Bullitt

Peter Yates created a new genre with this film, the action/crime film, and created the template for future films like The French Connection and the Die Hard series. Up until it’s release, American crime films usually were pretty stagy, with brief acts of violence, usually at the climax. But Yates built his film around three set pieces: a brutal contract killing at the beginning, a running chase thru an airport, ending in the disposal of the villain, and most notably, a high-octane car chase on the streets of San Francisco. These scenes carry the film thru it’s lulls most effectively. Steve McQueen was at his ultra-cool best as the titular hero. Robert Vaughan is properly oily as an egotistical social-climbing DA. Jacqueline Bisset, Simon Oakland, Don Gordon, Robert Duvall and Norman Fell are all great in supporting roles. Lalo Shifrin’s signature score keeps this movie feeling fat and nervy. All in all, it’s been done bigger, but never better.

I agree, McQueen even looks cool while he is doing his groceries.

That Lalo Schifrin soundtrack lives in my car stereo. Unfortunately it inspired me to try a Bullitt style jump over a speed ramp which cost me €300 for a new exhaust pipe.

[quote=“Buckshot, post:2, topic:652”]I agree, McQueen even looks cool while he is doing his groceries.[/quote] Yea, I remember him loading up on TV dinners. Looked like a deathwish to me. lol[quote=“Cian, post:3, topic:652”]That Lalo Schifrin soundtrack lives in my car stereo. Unfortunately it inspired me to try a Bullitt style jump over a speed ramp which cost me €300 for a new exhaust pipe.[/quote]I can’t drive like that anymore. Car insurance is too high here.

I think apart from the wonderful car chase the film is a bit dated. Yates had tried to work out another stylized sequenze for the closing airport scenes, but it doesn’t work as good as the car chase, and so the film lacks a real climax.

Jacqueline Bisset looks beautiful, but unfortunately is running around halfnaked (only dressed with a shirt) the only thing she has to do in the film.

McQueen is at best when he doesn’t act, so he is mostly good in Bullit.

[quote=“stanton, post:5, topic:652”]I think apart from the wonderful car chase the film is a bit dated. Yates had tried to work out another stylized sequenze for the closing airport scenes, but it doesn’t work as good as the car chase, and so the film lacks a real climax.

Jacqueline Bisset looks beautiful, but unfortunately is running around halfnaked (only dressed with a shirt) the only thing she has to do in the film.

McQueen is at best when he doesn’t act, so he is mostly good in Bullit.[/quote] All the movies we watch are dated, mainly because they don’t make 'em like this, anymore. But Steve could act. He did a lot of stage and TV before movies, and was nominated for Sand Pebbles, which I still think is one of his best films.

No, I always find him terrible when he starts acting.

I think that Junior Bonner was his best movie, but not his best work as actor.

And I don’t think that every old movie is dated, some are looking astonishingly fresh. But this changes from year to year.

At this very moment I would say that even some of the better SWs have an interesting modern touch, but 4 years ago i thougt that they all were hopelessly dated, except for a few scenes out of the best Leone/Corbucci films.

Most SW’s date themselves by the emotional detachment of their heroes(a very 60’s trend). They felt no emotions except greed or revenge, and anyone who got in their way was target practice. As opposed to heroes in films, nowdays, that have moments of internal reflection, sympathy for those around them, and other touchy-feely issues that their action film forefathers dispensed with as a waste of good killing energy.

So do you consider this a good or a bad thing? Personally i prefer the more unemotional heroes :wink:

[quote=“Silver, post:9, topic:652”]So do you consider this a good or a bad thing? Personally i prefer the more unemotional heroes ;)[/quote] Oh, most definitely a bad thing. In real life, no one has time for reflective contemplation, in moments of duress. When the S*** hits the fan, it’s every man for himself. The old action heroes reflected that attitude. It was much more honest than this ratings board- enforced morality we have thrown into action flicks, today. Back then, sometimes even the villain prevailed. What we have today, is the Disney-fication of the film industry, a mind-numbing way of representing black and white. Deviate from the formula, and your film gets a bad rating, and wont get seen. The irony of it all is, that the 60’s-70’s free-love generation(who saw a lot of these films uncensored, back in the day, and enjoyed a lot more freedom of speech, than is present now) are the ones who enforce the strictest censorship. Maybe they’re atoning for their sins.

Bullitt is O.K, but not my fav McQueen film.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:11, topic:652”]Bullitt is O.K, but not my fav McQueen film.[/quote] Which is?

The Getaway!

‘Pump it Baby’!

They get away with the cash…How many films made today cop out on that front?

The director, music by Quincy Jones (who replaced Jerry Fielding) do it for me on this one.

Speaking of ‘The Getaway’ in how many films nowadays you see the hero slap his girlfriend right smack in the face. Not once, not even twice but a lot and hard. Sure, it’s not nice but it makes better cinema than see people talking about their ‘feelings’ (BORING!) and besides ‘Doc’ is not a nice man and not much of a talker anyway. He is too busy robbing banks and shooting people! If your his girlfriend you should have noticed ;-). Hell, I did.

Gosh it made go right back to old Cagney and his grapefruit in ‘Public Enemy’.

Let’s face it, when they remake old movies now, they look anemic compared to the originals. That’s why old TV shows are made into films, because the show was bland to start with. Anything looks like an improvement.