Comedy-westerns

I have a question. Excluding the films They call me Trinity and Trinity is still My Name, what are best Italian western-comedies out there?

I’m not a great fan of the SW comedy movies, too much slapstick which seems aimed at a kid’s market? … I think some of the ‘straight’ movies have some really witty and funny one-liners, but they’re not considered primarily as comedy movies.
I know this one isn’t popular, and it’s definitely politically incorrect, but I quite enjoyed The White, the Yellow and the Black … it does have some daft but genuinely funny moments, and the English dub is rather clever as it has gags centred around ‘Sakura’s’ poor understanding of English … for instance when he mixes up prostitute and protestant … well it made me laugh ! :smiley:

Castellari’s Vado, l’ammazzo e torno (Any Gun Can Play) is my favorite … and it was made in 1967, years before the Trinity craze

Otherwise Ben & Charley

It’s not an easy question: generally the highest-rated are

Il mio nome è Nessuno
E poi lo chiamarono il Magnifico
Occhio alla penna
Uomo avvisato mezzo ammazzato… parola di Spirito Santo
Amico, stammi lontano almeno un palmo
Un genio, due compari, un pollo
Ci risiamo, vero Provvidenza?
Testa t’ammazzo, croce… sei morto. Mi chiamano Alleluja
Un treno per Durango
E per tetto un cielo di stelle (like some other, this is not 100 percent comedy)
La vita, a volte, è molto dura, vero Provvidenza?

On the other hand (worst movie) Più forte sorelle and Amico mio, frega tu che frego io find themselves in second and third, behind the unmatched Sette monache a Kansas City on the highest step of the podium! :smile:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Category:Comedy

Out of all the ones I’ve seen, They Call Me Hallelujah makes me laugh the most. I find the Trinity movies to be quite overrated.

Thank you!

I will check that one out!

Great list, Thank you!

Enjoyed both films!

Cippola Colt. Not sure if it is any good, since I don’t remember much of it.
Two Carambola movies, which I haven’t seen, but I’m focusing my powers to accomplish this difficult task.
I somewhat enjoyed two movies Dicky Tricky with George Hilton.

I am now attempting to work my way through some of the comedies.

Ah yes, the films which are rip-offs of parodies of parodies :+1:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

It is hard to define comedy SW’s as some are full comedy and some have an element of comedy.
There are just a few of the full comedies that are good - such as Trinity Movies & Hallelujah movies.
Others work well with a small amount of comedy but many fail with a mixture of comedy/serious.

A few more SW comedies/part comedy (in order from best to worst):
Rocco
Viva Maria
Those Dirty Dogs
Frenchie King
One Dollar Too Many
Blood Money
Jesse & Lester
Little Rita of the West
7 Guns for Timothy

For me only the “full comedy” films are real comedies. Many Spags contain some comedy parts, but they are still no comedies at all.
The Trinitys are definitely comedies, but for me e.g. the first Halleluja isn’t one (for example there are still many killings), while the sequel could be described as one. Most of Carninmeo’s Spags contain some comedy elements. Actually more and more with every film he made. But for me it is the second Halleluja which crosses the border, and his last 2 Spags, the 2 Tresette films are doubtless comedies.

My Name is Nobody is half a comedy, and half a “serious” western, at least unlike the Trinity films it is not throughout a comedy, but often only viewed as such.

In the end there are many Spags which are borderline films, and one must decide for himself which are comedies and which are not.

Apart from the Trinitys Clucher made 2 more comedy westerns. Others are the 2 Provvidenza films, or Tessari’s Alive or Preferably Dead, or Ben and Charlie, or Cipolla Colt, or Tedeum, or …

I guess my favorite comedy western (apart from the trinitys mentioned in the opening post) is Si può fare… amigo/It Can Be Done Amigo (Lucidi) with Bud Spencer and Jack Palance.

There are some others I liked, but most of the ones I’ve seen are a little too silly for my taste. I didn’t like Cippola Colt very much, for example.

I absolutely loved Providence.