Custer of the West (Robert Siodmak, 1967)

(korano) #1

Another retelling of the custer myth. Called a carnival version of the west by some western afficeniados. Filmed in Spain. Starring Robert Shaw and Robery Ryan.

(Squonkamatic) #2

One of my favorites!! I even keep this with my spaghetti collection rather than with my standard American produced westerns. I knew the first time I saw it back in the very early 80s that there was something different about the production that was foreign in nature.

(chuck connors brother) #3

Hard to explain unless you see it but there was something sort of goofy about this. Though I found it to be very entertaining and cinematic, the action scenes are nice and prolonged … pretty violent for a G rated film. Nice dialogue scenes with Lawrence Tierney.

(Bible Joe) #4

Exellent film, in fact my favorite by legendary director Robert Siodmak (The Killers, Criss Cross). I was fortunate to see this film on the big screen from a good 70mm print and it blew me away. A character study of Custer more than anything else, the intense performance of Robert Shaw could have earned him an Oscar if the film had been a success. Sadly the movie seems to be unpopular with some people, because it’s not historically accurate or they don’t like the portrayal of Custer. All I can say: well, it’s a movie, a work of art, not a history textbook…

(Marvin W. Bronson) #5
A character study of Custer more than anything else, the intense performance of Robert Shaw could have earned him an Oscar if the film had been a success.

I concur.

Robert Shaw, as always, is amazing.

(The Man With a Name) #6

Well, it’s not very historical. The most accurate film I have seen about Custer has to be Son of the Morning Star. I used to really like Custer of the West as a kid but then as I began to read about Custer and the Indian Wars, it became much more difficult to take it seriously. However, I will say that I think Robert Shaw’s performance was absolutely fantastic. If it had have been more like Custer of the West meets Son of the Morning Star, this could have been a real masterpiece. I have to admire the filmmakers for their ambition to make an epic Eurowestern. The style of the film is quite unusual, as well. There’s just something different about it.

(scherpschutter) #7

By no means perfect, but for some reason I like this movie.
Like you put it: There’s something different about it.

[size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2014/08/custer-of-west-1967.html[/size]

(The Man With a Name) #8

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:7, topic:1279”]By no means perfect, but for some reason I like this movie.
Like you put it: There’s something different about it.

[size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2014/08/custer-of-west-1967.html[/size][/quote]

The line that always stuck with me was “shoot the bird down, sergeant!” I can remember the first time I came across this movie. I was seven years old and I found it in the western section of this underground video shop. It was a really cool place. There was an upstairs with various collectible items and a back part that was sort of a “junk shop.” Then you’d go downstairs into this basement with walls of old VHS tapes. I can remember that the three films I bought that day were Custer of the West, Dances With Wolves and Stagecoach. :slight_smile: So, I’ve grown up with this film.

(scherpschutter) #9

There was such a shop in Antwerp in the 80s and early 90s, when I lived there. They had items for rent and for sale, and if you asked politely, you could also buy those items for sale, vice and versus. I miss those shops today.