Cowards Don’t Pray / I vigliacchi non pregano (Mario Siciliano, 1968)

No, the Blake clan has got nothing to do with those characters.

That poster is the result of a montage: in the missing part - characterized by the ordeal sequence - Pigozzi and Calò are the heads of two families (Perkins and Douglas respectively), and is given more space to José Jaspe and Maria Mizar.

[quote=“Carlos, post:38, topic:1076”]John Murray: Garko’s former Captain who has big ambitions but needs to eliminate Blake

Marco Morelli?[/quote]

John Murray is played by the Spanish actor Julio Peña.

For the moment I don’t know Morelli , but he is a member of E Dio disse a Caino/And God Said to Cain cast and plays a character called Richard Wright in the West Germany/Italy co-production Schreie in der Nacht/Contronatura (1969), also directed by Antonio Margheriti.

Croatian TV (which shows a spaghetti western every Wednesday :slight_smile: ) just showed long (cca 115min) version of this film with Italian audio. Original and interesting movie, it goes to my favorites, although it is not perfect. It has many subplots, so even in long version some parts feel undeveloped and rushed, I can only imagine how it is worse in cut versions.

Actually the cut version is not worse, maybe even better. As the cut 16 min are this longish and somehow superfluous middle part which is pretty unconnected with the rest of the film. It only shows how Sean Todd does his Sheriff job by solving a feud amongst 2 families.

All the rushed and cut looking parts are still the same.

[quote=“Stanton, post:44, topic:1076”]Actually the cut version is not worse, maybe even better. As the cut 16 min are this longish and somehow superfluous middle part which is pretty unconnected with the rest of the film. It only shows how Sean Todd does his Sheriff job by solving a feud amongst 2 families.

All the rushed and cut looking parts are still the same.[/quote]

You’re spot on. That feud is exactly one of the undeveloped parts that I was thinking of.

Even if it is uneven, movie is still very enjoyable and it has some great scenes and even some beautiful shots and camera work (for example when Garkko and girl are walking across the desert).

Yes, some stuff looks great, other scenes are less inspired. Siciliano wasn’t able to give the film a constant style throughout the whole film. But overall it is a good looking film. Not sure if it is a 6/10 now for me.

Just viewed this via the Koch dvd. The extra scenes make this just as enjoyable for me. One that just gets better and better after each viewing.

I, also, watched this classic Spaghetti on Koch media dvd last night. Great picture quality, intriguing storyline, intense acting - especially from Gianni Garko. The Koch media dvd has a running time of approx. 1hr.54 mins, or thereabouts.
The music, also, was very memorable.
A well-recommended film, in my humble opinion.

Watched this one yesterday and I’m not positive what to think about the flick. Apart from being somewhat stylistically erratic and slightly out-of-focus (the narrative is so sparse and constantly itinerant to the degree that it looks unfocused), the film felt extremely uneven to me.

Both plot-wise and direction-wise, Siciliano tried hard to distill from the script as many merits as possible, but eventually, I was under the impression that the movie was haphazard and not particularly exhilarating, despite some legitimately impressive parts that made me expect something truly special. The action sequences were conducted in a satisfactory way, nothing to gloat over really. Oh, and of course its almost two-hour length that only augmented the film’s flaws as well as rendered them more noticeable to the naked eye.

Overall, even though I appreciate how ambitious the spag is, the film is still a mixed bag of stronger and weaker elements for me and I don’t think it’s going to change after the second viewing which the movie possibly deserves. With some more disciplined writing and more resolute mise-en-scene, it could have been something quite outstanding. Instead, it all feels too sprawling and too ambitious, so to speak.

My thoughts exactly, Herr Stanton. As I said, the film feels erratic and doesn’t always live up to its potential that it surely possesses.

Yeah, that scene was beautifully filmed, I loved that tracking shot. It was certainly a pleasant surprise, you don’t see these shots too often in spags.

Did a longer fansubdub ever surface?" I asked in 2011 having commented on it then (as well as in 2008).

Well of course it did, and I actually prefer this longer version. Besides it fleshing out the sheriff’s (Rassimov) character with all that family-feud stuff, it also allows him to play a stupidly unfeasible spag-game as well, with a two gun version of russian-roulette. This follows on from Garko’s cigar-in-the-dark and gun-joust malarkey. All good spag-nonsense! :o 8) ???

The highlights… for we all know the story…
… poor Lorenzo gets a reprieve only to get shot in the back accidentally by his own buddies. :stuck_out_tongue:
The whip-happy sadistic and narcissistic spoilt dandy adds some revenge-worthy stuff, particularly humorously when Brian (Garko) demands $2,000 off daddy for being out of pocket for killing his son. When I mention humour here, it’s obviously of the dark variety. This is a gritty and nihilistic slice of spaghetti-pie.

The finale stuff after Brian’s capture starts great – with even less of that Requiescant fort left for them to rest up in (as also seen in Killer Kid yesterday) - the year since ain’t been kind to that fort. But to make amends, there was more of the ubiquitous wolf-loop (as also heard yesterday) to add to the foreboding sense of doom, death and destiny that the night-timey atmosphere lends.

Recommended - Top 30 stuff and who knows…? :wink:

One that after repeated viewing remained firmly in my Top20. It was even better second time around.

Haven’t watched this in a while but I remember it vividly and consider it to be a top notch spaghetti. Are all English language versions of the film cut?

Rewatched this one the other night. First time I watched a Spanish release. I then had it down as below average. This time an English version, and I think better of it now. Not top notch in my opinion, but 6 solid points out of 10.

Good film for Rassimov and Garko, although the latter a little too much on the theatrical side, good music, feel and ending. Looks good, too. On the other side, too long (a long sequence in the middle of the film not dubbed into English has no bearing on the proceedings whatsoever), too much fistfighting for my liking and a couple of arranged duels. I don’t like these cleverly worked duels. If you gonna shoot, shoot!

From the very start I wanted to love this movie. The intro scene in the storm is the best scene of the entire movie with an impressive title track playing in the background. I don’t know why but Italians really made excellent intro scenes. It is almost like they put the most effort just in the first scene and then did not care too much about the rest. It is also the first time we get to see the sad hero of the movie Brian well played by Gianni Garko. Just right after that scene we meet Ivan Rassimov’s character Daniel who befriends Garko’s character. Both men joins very soon Daniel’s brother Robert. (or were they already friends at that point? In that case I would expect Brian to have known Daniel’s brother) Together they travel and go through several adventures. However they eventually split since Brian is getting more and more violent and bloodthirsty. That sounds great right? Unfortunately I missed one very important thing - character development. The plot literally begs for it and I’d love to see Garko turning from perfectly normal guy to a madman. This never happens. His character lacks any sort of progression. It just clicks and that is it. I still think it could work like this but if there was given at least some explanation. Maybe a simple talk about Brians’ state of mind, maybe a doctor’s examination, something like “the head trauma and the shock resulted in a change of his character”. It is almost like noone really cares that Brian is getting out of control. I just have not seen any signs of friendship between Brian and Daniel and that is what should have been the big theme of the movie. For love of God make someone care! Show how they try to help him. It is just a missed opportunity. Instead Rassimov soullessly walks through the movie almost like he was not even there in his mind. As stated above the direction is a mixed bag, there are several good ideas and nice shots here and there but for the most of the time the direction is simply mediocre or even below that. The second half drags for too long even in the cut version and nothing interesting or exciting to be seen there.

Interesting note, I had the same feeling a couple of times, especially when watching minor spaghetti westerns. My ideas about this one are far more positive, but that’s of course personal

Does anybody have the shorter version of this film in English? I feel like the additional scenes slow the film down. I can trade another spaghetti for it

I want to sell my very rare German Super8 of Cowards dont Pray.
It’s complete (at least 20 Minutes) in Color, Widescreen and with Audio
I gave it a Company to make a professional Scan of it, so i can send Screenshots of it.

If someone want it, please send me a Message

Basically Maria Mizar’s career begins where Maria Badmajew’s career seemingly ends (1967), with the only exception of a 1969 movie directed by Batzella in which Mary Bradmaseff appears in the credits. Then Badmajew came back in 1983, after Mizar’s last movie…

So it is reasonable to think that Badmajew and Mizar are the same person.

1 Like

Mizar’s first appearance - as Mary Mizar - in Don Giovanni in Sicilia (1967) is sufficient to dispel any doubt.

3 Likes