China 9, Liberty 37 / Amore, piombo e furore (Monte Hellman, 1978)

I would imagine that most people find some of Hellman’s films boring beyond belief. Its a different kind of viewing

I still haven’t seen China 9 yet though, so can’t comment on it

I find some of the directors boring have to agree.

Watched this today for the first time.

Wow! Stuck it on with zero expectations and no prior knowledge at all and was rewarded with… well, if not quite a rare, unheralded gem, then certainly a welcome little treat at the very least. Monte Hellman? Jenny Agutter? Warren OATES?!? Throw in Fabio Testi - speaking English, no dubs - and you’ve got yourself what should be a winning combination. And, in many ways, it is. A character-driven story more typical of American westerns interspersed with the odd peppering of Italian gunplay. Unfortunately, it appears sadly lacking in any sort of budget and it has a tendency to drag in several areas, and it’s this which ultimately keeps China 9, Liberty 37 out of the company of the genre’s greats. But it’s an interesting story, Fabio Testi does well acting in English and Warren Oates is always hugely watchable and that’s no different here. Also, Jenny Agutter! GRRRR! F*cking gorgeous. She has surprisingly little to do except flick smouldering glances at Testi and generally look sexy considering how prominently she features, but still, it’s hard not to wind up staring at her and ignoring what’s actually happening in the movie.

A bit more money and some sterner editing, and we’d have been looking at a proper spag heavyweight. As it is: Good film, glad I caught it.

Instead of my favorite Christmas movie, Logan’s Run, I watched China 9, Liberty 37 this year:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/China_9,_Liberty_37_Review_(Scherpschutter)

Merry Christmas everybody

I can dig this one. But I’m a nut for Warren Oates, so…

Excellent review Mr.Schutter. And a Merry Christmas right back.

Gots to love the Misfits!

Watched this tonight. Agree that it moves a bit too slow at times, and doesn’t have a whole lot of spaghetti atmosphere. I liked how it catches you off guard at times with some of the plot advancements and character development/dialogue. The action is executed very nicely, both in the small-quick-draw-shots, and the big shoot-outs. The scene with Testi just blasting one after another from up on the hill is one of the best big shoot out moments I’ve seen.

And definitely agree on Jenny Agutter, super pretty… once dated a girl that looked very similar, particularly with the eyes :stuck_out_tongue:

All in all, I liked C9L37 a good deal. Testi’s goddamned hat, now that’s another story…

[quote=“autephex, post:68, topic:386”]Watched this tonight. Agree that it moves a bit too slow at times, and doesn’t have a whole lot of spaghetti atmosphere. I liked how it catches you off guard at times with some of the plot advancements and character development/dialogue. The action is executed very nicely, both in the small-quick-draw-shots, and the big shoot-outs. The scene with Testi just blasting one after another from up on the hill is one of the best big shoot out moments I’ve seen.

And definitely agree on Jenny Agutter, super pretty… once dated a girl that looked very similar, particularly with the eyes :stuck_out_tongue:

All in all, I liked C9L37 a good deal. Testi’s goddamned hat, now that’s another story…[/quote]

You’re right about this. I added a line or two to the review. Thanks.

Lucky man :wink:

Given that the Criterion collection have released Monte Hellman’s “Two Lane Blacktop” and a combined release of “The Shooting” and “Ride in the Whirlwind”, I wonder if they will ever release this? It would be a great candidate for restoration.

1 Like

I’m not going to bother watching this until I have the uncut version.

A Monte Hellman film starring Warren Oates with a cameo by Sam Peckinpah - that alone makes this worthy of a decent Blu-ray release.

Plus cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno.

This would probably be in my alternative top 20 if it wasn’t for the fact that it doesn’t really feel like a spaghetti western most of the time. A very good film regardless.

I agree, it definitely needs a Blu-ray.

That’s cause it ain’t one.
This western is so totally an US western as a western can be. Only that it was shot in Spain and not in the USA, but who cares where it was shot? Me not.

A worthy companion to Hellman’s earlier westerns The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind.

Agreed that it doesn’t have what any aficionado of the genre would call a SW feel … However, the vast majority of the production crew and actors are Spanish or Italian - plus the fact that it is filmed in Almeria, albeit with a very cold and unglamorised approach - Also, the locations of these films are hugely important to me - they add that unique surreal feeling that adds so much to their appeal and charm.
Just check it’s original title, Amore, piombo e furore, which translates as Love, Lead and Fury.

I like this one. Will rewatch it one day when they release superior version.

I think the intended original title is the English one, the one chosen by Hellman. If you watch the film you see that the title is part of the directing by showing that sign post.

Like for your new avatar stanton :wink:

Ps: Logan’s run was on TV the other night, I couldn’t resist to give it at least short look :wink: