Clint Eastwood vs. Lee Van Cleef

I think Eastwood is a much better director than he is an actor. Had to go with Van Cleef on this one.

Welcome to our forum SunsetUnlimited!

I agree and welcome to the forum from me as well!

For all the italian work that LVC did, it sure would’ve been nice to see him do some giallo or euro crime.

He’s in ‘Mean Frank and Crazy Tony’… its good i’ve heard

It is…just make sure you view the uncut version though.

I would love to have seen LVC star in some Giallos and Eurocrime during the 70s, but instead he spent that entire decade appearing in shit films. What a pity.

Not all of Lee Van Cleef’s Spahetti’s in the seventies were bad. Look at God’s Gun, which he starred, for example. That is a prime Spaghetti Western that is very enjoyable.

[quote=“John Welles, post:88, topic:2048”]Not all of Lee Van Cleef’s Spahetti’s in the seventies were bad. Look at God’s Gun, which he starred, for example. That is a prime Spaghetti Western that is very enjoyable.[/quote]Can’t agree on the merits of God’s Gun. Although there are probably others here who would. For me it’s a prime example of Lee’s drop in quality during the 70s. The Grand Duel is one of the few from that period of his which I like.

Afraid I will have to disagree here as well, though interesting angels I thought it was shit (I like Kid Vengeance and The Grand Duel though)!

Am I the only one who can see how good God’s Gun is?

One of the few :wink: .

Maybe. Alternatively, it could be you’re the only one who doesn’t see how rubbish it is. :wink:

I know you like God’s Gun, John, but if there ever was a SW from a capable director which is really badly made, than it is this one. Even the lifeless A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die looks decent comparatively, and Corbucci’s turkeys are masterpieces comparatively.

That Samurai shit by Corbucci is really terrible but that’s mostly because Milian aint capable to play a Samurai!

Yeah, but still much better directed than God’s gun.

I thought God’s Gun was acted pretty well (the kid wasn’t too annoying, Lee Van Cleef and Jack Palance were enjoyable to watch), the direction I found to be pretty spirited (especially the action scenes), having Van Cleef play two characters (twins!) worked okay and there was some nice inventive photography. Of course, it’s not as good as a Leone or a Corbucci film, but I’d say it was as good if not better than, say, This Man Can’t Die.

It’s not hard to beat This Man Can’t Die IMO, I thought that one really sucked ass!

I actually think it was rather good. Perhaps it’s slightly too American, but on the whole, I think it is a decent movie.

Her we have the beeeeg differences in our views. Van Cleef is ok, Palance at his worst, directing is bad (some say producer Golan directed most of it, which would be an explanation), action is lousy, photography also, and the kid …, well there were worser ones in SWs, but …

Actually This Man Can’t Die, which is an average film, was much better.

Still John, hard to accept that you can view GG that positive.