Day of Anger / I giorni dell’ira (Tonino Valerii, 1967)

aight, so my brother is now into Spaghetti Westerns (we got one, fellas). He asked me to show him another western, and I showed him this movie. He feels the same way you do :laughing:

I told him that I think Murph may have just thought that there was no other way of life outside of being stomped on, and so, with that view, he reared Scott accordingly: to obey the rich (Abel and them) and to do the best you can otherwise. Stay true to yourself, but don’t get in folks’ way, etc. That view, obviously, was flawed and went against Scott’s natural ambition to be someone other than a booty-crack-smelling broom boy.

Talby, on the other hand, did teach him how to defend himself, taught him to boot submission, and taught him that it’s other folks’ prerogative if you’re “in their way” - screw them, right? Good pointers, but pointers that can easily be inflated. That’s what I make of the scene following the gunfight with Perkins’ family (?): Scott got very hostile with everyone (rightfully so with the judge and Murray; not so much with the sheriff (imo) and the poor doctor. I also feel like his hostility was shock). That’s what I make of the scene after he killed Cross and them: he picked up the other guy’s harmonica and said, “his songs were sad, but he knew how to play. He won’t play anymore…”

Talby is a Magnificent Bastard who definitely saw himself in Scott, being lowly at one point too, and tried loving on him as a surrogate father (I loved him calling the boy “scotty”). He definitely felt very bad about the mere prospect of having to call the boy out. However, I feel like there’s something to that. He knew that, for a sensitive and forgiving boy like Scott, his way of life was going to be too much. And for a sensitive and forgiving boy, Murph kinda (unfortunately) catered to that! In all honesty, I think each man has qualities that the other is envious of (Murph’s sense; Talby’s bravery). Murph is embittered, probably does know how much he could have helped Scott, but Talby is bitter too, threatening to send Scott “back to the stables”, calling him “sentimental” at one point (like someone we know…), etc. Toward the last act of the film, Talby himself even begins to feel some type of way, seeing himself again in Scott during the duel - a bitter young man who let pride blind him. The last lesson Talby gives is told regretfully, “once you start killing, you can’t stop it”.

So then, my brother says, “oh well, Scott’s just a dumbass.” And… he is. But again, that just makes him more real to me. Scott’s young, and torn between two sources of wisdom - both at their respective extremes. Scott was raised to think pacifism is good, but he can’t stand being stepped on - no one does! So yeah, he’s gonna fall under Talby’s wings. But he learns that Talby’s rooting-tooting-cowboy-shootin’ ways ain’t all that it’s cracked up to be. “It’s all in the gun”; it’s all a façade.

So, Scott kills Talby, throws away the prized gun Murph gifted him, and takes the hand of Bill - a blind character who is extremely insignificant to the plot, but a character who wasn’t Murph or Talby. He was the closest thing to Scott. So, neither man was right…

Bill was right. :laughing:

5 Likes

That’s great your brother got into the genre, something very cool to share. :grinning: :+1:

Thar’s a very interesting point you’ve got there, very well thought out. I totally see how both Talby and Murph are wrong in their respective ways, but I gotta admit I still kind of lean toward Murph being the more wrong because Talby says to Scott that Murph was one of the best, if not the best lawman to draw a six gun. Scott and we the audience don’t know at all what caused Murph to have this change of heart and opinion, (there’s really something strange happening when a guy goes from being able to boot a guy like Talby out of town to cowing to idiots like Murray and the Judge) not even a hint from Murph himself on this change, which makes me wonder if something happened that wasn’t completely Murph’s fault, but has allowed it to eat away at him, tossing aside all he stood for.

Murph could’ve taught Scott to use bravery and sense equally, but doesn’t, meaning that either he decided after a past mistake that what he thought was wrong or he had to endure people saying his decisions were wrong so long that he wrongly came to believe them. There’s a story there that was strangely left out by Valerii and his co-writers.

Other than my thoughts there, I totally enjoyed what you had to say there.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the movie in a good while but my problem all along with it was that I felt Gemma was miscast. From the point of view that he is such a strong heroic type, it is hard to accept him as weak and naive. Even physically, he looks like such a solid athletic guy. And well, he was Ringo after all!

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.)

Looks good. Links all work fine. You guys are very busy and I take my hat off for that :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

aka “you must have no lives, you nerds” :smiley:

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone knows…
All of my other Arrow Video Blu’s have come with booklets, except this one. Was there a limited run, or did it never include one? Just something that stuck out as weird to me.

Good question. “Booklet by Howard Hughes”, but might indeed have been limited to a first Print run. Maybe someone can photograph it for your reading pleasure

Arrow told me this in an email a few years ago:

”I’m afraid that’s so. Only the first pressing had the booklet and we do make sure to state in our press releases that re-issues will not feature them. We don’t have any copies of the booklet in our office, so it’s only what’s left out there.

Sorry to have caused any disappointment.”

2 Likes

just went and corrected a bunch of info on our BluRay details page about this title, too. Among other things it was listed as a 3 disc edition :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers, @Dean, appreciate that! Just bugged me a bit, that’s all :joy:

It happens to us all, amigo… :wink:

1 Like

But it was a 3 disc edition. At least the first run was. I’m looking at it right now
One Bluray disc with both versions on it. One DVD with Italian version & some extras. One DVD with International version plus interviews

ah gotcha, then it needs to be re-corrected to reflect that fact…

It had 3 discs?! And I thought it was just the booklet I was missing out on…

btw, you don’t have a quick pic I could see, do you? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Apologies for the bright tablecloth

1 Like

Ha, I just realized I have it as well. Three discs and booklet.

Ah, that looks nice. The completionist in me can’t take it :wink: Oh, well…

I have the US edition it seems. There is no way to tell what’s a BluRay and what’s a DVD

This topic’s very first post has a poll. Feel free to rate the movie