Comin’ at Ya! (Ferdinando Baldi, 1981)

I have it, but only the 2D DVD version.

I received a screener copy to write this non-review—
http://nightflight.com/comin-at-ya-a-grisly-sleazy-and-mean-spirited-western-in-3d/
Sanitized by the editors from what i originally wanted to write about but should be interesting to the Tony Anthony fan nonetheless for it features little bits of info about his career nobody, outside of people who know him personally, know about. For instance, the Around The World in Eighty Days movie he wanted to make was originally going to star him and Jack Palance.

As for the disc itself …not really worth picking up unless you’re a hardcore fan. Bare bones and that retroactively added Noir stuff is stubbornly still there.
The way to have done it would’ve been to make a release like the recent GET MEAN from Blue Underground. Strange that Tony would put more effort on that release than he would on a project he had been fighting tooth and nail to be re-released nationally (which he managed for a short amount of time) for almost a decade.

1 Like

Article by Eric

http://nightflight.com/comin-at-ya-a-grisly-sleazy-and-mean-spirited-western-in-3d/

1 Like

Was impressed with the way the Blu-Ray (region free) was restored, could only see the 2D but there is a depth to it, still very effective… there are stupid things happening for the sake of the 3D, guys throwing themselves at the screen toward Tony Anthony, like they want to get killed… the flaming arrow scene was the most impressive and the whole final act with the shootout and explosions.

Enjoyed it more this time, prefer it to the similar Get Mean… you would think the fact it was in 3D it would be more family oriented but not at all, maybe even darker than Blindman (but obviously nowhere near as good).

1 Like

So by chance I found this VHS rip showing an unused nine minute flashback sequence showing Hart and his wife before they were married. To me it sort of helps add some weight to the characters and gives context to why Hart wanted the gold so bad in the film, something that the film didn’t really take the time to do in it’s current state. It even gave the wife a much more fleshed out character (rather than being a cardboard damsel in distress). I really enjoyed it, and I personally think it would have been a good addition to the rest of the film, though it would be a pretty huge change to see the wife going from a gun toting hustler to the damsel schtick.

Link to the deleted scene on youtube.

1 Like

Interesting stuff !

Were these ever uploaded?

1 Like

I don’t know if I could handle listening to this. I always looked up to him as a great example of an underdog making it in the entertainment world.

I’m curious though, how did he start popping off with threats and lies? I’d like to hear a little more of this situation.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I really dig him. The Zombie Popcorn interview was great, could listen to him all day.

1 Like

I’ll contact you privately.

Were these ever uploaded?

Only for private use. For now.

Just found this gem, TV interview from 1981:

4 Likes

This is pretty neat, I never knew the specifics of the 3D mechanism that they used, but it’s really cool to have Tony give all that information. And to have it so it can attach to any camera is also really interesting, it’s no wonder 3D came back for a time.

Can anyone confirm the region code of the MVD BluRay?

It doesn’t say on the sleeve but it plays fine in my UK player so assume it is region free.
Only tried watching the 2D version so can’t vouch for the 3D but it’s the same disc so should be the same I guess.

Saving this for posterity

https://web.archive.org/web/20110826073411/http://planet.spaghetti-western.net/2011/02/berlinale-report-comin-at-ya-3d/

1 Like

Having watched this as part of Spagvemberfest this year the thing that really sticks with me is not all the silly 3D effects but the beautiful Carlos Savina score beautifully sung by Edda Dell’Orso. All belong in a far better film.

It’s a reasonably entertaining film actually but the score is gorgeous and of a completely different class.

5 Likes

This film’s page in the SWDb has been updated to the new 3.0 format. Please have a look and let us know if anything needs correction, or if there are facts, information, links or pictures you can add.

1 Like

New poll for Comin’ at Ya! Top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like