Buddy Goes West / Occhio alla penna (Michele Lupo, 1981)

I just watched this one and was surprised to see that it didnā€™t have its own thread.

Bud Spencer plays a crook who hides in a small town disguised as a fake doctor.
The town is terrorised by a gang who wants to run the inhabitants out of town because there is gold hidden underneath the city.
And thatā€™s basically the plot there is no more than that to it, but it works out pretty well I must say.
Its one of the better comedy westerns IMO.

For more info visit:
Database page: Occhio alla penna - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Buddy Goes West your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

[quote=ā€œDorado, post:1, topic:1659ā€]Its one of the better comedy westerns IMO.[/quote]I think so too. I prefer this and Man of the East over Trinity films. Theme song by Ennio Morricone is his last western score by the way, and a good one.

Film is good natured fun.

I like the one, although I havenā€™t seen it for quite a whileā€¦

Lupo is a big one of the genre, and he manages to create a kind of worthy farewell to the SW.
We can see the settings for a last time, as well as some of our heroes (Riccardo Pizzuti, Tom Felleghy).
And as Bill said, this great music.
It is a well made one, no cheap rip off.

I liked this more than the trinity movies, amazing score.

Not badly directed, a pleasant Morricone score, but ā€¦ but totally unfunny.

4/10

I think the Italian title matches Buddy perfectly for it sounds like pasta :))

Light hearted romp with the huge Bud Spencer who generally saves the day, aswell as finding time to eat everything he can get his hands on. Probably some of my favourite Bud eating moments in this one, in particular the scene in the chinese place. Very jolly score by Morricone. Viewed some heavy style films recently, so this was a welcome change of pace.

5 stars form me only for the comedy, the best comedy spaghetti ever made! ;D
i loved the eating scene

didnā€™t like it much (3/10), even sold my dvd, but itā€™s 100 times better than ā€œBotte di Nataleā€.
the high-time for italos were the good olā€™ days (1964-1971) !

Watched this for the first time today as wanted something light to watch while nursing a cold. Would be better if one of the females of the family would step up to the plate in the nursing department but thatā€™s a whole other story.

Not a fan of comedy spaghettis by any chalk but apart from the embarrassing Indian sidekick (the Italians really seemed to love their racial stereotypes didnā€™t they?) this one wasnā€™t nearly as bad as I had feared. Harmless fun for the most part and enjoyed seeing Joe Bugner actually throw a few punches. More than he did during most of his boxing career.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:11, topic:1659ā€]Watched this for the first time today as wanted something light to watch while nursing a cold. Would be better if one of the females of the family would step up to the plate in the nursing department but thatā€™s a whole other story.

Not a fan of comedy spaghettis by any chalk but apart from the embarrassing Indian sidekick (the Italians really seemed to love their racial stereotypes didnā€™t they?) this one wasnā€™t nearly as bad as I had feared. Harmless fun for the most part and enjoyed seeing Joe Bugner actually throw a few punches. More than he did during most of his boxing career.[/quote]
i believe itā€™s better comedy than ā€˜trinity is still my nameā€™

Thereā€™s a new poll for Buddy Goes West at the top of the thread on the original post! :arrow_up: :cowboy_hat_face:

@Admin Its database page needs an update, too. :+1: Iā€™ve added the link.

This movieā€™s page in the database has been upgraded to the new layout. Please notify us of any corrections necessary. We also welcome more pictures, reviews (we have none of this movie!), opinions, links, facts, figures, production and location info and much more.

A few days ago I found the VHS in a thrift store for ā‚¬ 0,55!
Watched it last night. I enjoyed the movie, especially the first part.
Good Morricone score and nice cinematography!
I was really surprised this movie has no review and receives little attention.
Maybe I will write a review some day.

1 Like

I also need to rewatch, have the BluRay here waiting for me to pop it in

2 Likes

@Meceita has contributed a new review of this film

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buddy_Goes_West_review

1 Like