Cemetery Without Crosses / Une corde, un colt … (Robert Hossein, 1969)

Leone was intended to play the clerk, but he obviously hadn’t.

So maybe Carla really thought he did, or simply forgot that he didn’t.

Or maybe Chris Huerta is a pseudonym hiding Leone’s acting career. I mean, what the hell did he all these years after OuTW? Apart from eating.

[quote=“Stanton, post:101, topic:403”]Leone was intended to play the clerk, but he obviously hadn’t.

So maybe Carla really thought he did, or simply forgot that he didn’t.

Or maybe Chris Huerta is a pseudonym hiding Leone’s acting career. I mean, what the hell did he all these years after OuTW? Apart from eating.[/quote]

Heehee.

Well, it is strange to say the least. I know peoples’ memories are often faulty. But whether not Leone acted in a film just seems too significant a thing to be so confused about. I hate errors like this because they call into question the seriousness of the research of the author. My inevitable question to myself after reading this was “what else is wrong in this biography if something so elemental is wrong”.
I’d like a satisfying answer. I’ll have to go back to Google when I get a moment.

[quote=“Stanton, post:101, topic:403”]Leone was intended to play the clerk, but he obviously hadn’t.[/quote]I remember reading that Leone and Hossein shot the scene but they weren’t pleased with it and afterwards made it again with Huerta. That would explain the confusion.

Hmmm. Sounds plausible. It would explain things.
I don’t have Fraylings book with me. Can’t remember what else was said in regards to this question.

Yes it would - particularly as to why Frayling is able to quote Leone regarding how he played the role.

Nevertheless, in spite of the odd criticism, Frayling has done a huge amount for Sergio Leone and the Spaghetti Western genre in general and should be commended for it. Hey, nobody is perfect and that Leone biography is a big book so there are bound to be errors.

Actually at the front of the most recent edition of Frayling’s Spaghetti Western book, he openly acknowledges all the errors contained within.

Man I wish Hossein had made more movies like this one. He has the same love of using the camera to tell the story and capture the mood as Leone. It’s a great homage to Leone’s work while retaining its own distinctive style.

[quote author=Novecento link=topic=448.msg48125#msg48125 date=1233868979]
Man I wish Hossein had made more movies like this one.

The same here,i wish,too :wink:

[quote=“Novecento, post:105, topic:403”]Yes it would - particularly as to why Frayling is able to quote Leone regarding how he played the role.

Nevertheless, in spite of the odd criticism, Frayling has done a huge amount for Sergio Leone and the Spaghetti Western genre in general and should be commended for it. Hey, nobody is perfect and that Leone biography is a big book so there are bound to be errors.

Actually at the front of the most recent edition of Frayling’s Spaghetti Western book, he openly acknowledges all the errors contained within.

Man I wish Hossein had made more movies like this one. He has the same love of using the camera to tell the story and capture the mood as Leone. It’s a great homage to Leone’s work while retaining its own distinctive style.[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you about Frayling. He is to be commended. The part of his other book that you mention (in which corrects previous editions) is quite a read in itself. I think he had to acknowledge those errors to retain credibility. (Tom Weisser he’s not!)
I enjoy his commentaries on the Leone DVDs. I wish I had made it to the museum exhibit that he helped to curate in LA a couple years ago. I live close enough where I could have gone.
The book that came out as a result of that exhibit is a gem too.
CWC is my favortie Spaghetti even above Leone’s.
Welcone to the fourm by the way.

Well, at least he did one similar intensive film called The Taste of Violence, which is not exactly a western, but close enough and rather close to several of the revolution westerns.

Yeh I’ve heard of that one. What’s it like? I assumed it wasn’t in the same style as CWC.

It is set in a south american revolution in a not specified land. The style of the film is very close to CWC.

[quote=“Stanton, post:21, topic:403”]I’ve got now a copy of A Taste of Violence. There are western moments in it, and you can compare it with the more serious ones of the revolution spaghettis, but it’s not necessarily a SW.

It’s a bit slow in the first half, but then it’s also building up to very intense scenes, which clearly are showing similarities to Cemetery without Crosses.

I can’t understand why Hossein is such an unknown director, these 2 films clearly show a high cult potential.[/quote]

Stanton, where did you get hold of a copy of this? If, as you say, it’s anything like CWC, I would love to see it.

It’s from a german TV showing in the late 80s. So german audio only and the picture quality is also not too good, but good enough to enjoy.

Unfortunately my German is not too good but if there are as few lines in this as Cemetery Without Crosses I guess that wouldn’t be such a problem. I wonder if the German company that released Cemetery Without Crosses would be interested in releasing A Taste of Violence also? Although the picture in their release of Cemetery Without Crosses wasn’t incredible it was still good and they provided a whole host of language options and extra features. Alternatively it would be a great one for Koch to resurrect.

I love Hughes’ observation (p.125) that a cemetery without crosses is surely just an empty field!

Personally I prefer the original French name. I guess this ties in with the question regarding why character names were changed for international release too. Of course it’s not just the SW genre that has all this confusion but it certainly isn’t lacking in it either.

Which is wrong.
A cemetery is still a cemetery, even if the crosses are removed, while an empty field can’t become a cemetery by simply putting crosses on it, only a fake. So the title refers excactly to what it says: A cemetery without crosses.

But the title, which is also the german title, does of course make no sense at all in connection with the movie.

In the theme-song the guy sings “rope and the colt”

But I think Cemetery without Crosses sounds better as the film’s title, it’s also the Italian title

Yes, Une cord, un colt - A Rope, a Colt

Easy, effective, just like the film.

Yes, it’s ironic that the song “The Rope and the Colt” is sung in English for a movie named “Cemetery Without Crosses” in English but “Une corde, un colt” in French.

It has the same title in both English, Italian and German

In French it would be Cimetière sans Croix, or something?

Doesn’t sound too bad either or does it?

The French title originally was written like this:

Une corde… un colt…

It should be read slowly, and reflects the deliberate pace of the movie and the idea (expressed in the movie) that revenge never ends. First you have a rope … then a colt… and it will start all over again, until there’s nobody left to bury the corpses (is this what the italian title is hinting at?)

I have not been able to find out why the two titles are so completely different. Maybe Hossein chose the French title and one of the Italian producers (or maybe Dario Argento, who contributed to the script) the Italian title. Hossein’s father was one of the composers of the song A rope and a colt, so it’s no surprise that it refers to the French title, even if the title of the international English language version is Cemetery without crosses.