Caribbean Basterds (2010/ Enzo G. Castellari)

Anybody heard of this? Aside from those at the Love lock and load forum? Castellari back in the saddle!

Yes. I watch a some kind of trailer. Looks bad.

Hope EGC doesn’t have the Argento syndrome going!

Hmm…
Don’t know what to think…
I will reserve my comments until after I have seen the whole thing.
This film is actually still in production, it hasn’t been completed, yet.
Thus, that “trailer” on YouTube might not be the best thing to judge it by.

Sounds and looks like any other low-budget 2000’s action movie. That is, I will avoid it. Give it a post-apocalyptic setting and a synth score by Carlo Maria Cordio or Simon Boswell and we might have something :slight_smile:

Also always thought that Castellari’s next movie would be a western. What the hell happened there?

When you put it like this it is one I will be in no rush to see.

[quote=“Søren, post:6, topic:2201”]Also always thought that Castellari’s next movie would be a western. What the hell happened there?[/quote]On the Johnny Hamlet dvd he talks about Ethan Hawke being interested.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:8, topic:2201”]On the Johnny Hamlet dvd he talks about Ethan Hawke being interested.[/quote]And Franco Nero says in on interview that he have never met an actor who wouldn’t like to make a western. I think it’s just about money, producers don’t believe you can make money out of westerns.

I think the film, off the trailer, looks pretty good. Anyhow, surely it’s good news that there is a Spaghetti Western director still working?

This is true. It is all about money. No one wants to fund a Western because they believe they are “box office poison”, now.
When the remake of 3:10 TO YUMA did so well, Enzo thought that he might finally be able to secure the funds to make his Western; but, all he was offered was a very small budget via a German TV company (don’t know which one). The budget wouldn’t allow for him to cast the actors he wanted or to film in the locations he wanted to use; so, he turned it down.

It is definitely all about money.

In Germany 3:10 to Yuma was a flop in cinema, as every western since Dances with Wolves

Interesting. 3:10 TO YUMA was the number one film in the USA the weekend it opened and stayed in the Top 5 for a few weeks (which is good by US box office standards). It also did well in Japan and apparently Italy (according to Enzo and his son Andrea).

That’s such a shame. It would be great if a Spaghetti Western director made just one more Western.

Let’s just hope they don’t get this above mentioned Argento syndrome, we wouldn’t want that to happen, would we?