California (Michele Lupo, 1977)

I have the same thing with my German CompaƱeros DVD: not a scratch, but it has a lot of macro-blocking on the menu
This only happens on one player, on the second player ā€¦ itā€™s worse: it simply stops, saying ā€˜cannot read discā€™
On my PC it plays marvellously
Go fish ā€¦

If you have the facilities to copy a movie, sometimes doing a dvd r of the disc can solve the problem.

Thanks

Seems logical (although I couldnā€™t explain why ā€¦) but I had not thought of it
Have the possibilities, Will try tomorrow
(This sounds like a loose remake of that old series: Have Gun will Travel - when I was small, I thought Richard Boone played in this a character called Will Travel !)

Still leaves me with the question what is exactly wrong with such a disc
Is it evidence that the DVD is a bootleg (and that the source caused problem) ?
If so, making a copy canā€™t possibly be the solution

My copy of California is Franco Cleef so it is a bootleg. And unfortunatley for me, it is a rental and I donā€™t have the facilities t copy. If I did I coul et into some trouble because the store s togh about this. Iwatch a lot of movies on my computer but it doesnā€™t work here either. Neither in any of my DVD players. I rented this same copy about a year ago and itworked fine. I guess now, Iā€™ll have to buy the movie and finish it. But I did like it a lot more.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:63, topic:947ā€]Still leaves me with the question what is exactly wrong with such a disc
Is it evidence that the DVD is a bootleg (and that the source caused problem) ?
If so, making a copy canā€™t possibly be the solution[/quote]

Yesā€¦ if a source fault then out of luck I reckon.

If the releasing companies cpy of is disc had faults, why would they release it?

Good question ā€¦

Still Iā€™ve seen so many defective discs that Iā€™m sometimes wondering if companies are really thinking about what theyā€™re doing
Apart from really defective discs, I have had discs with awful image quality, hardly any sound, chapters in the wrong order (really, I donā€™t make this up) etc.

Human error and some others are looking for some quick cash and / or do not give a shit.

Wild East for example has issued discs with widescreen ratio issues. If You Meet Sartana Pray for Your Death and Gentleman Killer are just two examples:

Sundance explains:

http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/eurowestern-dvd-list/s/se-incontri-sartana-prega-per-la-tua-morte-if-you-meet-sartana-pray-for-your-death-1968/

http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti/gentlemankiller.php

I thought this was excellent.
By far the best acting from Gemma Iā€™ve seen so far, in by far the best film Iā€™ve seen him in so far.
Very melancholy in mood, with more emotional depth than most spaghettis. It often felt like the US revisionist westerns of the seventies.
I liked the soundtrack too, which was as downbeat as the film.
Great ending, especially the bit with the bottle. In fact outstanding all round & definitely top 20 material for me - just outside my top 10 actually.

I canā€™t remember this bottle thing. Give me a clue!

Itā€™s at the end when Gemmaā€™s character finds the girl. An outstanding moment, in slo-mo to boot.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere alreadyā€¦ I was thinking about buying the NEW release of this, anyone know if this is better than the Franco Cleef version?

I only have the NEW. Itā€™s great!

Coolā€¦ I had just read something that the print was not so great

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:72, topic:947ā€]Sorry if this has been covered somewhere alreadyā€¦ I was thinking about buying the NEW release of this, anyone know if this is better than the Franco Cleef version?[/quote]NEW vs Franco Cleef. FC doesnā€™t seem to have correct aspect ratio.

Itā€™s not so great. Compared to Koch DVDs itā€™s weak. Still not bad and the best around.

Thanks for the screenshots Bill, thatā€™s very helpful. Looks like NEW wins this round by quite a bit, looks pretty good

Coolā€¦ what I had read was that ā€œthe print comes from one of the last existing 35mm reels in germanyā€

I was a little dissapointed with the NEW print as was expectiing a Koch style print, but far better than the Franco Cleef version.

Thatā€™s maybe the problem, the last print and itā€™s not in the best condition. I think they simply couldnā€™t get a better one.

Nevertheless, good enough if you like the film. I donā€™t.

They say similar things on the back of my I sell my skin dearly. In that case this statement really stands for a movie in bad conditionā€¦