Compañeros / Vamos a matar, compañeros (Sergio Corbucci, 1970)

I figure you would like Companeros Yodlaf. Do you not like Milian?

[quote=“korano, post:81, topic:68”]I figure you would like Companeros Yodlaf. Do you not like Milian?[/quote]I love Milian,he’s my second favourite actor of all time (after Uncle Clint 8) ) what i mean to say is that if Milian was in Mercenary instead of Musante i think it would be better, don’t get me wrong, i do like both performances though and both films get the full 5 out of 5 for me. :slight_smile:

OH. Sorry. I’s just that some people have something against Milian and I was wondering if you were one but I guess not. I think he is great too. Mercenary could have been better with milian but the m,ovie itself just seems too fast and it didn’t grab my interest.

no need to apologise mate, i wasn’t that clear, looking at my post it could have been read either way :wink:

Well I think I read it the right way. :wink:

There are at least 2 customers made covers which used this poster, and there was a superfluous german DVD (a re-release of the first cut DVD backed with Long Live Your Death) which used it also.

There are many different Companeros posters around, and I prefer some of the others to this one, which is a bit too weird.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:79, topic:68”]Companeros, if not a remake then definitely a sister film to The Mercenary, there are countless similarities between these two films.

They even begin their stories in the same manner, with a short scene followed by a long flashback for the rest of the film, until the very end when they catch up with the first scene.

It’s one of the best spaghettis, no doubt about this, great cast, wonderful score, and so on. Many fans probably find it very entertaining among the Zapata SWs also, since it’s more light-hearted and action-oriented than say Mercenary and Quien Sabe, while still having a certain depth.

But to me the script is a little weak, there really isn’t much of any substance happening from the time Nero and Milian ride out to free Xantos until the time they come back to San Bernardino. A political western of this potential should have offered more I think.

One silly scene that really bothers me is also when John and his gang are waiting by the railway tracks. How the hell could a newspaper already be printed with the details of Yodlaf stealing the locomotive, and a short time later the engine appears with Yod on board. This is just downright stupid.

I also don’t like the scene where Yod has a noose around his neck like Tuco, it doesn’t work here and we’ve seen it before.

What saves Companeros is the whole final episode which is brilliant; Yod’s raid on General Mongo’s gang, the empty safe, Vasco and Lola marrying, the duel, last scene with Yod returning to the revolutionaries.

Top notch all of it, if the rest of the film had been on par it could have topped The Mercenary, as it is Companeros isn’t even in my Top 20, while Mercenary is at #2.

[/quote]

You’re right about the ‘flashback structure’ (noose structere) : this remark belongs in the review. I just forgot to mention it, but that has been settled now. Thanks.

[center]*[/center]

Like with the two Garko/Cammaso twin movies, 10.000 and 100.000, Diecimila and Centomila (Tweedledee and Tweedledum), the question is always: which of the two is the best. I have avoided the problem a little, after some hesitations. The review was getting too long, even for a Top 20 movie, and it’s probably more up to readers to decide such things. Those who prefer This one, usually find The Mercenary a bit ‘pointless’ (the finale of compañeros, with Yodlaf’s choice, is their ‘point made’), those who prefer The Mercenary, complain about the script of this movie, using more or less the same arguments as you (a bit flat, not eventful enough).

I still prefer The Mercenary, but Compañeros is getting better with multiple viewings too.

[center]*[/center]

Still have to check the remark on ‘the newspaper’
Completely overlooked it!
(Why do all these stupid things always happen to me)

I really like the music in this one…find myself singing “companeros” from time to time.

Me too. I can’t really sing it because it’s in soanish or italian.

im always whistling the il penguino theme

Me too.

Palance’s best sw,Nero’s coolest non-Django character,and Morricones tremendous L’Arena composition and more varied musical score give this the edge over COMPANEROS.

A 5+ rating from me.

For me this film contains the best and worst of Corbucci.

You have scenes that are great, like the smuggling of the professor in the coffin, and then you have parts that are unbelievably stupid, like the leaving turtles as clues.

Its the perfect summary of the work of a man who was capable of delivering an amazing film like The Great Silence yet was also capable of delivering something as horrible as The Hellbenders.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:79, topic:68”]Companeros, if not a remake then definitely a sister film to The Mercenary, there are countless similarities between these two films.

They even begin their stories in the same manner, with a short scene followed by a long flashback for the rest of the film, until the very end when they catch up with the first scene.[/quote]

As does “What Am I Doing in the Middle of the Revolution” another Corbucci film about revolution.

Slideshow tribute I made a little while back, nothing too fancy:

[quote=“Laydback, post:95, topic:68”]Slideshow tribute I made a little while back, nothing too fancy:

Nice little tribute Laydback.
Reminds me, I must watch this film again soon. It’s been too long.

Great work

Good to have a You Tube artist on the forum (again; we had Jelle from Amsterdam, but I don’t see him around very often lately)

Would it be a good idea to add such artwork to the review, or create a special place for it?

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:97, topic:68”]Great work

Good to have a You Tube artist on the forum (again; we had Jelle from Amsterdam, but I don’t see him around very often lately)

Would it be a good idea to add such artwork to the review, or create a special place for it?[/quote]

Why not? Sounds like a good idea

[quote=“Phil H, post:96, topic:68”]Nice little tribute Laydback.
Reminds me, I must watch this film again soon. It’s been too long.[/quote]
same here, i haven’t revisited it for at least 18 months or so, i used to watch it all the time years ago.

Great movie! not a dead second and one hell of a catchy soundtrack. The only problem i have is Tomas Milian’s annoying character. 9/10