Death Rides a Horse / Da uomo a uomo (Giulio Petroni, 1967)

The DVD from MGM is supposed to be uncut. If your TCM version is from the US TCM, it most likely runs in NTSC and the difference in times is most likely explained only by the difference between PAL and NTSC speeds.

Thanks for that Sundance.

I have done my testing though and I think you are right.

I always tend to forget about the NTSC difference.

I picked up the U.K from E.Bay for a good price, and is the best print yet I think, even though things could be better perhaps, but it is good enough for me.
You have to learn to come to a stop sometimes.

The Turner print is a lighter, but more washed out colour wise than the U.K print.
So, I may keep that one aswell for now!!!

Its the directors best film as most of you agree.
I have seen his other westerns and cannot understand why they are not a patch on this one.
The best thing about the other ones is Morriconeā€™s scores, which I find interesting to listen to in their own right.

I have an original British Quad poster to Death, and is a really outstanding poster, so if thats your thing, look out for it.

Thanks.

I caught this on the Starz Western channel todayā€¦Damn good movie

Same Here. to tell the truth ā€œDeath Rides a Horseā€ is probably my favorite western.

came on Encore here, just watched it. Awesome fucking movie. Iā€™d never seen it before. it rocks!!!

This is a much overrated film.
I never understood why so much Italo fans like it. Petroni is a more mediocre director who lacks the real inspiration. Petronis films are as good as their screenplays,and Vincenzoniā€™s screenplay (the only one he wrote alone) is a lesser one compared to his contributions to the films of Leone and Corbucci.
There are some good scenes along the way, but not enough for an outstanding movie. And every moment which works reminds me of a similar, much better one in earlier films, especially For a Few Dollars More.

I saw this film in a theater in NYC last night and loved it. They had an old UK print which was a bit scratchy but it was worth it to see it on film in a theater. I really enjoyed it a lot. LvC was at his best and John Philip Law did a great job.
I think they tried a little to hard to have him look like Clint Eastwood, but that didnā€™t take away from the film. As always Morricone did an excellent job on the sound track. I liked the story too it wasnā€™t the same old revenge for the murdered family story.

Really good SW !!! Certainly belongs in the top 20 !!!

Yes, it does :slight_smile: Van Cleef is great in it, it contains many classic scenes, great music by maestro Morricone and itā€™s a really good version of classic revenge story.

I thought I posted this yesterday but anyhow I own the UK MGM release and its lovely.

Worth buying.

This is probably my favorite western!

Youā€™re repeating yourself :wink:

So I did. its the movie its so powerful it does that to you! hahaha :slight_smile:

I saw this film recently. I liked it a lot. There is also a great twist in the story which I wont spoil. There are some flaws but overall the performances were pretty solid.

I have three copies of this movieā€¦ I believe they all look the exact same. One was a Direct Source single DVD, one was a double sided disc or something with Beyond the Law and then I have it in an eight western set or something crazy like that. I really like the movie and plan on buying the R2 one day!

Lee Van Cleef has such an awesome presence.

i have a Japanese release, does anybody know if there is a better version

I got the MGM version it runs 110 min and is in 2.35:1 ratio

to be honest, i just i saw leones movie, in fact hardly beginning to be fan of western spaghetti (since 8 months ago)but, as it is already 'couse i has been reading on others westerns (exactly of sub-generate spaghetti). So, about this, looks great specialy this one if my mind doesnt wrong, the music is from Morricone.

Adios.

This is one of my favesā€¦LVC makes this movie!

Iā€™d put it in my personal top ten.

Yep, this is one terrific flick alright, probably in my top five and my overall favorite non-Leone spaghetti (the first Django film being the only possible exception). But I must admit, no LVC and this film doesnā€™t rank nearly as high on my list. He does indeed make the movie.