Cowards Don’t Pray / I vigliacchi non pregano (Mario Siciliano, 1968)

I really wish Koch Media or Wild East would release this one. It is so far from any other spaghetti and is really cool. Yet it has no decent release. Not to mention the only widely available disc is cut by around 30 minutes.

Not 30 min, that’s wrong, unless you have a much shorter version than I.
Actually a italian 119 min version exists, so it’s cut in english by about 19 min.

Well I said about. Was too tired to do the math.

This cut versions pissed me off, I got the spanish edition with 96 minutes (Suevia), the movie did not seems to have a coherent flux.
Even worst, it has some parts in french instead the spanish dub. Really disturbing.

I really enjoyed this one. Siciliano’s direction was inventive, the story and characters multi dimensional and the whole thing full of dark melodrama and well staged action. Just how I like my spaghettis. The film is often theatrical in style and Garko’s performance suits this I think.

My only gripe is the 19 minutes missing. The version I saw was a very nice english audio, clean widescreen one but suffered from some untidy jumps which suggest the cut scenes are much needed to give the film more cohesion.

Good movie in my opinion though however you see it.

It’s still one of those spagies that scream for a proper UNCUT release. Anybody listening?

I got an Italian VHS Version of this film today and it runns: 100 min 39 sek.
the Audiodubbed Version runns: 96 min 20 sek.

Tom,

Just wondering, did anyone manage to find the uncut version?

Still looking myself for a longer version.

Yeah, I have one, but only with Italian audio.

Let’s hope for a fan-subtitled version of that print…

I watched this again last night. Not much more to report.
It’s still a great ride, but really Just wanted to remind Phil of Lorenzo Robledo’s inglorious end in this.
Did a longer fansubdub ever surface?

Not come across one since.

I’d really like to see an uncut, remastered, original aspect ratio dvd of this one. Probably in my top 5 of wishes. And it would be nice to see Garko in a GOOD film (besides $10 000 Blood Money and Vengeance is Mine).

Me to…my favourite Garko western.

Yesterday the full 118 minutes version was transmitted by a minor broadcaster that keeps showing rare SWs: the problem is that it’s impossible to know their programme schedule and even to guess the starting time is a prohibitive task, so I missed the first 23 minutes! >:(

A shame, I’d love to see a full version of this fine film one day
Maybe this longer verion will pop up at cinemageddon

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:37, topic:1076”]A shame, I’d love to see a full version of this fine film one day
Maybe this longer verion will pop up at cinemageddon[/quote]

I really like this one. This film being slow-paced, but never boring, I wonder if a longer version would make it better or just longer? Carrol Brown and Alan Collins are nowhere to be found so I suppose they are in the missing footage. Rassimov is excellent as a man in search of law and order and above all; justice. Garko really lets loose …

Cast notes:
Garko’s bride, a striking and lovely yet unfamiliar face

John Murray: Garko’s former Captain who has big ambitions but needs to eliminate Blake

Marco Morelli?

Manuel Galiana: young Blake Gino Marturano: the vigilante leader Saturno Cerra: the padre

I think she is Czech actress Zuzana Martinkova (she was married to Garko in real life, from 1973 to 1986): pics on the left are from Per 100.000 dollari t’ammazzo/Vengeance is Mine, in which she is regularly credited as Susanne Martinkova.

Yes, you can find a couple of screens regarding Carla Calò and Luciano Pigozzi in I vigliacchi non pregano/Cowards Don’t Pray here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1021.4860.html

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:39, topic:1076”]Yes, you can find a couple of screens regarding Carla Calò and Luciano Pigozzi in I vigliacchi non pregano/Cowards Don’t Pray here:

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1021.4860.html[/url][/quote]

Ah yes those scenes are not in my version. I think I’ve seen a poster of Carla and the rifle with the whipping in the background, so these characters must be part of the Blake clan?

And I viewed Vengeance is Mine not too long ago :slight_smile: