Deadlock (Roland Klick, 1970)

The ending seems to me completely ridiculous. That whole scene Mr Sunshine goes insane and then Kid takes the tommygun and shoots him. After he killed The Girl? Couldn’t he do something to prevent it? He didn’t look like he didn’t care about her. I wonder if mauser was empty, but it doesn’t really matter. Or maybe I didn’t get something?
Also, I wonder what would Kid do if Mr Sunshine wouldn’t kick him out of the car when they were leaving. Oh, Mr Sunshine, could you stop, I actually forgot to take the money with me.
Well, he probable knew Sunshine’s character well to predict it, but really?

It probably was, but I agree, that’s not the point here.

The point I think is that Kid all the way suspects that Sunshine is the one who tried to kill him when jumping on the train after the heist. He vents this suspicion earlier on (in the scene where Sunshine lies on Charles’ bed and Kid on the floor), but at the end Kid wants to make certain. Kid deliberately arranges for the showdown, then throws Sunshine the bullet taken out of his arm and asks him if it is his. This time Sunshine, having the (only) loaded gun, confirms it. Then, while Sunshine is raging and fuming, Kid takes the gun from him and shoots him.

Yes he could, but he didn’t.

If proven wrong, Kid could have gone back to Deadlock for the money after they split.

Yes, I understand why Kid is doing this, that he wants to make certain that Sunshine tried to kill him, I have a problem with that scene when Sunshine is raging and fuming and Kid just takes the tommygun from him too easily. That whole approach of the scene is weird. I would rather see something like a showdown mauser vs. tommygun, without that weird shouting of Sunshine and then going down like a bitch without a fight.

Ok, that seems reasonable.

Yes, I agree, that scene is kind of weird. First, it’s like Sundance will shoot Kid, never mind the money, then it’s like he loses his nerve, then he gives up the gun without much fight, then he all of a sudden realises that Kid will shoot him. I think that ending is quite clever though, but then I seem to like such weird stuff.

Watched this for the first time the other week and western or not I thought it was a pretty good film, a bit strange maybe but In never mind that.

Then it might be closer to Kill The Wicked which is one of my new favorites, but I suspect it is closer to Mátalo. The short piece with music by Can in this thread might strengthen my suspicion, compared to the more subtle score by Lavagnini. But Deadlock seems interesting anyhow even if it is not a SW by definition.

Didn’t see it mentioned yet that Vinegar Syndrome released a 4k scan blu ray for Deadlock last year.

I guess it was also released in Germany by the label Subkultur

Here’s the 4K trailer:

1 Like

well it has always been n the database and up to date, but there was no discussion on here

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Deadlock/BluRay