Dark of the Sun / The Mercenaries (Jack Cardiff, 1968)

(The Man With a Name) #1

Does anyone know if Warner Archive’s release is cut? It’s been a long time since I watched this film, so I decided to order it.

(Martin) #2

Yes. No. Don’t know.

(JonathanCorbett) #3

100 minutes is the correct theatrical runtime verified at the time in 1968, but there were cuts before the movie was submitted to the ratings board (see trivia section on IMDb).

(Sebastian) #4

Still havent seen this. Would love for some company to do a thorough restoration in 4K for an uncut BluRay. One can only dream

(Farmer_J) #5

I’ve yet to see it as well, but the presence of a suitably violent, nasty role for Peter Cartsen has peaked my interest again.

(The Man With a Name) #6

I first saw this film when I was four or five years old on TV, so I was too young to remember the differences. The only scenes that stuck in my head were the Simbas attacking the train and the leader holding the diamonds. I always tried to find it on VHS but never came across it. Looking at the DVD, I realise I shouldn’t have been watching it at that age. :smiley: It’s still rather violent even if it is cut. Great film though. Highly recommended for action fans.