Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows / Inginocchiati straniero … I cadaveri non fanno ombra! (Demofilo Fidani, 1970)

LoL I also saw it a few days ago - also via the Mill Creek set. One thing which stood out to me was that IMO the film quality was unusually high - excellent resolution and vivid colors. The audio was above average too.

This is an average movie or may be best of fidani and also has a great score ,too.

Jack Bets is nice in this movie but i think that Fidani couldn’t use him very well if i was the director…

and i dont know why Fidani likes zooming in his movies but the zooming was not very professional

u can compare his zooms with Sergio leone in “Duck you sucker”…

I heard a rumour that some of the films on the 44 film set are rips from legitimate releases. Im not sure how I feel about that as it may discourage legimate restorations in the future but on the other hand the set is great value for money. As for the movie in question I wouldn’t compare it to a big budget Leone film, its a good effort for its paltry budget however.

It’s a very good set for the money despite some of the copies not being the best. As a starter set it’s pretty much peerless. Django Kill, Keoma, Mannaja, Django the Bastard, a couple of Sartana movies, Death Rides a Horse, The Grand Duel, Four of the Apocalypse, The Price of Power… that’s an outstanding clutch of movies to kick off a Spag collection! And at the other end of things, there’s the unintentionally hilarious White Comanche, and of course Apache Blood, a movie that’s not a Spag at all and which, in my humble opinion, stands unchallenged as the worst western ever made. But these movies need to be seen too; they’re the battle scars, the rites of passage for any western fan. :slight_smile:

(An even better set imho would be the clumsily titled The Best of Spaghetti Westerns in the Tradition of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A must-have, I reckon)

As to Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows - definitely the best Fidani I’ve seen, and it’s actually a film I liked even more on a repeat viewing. It’s no classic imo but it’s a decent enough little ride.

Yep. I think Apache Blood is, without question, even worse than The Great Adventure.

Yeah… comparing Fidani with Leone maybe sententious…

but i said this is best of Fidani and the starting scene tells that to the viewer.

but i can’t foreshow that if he had a nice budget he would show an excellent performance…

he zooms a lot in the movie…and i don’t think zooming depends on budget of the movie. :slight_smile:

I take your point about shaky zooms Reza. I have recently got those two Movies 4 You Spaghetti Western sets from Timeless Media for dirt cheap and there are some decent looking films on there as well. Im wondering if they are the same prints as Best of the Spaghetti Westerns as thats a Timless Media set also.

I like to bump threads.

I’ve always loved the title, so I finally watched this film. It turned out to be pretty good! The Wild East DVD suffers from quite a bit of distortion in the audio department.

If you manage to find the soundtrack, snatch it up. It’s the best out of the Lallo Gori Beat Records releases.

Great soundtrack, which moves this average crawler up a notch. Some crisp action-sequences, but not a lot of suspense until the blackmail-scheme reveal. Then the scenes had an edge to them. I lost track of which horse carried the bags of gold at the end. Lazar just jumped-off and scurried-over to the coffin. 6-out-of-10.

March 24, 1971

1 Like

Dead Men… has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like

There is now a poll for this one on the original post at the top :arrow_up:

2 Likes

One of Fidani’s better films and the one where I really developed an appreciation for Simonetta Vitelli.

1 Like

Absolutely the same with me.

1 Like

Watched this on Plex today and it wasn’t bad at all. I’d rate it as a 5 out of 10. Definitely one of Fidani’s better films in the genre. There was more for Jack Betts and Simone Blondell to get their teeth into in terms of character development.

1 Like

This is the movie that propelled her into “Wow!” territory for me. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Amazing blue eyes :eyes: Good to see her fully acknowledged on this site in the hall of fame. She didn’t always have the best material to work with, but this film proved she could provide some substance to a role when given a chance to shine.

1 Like