Cabras, Sardinia

If you sniff around the internet you’ll find curious references to SWs made in Sardinia. One example is:
http://goeurope.about.com/od/sardinia/qt/san_salvatore.htm
We were alerted to some of the dubious local publicity (including claims/inferences that Sergio and Clint were there) by a friend who has just holidayed in the area. Wildly inaccurate (and even wholly false) information is not uncommon in guide books, of course, even in Almeria.
Can anyone shed any light on this? What fims may have dipped a toe in Sardinia?

To answer my own question (apologies!) it looks likethe answer is:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Giarrettiera_Colt
But that may be all - anyone know any different?

[quote=“El Indalo, post:2, topic:2500”]To answer my own question (apologies!) it looks likethe answer is:
http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Giarrettiera_Colt
But that may be all - anyone know any different?[/quote]

I have a sense that I watched one quite recently shot in Sardinia Richard but I can’t for the life of me remember which one it was. I will scour the brain and see if anything presents itself.

Apart from Giarrettiera Colt I wouldn’t know of any SW shot in Sardinia, but I guess there must be a few

I do know several italian WWII movies were shot in Sardinia, among them Commandos (with Van Cleef) and Giorgio Ferroni’s La Battaglia di El Alamein. For the latter they had already started filming in Almeria and Libia when the Italian Army promised to cooperate (they had denied the request so far); problem was that the Italian army wasn’t allowed to enter (Franco’s) Spain and Libia, so the works were transferred to Sardinia. I’ve never been on Sardinia, so I don’t really know what it’s like, but in El Alamein it didn’t really work. It seemed very hot and sandy, but not like the real thing in North Africa (or Almeria)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:4, topic:2500”]Apart from Giarrettiera Colt I wouldn’t know of any SW shot in Sardinia, but I guess there must be a few

I do know several italian WWII movies were shot in Sardinia, among them Commandos (with Van Cleef) and Giorgio Ferroni’s La Battaglia di El Alamein. For the latter they had already started filming in Almeria and Libia when the Italian Army promised to cooperate (they had denied the request so far); problem was that the Italian army wasn’t allowed to enter (Franco’s) Spain and Libia, so the works were transferred to Sardinia. I’ve never been on Sardinia, so I don’t really know what it’s like, but in El Alamein it didn’t really work. It seemed very hot and sandy, but not like the real thing in North Africa (or Almeria)[/quote]

Also not a western, but wasn’t Don’t Torture a Duckling shot in Sardinia too? Or am I getting confused? Beautiful locations wherever they were anyway.

Some films (partially) shot on Sardinia:

Commandos (1968, Crispino)
Garter Colt (1968, Rocco)
Donne… botte e bersaglieri (1968, Deodato)
Swept Away (1974, Wertmüller)
Nove ospiti per un delitto (1977, Baldi)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977, Gilbert)
Island of the Fishmen (1979, Martino)

And more recently Ridley Scott’s Hannibal, the remake of Swept Away and The Bank Job.

Lest anyone should be tempted by Garter Colt, there is a short review in the Thomas Weisser book (Foreword by our amigo Tom B) which includes …
“This entire Italian-Spanish-German coproduction is hopelessly inept; laughable; not even worthwhile for voyeuristic reasons. Regardless of the title, there’s not a garter to be seen”.
Not one of the best, then!
Not the best basis for a SW visitor attraction either.

[quote=“El Indalo, post:7, topic:2500”]Lest anyone should be tempted by Garter Colt, there is a short review in the Thomas Weisser book (Foreword by our amigo Tom B) which includes …
“This entire Italian-Spanish-German coproduction is hopelessly inept; laughable; not even worthwhile for voyeuristic reasons. Regardless of the title, there’s not a garter to be seen”.
Not one of the best, then!
Not the best basis for a SW visitor attraction either.[/quote]

Ah, but it does star the lovely Nicoletta Machiavelli as the eponymous heroine, so, not very good it may be but it can’t be all bad either. Weisser’s track record is, as we have all come to know, heavily flawed and chances are he never saw the film before writing his opinion of it. That being said, opinion on it is difficult to judge as it seems to only be available in Italian. I still live in hope of a good English friendly version popping up sometime.

Someone said Django the Last Killer was filmed in Sardinia

That’s correct. And that was the film I was thinking of which I watched quite recently.

Well it was atleast partially shot around Rome. But the greener scenes have a exotic look

George Eastman talks about it being shot in Sardinia on the extras of the Koch disc if I recall correctly. Town scenes were certainly in Rome though.

Thanks for all that.
It´s amazing what you can turn up when you persevere - there is a Youtube piece on Garter Colt!

I see what you mean about the heroine, Phil.
And there IS a suggestion of garter! Being a newly married man, I had to avert my eyes!

[quote=“El Indalo, post:13, topic:2500”]Thanks for all that.
It´s amazing what you can turn up when you persevere - there is a Youtube piece on Garter Colt!

I see what you mean about the heroine, Phil.
And there IS a suggestion of garter! Being a newly married man, I had to avert my eyes![/quote]

And some of the locations are pretty cool.
I particularly like the scenes on what look like salt flats.

Very effective.