Cannibals (Deodato)

Ruggero Deodato’s suppose to be directing this film for release sometime in the near future.

For those who’ve heard about this, what’s your thoughts? Anyone know any details?
Apparantly the rumors that its a remake of Cannibal Holocaust are un-true, and Ruggero Deodato has stated its a “companion piece” to the original film.

Announced back in 2005, and looks like its still in pre-production… wonder if it will see light?

Check out the wiki entry for a look at the poster… looks like it will take place in a city (of course…)

“This time… they are no longer in the jungle”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruggero_Deodato's_Cannibals

i thought it was a sequel to the original. if it ever is released, i’ll def be interested in seeing it. the first film is one of my all time favorite grindhouse flix.

From what I’ve been able to gather, its not suppose to be an actual sequel or a remake, but more like Deodato just making a new cannibal film in the spirit of the original (ie cashing in) :wink:

Didn’t Deodato denounce Cannibal Holocaust, stating he regretted making it?

I think he regretted the film not because he wasn’t proud of it but because it made so much problems for him. He couldn’t get much work during next years because of Cannibal Holocaust’s nasty fame.

Ah yes, makes sense

I think there was some law suits against him too, can’t remember for sure…

Yeah, because of the animal killings. And he had to demonstrate how he made all the gore before the court because autorities thought there were some real people killing going on as well

yeah he went through some legal troubles with the film… i’ve got the grindhouse release that has the documentaries & interviews talking about all that

some very interesting bits and stories on that disc with the interviews…

Look forward to viewing if indeed does get made.

Me too… I’m just curious what direction it will take. Do they have a huge budget to work with and will it be one of today’s big styled horror flics? Obviously it seems very difficult to parallel the original in content/impact.

Since the original is a well discussed film, a lot of you probably know this already, but I figured I would mention it here as related to spaghettis. Sergio Leone was suppose to of told Deodato that he thought the film was genius in achieving its effect of realism(as I remember the story, but not that exact wording necessarily- Forgot where I heard this but I think it was mentioned in the Grindhouse featurettes)

Thats right, I forgot about that. Leone loved the film, which is very interesting and cool. Im pretty sure it was mentioned on the DVD like you say. Havent watched my 2 disc limited edition copy in awhile.

I know the whole documentary aspect of the original was highly influential on Blair Witch Project. I have no idea where Deodato will take this next story. Its gonna be tough to top the original film. Hopefully it wont just be a big gorefest. Id like to see something smart too.

I thought that the directors of Blair Witch had not seen CH. At least that’s what they said in interview I read once. They said that if they had seen CH they probably wouldn’t had ever done Blair Witch Project.

…or maybe my memory isn’t that good, I know I have that magazine somewhere though.

Really? I dont know. I always heard CH influenced it. I never got too deep into it.

If they did say that, I’m not sure I believe it… of course, it could just be another one of those huge coincidences, but to me it seems like there’s too many of the same elements. And what kind of independent horror film crew is not familiar with CH anyway?

Apparentlyi Ruggero’s not doing well… hope he pulls through, we want to see him in many more interviews speaking about his work

Yeah I saw this earlier :slightly_frowning_face:

RIP Ruggero