Classical Music

I’m not a huge fan of classical music and neither do I know a lot about the subject

I also think a lot of classical stuff is rather meaningless, forgive me

But some pieces of classical music are just awesome

I thought maybe we could discuss and recommend pieces of classical music in this thread :slight_smile:

Ennio Morricone also sometimes included some samples of classical music in his SW scores as you probably know

Some I relly like:

Chopin’s ‘Raindrop Prelude’

Franz Schubert’s ‘Trio op 100’ (heard in the movie Barry Lyndon)

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ixGAOwCiQ]Barry Lyndon, Trio op 100 (Schubert) - YouTube

Albinoni’s ‘Adagio’

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5HNMR9elM]- YouTube

Mozart’s ‘Requiem’

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gx-N-kdIXk]- YouTube

I forgive you, but in my opinion compared to classical music most of the rest is meaningless.
I listen to several kinds of music ranging from classical over jazz to rock, but in the end there are many classical pieces that can’t be topped by anything else.

On the other hand I’m glad to read that you like at least some pieces. That’s better than nothing.

Then why don’t you recommend something more, which is what I asked for

I said I don’t know so much about the subject

I can’t understand how you didn’t mention Gershwin (or isn’t that classed as “classical music”?). I also think that Strauss (older and younger) are masters of their craft.

[quote=“Lindberg, post:3, topic:2032”]Then why don’t you recommend something more, which is what I asked for

I said I don’t know so much about the subject[/quote]

These days I listen to the Mozart piano concertos with Alfred Brendel.

Beethoven -
Coriolan Overture (Symphony No. 7)
Symphony No.7 in A major, II. Allegretto
Symphony No.3 IV In E Flat Major, Marcia funebre. Adagio assai

Stuff that I like:

Holst’s Mars and Jupiter from his Planets series
Tchiakovsky: 1812 overture and March Slave
Jean Sibelius: Finlandia
Beethoven: Ode To Joy from his 9th Symphony

Am partial to a bit of Baroque at times.
Bach, Vivaldi and the like.
Always found this kind of music very soothing. Also great background sound while studying or reading in general.

I’ve found that learning about the stories behind the music, or what inspired the music, usually helps me to find enjoyment and see things I previously never paid attention to

My parents forced me to take up the violen as a child and always somewhat held a grudge against classical music for this, although I’m glad to have the experience now

Few years ago I listened mainly classical, -classical and 60’s classics. Not that much anymore but music like this is something you can always find again and again and appreciate it more and more.

Dvorak’s New World Symphony is my favorite, very powerful.

[quote=“Phil H, post:8, topic:2032”]Am partial to a bit of Baroque at times.
Bach, Vivaldi and the like.
Always found this kind of music very soothing. Also great background sound while studying or reading in general.[/quote]

Myself as well…don’t laugh but I dabble in classical recorder music and I love to play Bach.

For classical music recommendations I would suggest Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos (2 and 3 are my preference)

Wagner, motherfuckers!

A few months ago I bought Beethoven’s piano sonatas (also with Brendel) on LP.
This morning I listened to the first three LPs of them.
This is really great stuff!

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:12, topic:2032”]Wagner, motherfuckers!

Yes I love that piece as well - it is the heavy metal of classical music

Bach, Bach and Bach!

My passion lies witihin everything from Baroque (Albinoni, Corelli, Frescobaldi, Händel, Purcell, Telemann etc.) to Avantgarde, Impressionism and Minimalism, but no one has, and no one ever will, top Johann Sebastian Bach!

If I was to choose a era, it would probably be the Romantic era: Beethoven, Bizet, Brahms, Bruch, Chopin, Debussy, Dvořák, Gounod, Grieg, Liszt, Mahler, Mendelssohn, Mussorgsky, Offenbach, Puccini, Rachmaninoff, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini, Saint-Saëns, Schubert, Schumann, Strauss I & II, Tchaikovsky, Verdi, Wagner and many more, are all some of my absolute favorite composers of all-time!

As for contemporary music, there’s only one man who tops them all…

Michael Nyman!

Bach is awesome - we had Bach’s Water Music play for the recessional at the ceremony. Love it.

Water Music is a work consisting of three suites by Händel, not Bach?

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:12, topic:2032”]Wagner, motherfuckers!

I knew you were going to say that!

You got it!

I like Bach as well. I’m a huge fan of his keyboard works. I especially love the interpretations of Grigory Sokolov:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrptYiV25JQ