Compañeros / Vamos a matar, compañeros (Sergio Corbucci, 1970)

You’re thinking of his first couple of westerns, Massacro al Grande Canyon and Minnesota Clay, they were made prior to A Fistful Of Dollars so they don’t really count as true spaghettis.

I have personally seen Massacro al Grande Canyon, and it’s technically not a bad film but of course has nothing to do with spaghettis.

I have not seen Minnesota Clay but have heard that it’s also not a bad film.

I liked this one… I wouldn’t put in my top five spaghettis or anything, but I wouldn’t put it at the bottom, either. Nero and Milian work well together here and Palance is great as well. Can’t forget to say the music is great too!

[quote=“helu0302, post:14, topic:68”]How’s anchor bay’s dvd?[/quote]As Seb said, a must!

Must not forget that the movie has an excellent soundtrack too… One of Morricone’s finest.

It isnt a very deep movie, even with the political themes in it. It is more a fun to watch with your freinds spaghetti. The characters dont develop too much in my opinion. Okay they all fight in the end for, well you know who dont wanna spoil. but besides from that not much going on. but the actors are just superb.

I really like this movie, it’s in my Top 20 SWs. Before I saw the film, for some unknown reason I thought Franco Nero would have a tough job keeping up with Tomas Milian’s acting style. I was so wrong. Milian’s trademark “messing about” is wonderfully counteracted by Nero’s hilarious “one liners”. Both actors are fantastic in this film and their on screen relationship is a joy to watch.
BTW anyone who hasn’t already got the great NTSC region 1 Anchor Bay DVD (now out of print) Blue Underground are re-releasing it (NTSC region 0) on 31/07/2007 (they’re also re-releasing Lucio Fulci’s “Four Of The Apocalypse” at the same time).

yeah I wonder how they landed that deal. maybe BU is pulling out of the spaghetti western business and concentrating more on their giallo and exploitation stuff

I loved this when I first watched it. It is defintely in my top 10 spaghetti westerns, it’s almost in my top 20 favorite. Nero is great as Penguin, all of his lines were classic.

Who are you?
I’m the Swede but they call me Penguin.

I always thought that part was great.

[quote=“The Gun, post:48, topic:68”]Who are you?
I’m the Swede but they call me Penguin.

I always thought that part was great.[/quote]What’s that scene? I can’t remember a line like that.

When he’s going up the stairs to rescue the Professor and the two guards try to stop him.

It’s been awhile since I watched it…

Can someone please help me. I have a copy of Companeros and the beginning is in some other language. Is that normal. After like 10 mins in it switches to english.

As far as I know it, there is no complete english audio for the whole film, because the dubbed version was cut.

On my german DVD it’s the same thing.

[quote=“stanton, post:52, topic:68”]As far as I know it, there is no complete english audio for the whole film, because the dubbed version was cut.

On my german DVD it’s the same thing.[/quote]

That’s right, the English language print was shorter and the missing scenes were never dubbed, if you get the U.S. anchor bay dvd these scenes have English subtitles on them.

I’ve already said it before: Companeros is one of my very favorite films. It’s funny, touching, has great music, acting and directing and is Corbucci’s, Milian’s and Nero’s personal best. Iris Berben is gorgeous and really compelling, Jack Palance is weird, creepy and ultra-scary and Fernando Ray is wonderful. Complaints that the film is “not deep enough” are strange because we’re talking about a spaghetti western here! Most of these films amount to little more than revenge pictures. Companeros is no more or less “deep” than any Zapata-style western but it does excel at protraying an emerging friendship between two people who, in other circumstances, would never have met. To me, Duck, You Sucker is a bit like Companeros (and seems a little inspired by it) and they’re both great films.

Flynn

Companeros is quite clearly more light-weight than many other films by Corbucci, but there’s nothing wrong with that.

And spaghettis do have depth, in a subtle way, if you can see past the jokes and the bang-bang, while at the same time being entertaining :slight_smile:

[quote=“Silvanito, post:55, topic:68”]Companeros is quite clearly more light-weight than many other films by Corbucci, but there’s nothing wrong with that.

And spaghettis do have depth, in a subtle way, if you can see past the jokes and the bang-bang, while at the same time being entertaining :)[/quote]

But, just like every genre, not all of them require depth to be great films. I think Companeros is one of the two or three best spaghetti westerns ever made (at least among the ones that I’ve seen.) That’s my opinion. Yes, I think it’s better than The Great Silence. Is that because it’s not as dark as Silence? No, it’s because I find the characters more engaging, the music better and I simply enjoy watching it more.

Flynn

I like “Companeros” very much but i still think similar “The mercenary” is a little bit better :wink:

Mine is just an opinion, nothing more. I like the music better than Mercenary and I like the addition of Milian and Iris Berben. Mind you, I love The Mercenary, I just like Companeros more…

Flynn

Same here, I love “companeros” and i like “the mercenary” just a little bit more. Both movies are excellent it’s just a matter of taste which one will you like better :slight_smile:

Exactly. In fact, that’s one of the great things about spaghetti westerns: there’s something for every kind of fan. I love this genre…

Flynn