along
if there’s time for it.

The movie starts with two men walking through the desert. One guy has two guns and no water. The guy in a safe distance behind him following him has water but no guns. Cool setup, huh? Yeah, except that it doesn’t make an ounce of sense. Why would the guy with the guns run away deeper into the desert from the guy with the water? Wouldn’t it make more sense the other way around? Through Spaghetti Western Flashbacks [sup]QT[/sup] (=courtesy of Quentin Tarantino) we learn that the guy with the guns, together with three other guys, killed the waterboy’s brother and he wants revenge, which is what holds the movie together. Waterboy’s revenge against four men who he is finishing off one by one in separate episodes is all there is to the plot. They are all killed in funny ways but let me just tell you about how the first “episode” ends.

At night the two men take a break and they take a nap in the cozy desert sand (the duo-gun man rests next to a cross that sticks out of the sand in the middle of the desert) while waterboy uses the time to build a fake well out of stones that lie around. You see, earlier that day waterboy yelled to duo-gun man: “Hey, behind that dune over there is a well. Look, fresh water. Yum! (drinking the same old water he’s been carrying around all along)” So the next morning (waterboy wasn’t anywhere in sight) duo-gun man checks behind that dune and lo and behold, a well! He robs to it, looks into it and
all he sees is more sand. That’s waterboy’s cue to show up and shoot him dead. Waterboy pushes the body into the stone circle. His final resting place.

It says a lot if I have to say that out of all the Spaghetti Westerns I’ve seen this is the most incoherent one. I can’t even say that it is full of plot holes because it is LIKE a surreal piece, which per definition can’t have plot holes. Yet it never really emits a surreal vibe. The film is well-shot with a lot of nice touches from start to finish in the shape of camera movement and composition, it looks more professionally made than most SWs, the visuals alone make it worth seeing for genre fans. The music is a lot of cool fun, it isn’t very melodic and most of the time it’s rather minimal, for example single pluckings of guitar strings.

6/10

I finally saw this one the other day. Loved it! Revenge westerns are my favorite, and this one did not disappoint. The cast was brilliant. Conte, Salerno, and Celli were just great in their parts. Milian however stole the show. His Albino was outrageous! It’s roles like that and “Il Gobbo”, from Rome Armed To The Teeth, that make Tomas Milian my favorite Euro-Cult actor. As for Robin Harris, it’s a shame that didn’t do any more Spags, I thought he made a good SW antihero. 5 Stars for me.

I’m all with you RamonRed. :slight_smile:
Yes, it’s a true gem and unique piece of cinema. Not perfect, but wonderful example of European surrealism in a western. Love it. :smiley:

Re-watched it, and I would rise my rating form 6 to 7/10

Its episodic structure is not exactly to my likings, but Lanfranchi’s revenger does it better and more convincing than the similar conceived Vengeance (Antonio Margheriti).
The film’s quality differs of course from episode to episode, and somehow Lanfranchi should have had some more overall concept to connect the episodes. E.G. there is only one flashback to the murder of Cash’s brother, it happens at the beginning, and we only see Richard Conte in that flashback with whom the flashback is connected. but that doesn’t make narrative sense when the film does not return to the past in the other episodes.
Robin Clark in the lead was also not the best choice.

Apart from that it is generally well done with many strong scenes and ideas. (Let’s drink more milk 
 )

Watched this twice now. Defintely one of my favourites. Id liken this to other slightly offbeat westerns like Cemetary without Crosses.

The lead actor should definitely have done more films, let alone Westerns :wink: