Brimstone (Martin Koolhoven, 2016)

Berlin was nice as always

It is so international that I didn’t have any problem finding my audiodubbing people for Hungry bears don’t dance.
We did some location scouting but the nightlife was interfering the scouting performances.

(sorry non-Dutch SW fans)

Het maandelijks terugkerende Rialto Podium staat in het teken van de speciale voorstellingen. Speciaal omdat altijd een bijzondere gast het podium betreedt: de regisseur van de film, een filmkenner of iemand uit de wereld van kunst of politiek. Zaterdag 16 januari is het de beurt aan filmmaker Martin Koolhoven. In Rialto deelt hij een van zijn favoriete films met het publiek: The Great Silence van Sergio Corbucci.

Martin Koolhoven (Den Haag, 1969) wist van jongs af aan dat hij wilde werken in de filmindustrie. Na voltooiing van diverse (film)opleidingen begon hij zijn carrière in de filmwereld met het vervaardigen van een aantal korte dramaproducties. In 2001 maakte hij zijn bioscoopdebuut met de thriller AmnesiA. Sindsdien maakte hij nog zes lange films, die hem zowel artistieke erkenning (De grot, Het zuiden) brachten, als commercieel succes (Het schnitzelparadijs, Oorlogswinter). Rialto vroeg Koolhoven een favoriete film te kiezen. Zijn keuze viel op de spaghettiwestern The Great Silence. Voorafgaand aan de vertoning licht Koolhoven zijn keuze toe.

The Great Silence
Sergio Corbucci | Italië, Frankrijk | 1968 | 105\' | Italiaans gesproken
Spaghettiwestern zonder weerga, die dankzij zijn onverbloemde grimmigheid een cultstatus heeft bereikt. Utah, 1899: de volkomen amorele en wrede premiejager Loco (Klaus Kinski) speelt rechter én beul in zijn meedogenloze jacht op vaak arme sloebers die wat voedsel stalen om te overleven. \'Wanted: dead or alive\' betekent voor Loco enkel \'dood\'. Pauline, de weduwe van een van Loco\'s slachtoffers, zint op wraak: zij huurt de stomme revolverheld Silenzio (Jean-Louis Trintignant) in om af te rekenen met Loco. Ook Silenzio\'s drijfveer is wraak.

adres: Ceintuurbaan 338
telefoon: 020 - 678 8700
datum: zaterdag 16 januari 2010
tijd: 16.00 uur
info: www.rialtofilm.nl

This was nice!
The director (Martin Koolhoven) who introduced the movie
told me his was visiting the SWDB sometimes to.

[quote=“Hungry_bear, post:22, topic:1777”](sorry non-Dutch SW fans)

Het maandelijks terugkerende Rialto Podium staat in het teken van de speciale voorstellingen. Speciaal omdat altijd een bijzondere gast het podium betreedt: de regisseur van de film, een filmkenner of iemand uit de wereld van kunst of politiek. Zaterdag 16 januari is het de beurt aan filmmaker Martin Koolhoven. In Rialto deelt hij een van zijn favoriete films met het publiek: The Great Silence van Sergio Corbucci.

Martin Koolhoven (Den Haag, 1969) wist van jongs af aan dat hij wilde werken in de filmindustrie. Na voltooiing van diverse (film)opleidingen begon hij zijn carrière in de filmwereld met het vervaardigen van een aantal korte dramaproducties. In 2001 maakte hij zijn bioscoopdebuut met de thriller AmnesiA. Sindsdien maakte hij nog zes lange films, die hem zowel artistieke erkenning (De grot, Het zuiden) brachten, als commercieel succes (Het schnitzelparadijs, Oorlogswinter). Rialto vroeg Koolhoven een favoriete film te kiezen. Zijn keuze viel op de spaghettiwestern The Great Silence. Voorafgaand aan de vertoning licht Koolhoven zijn keuze toe.

The Great Silence
Sergio Corbucci | Italië, Frankrijk | 1968 | 105\' | Italiaans gesproken
Spaghettiwestern zonder weerga, die dankzij zijn onverbloemde grimmigheid een cultstatus heeft bereikt. Utah, 1899: de volkomen amorele en wrede premiejager Loco (Klaus Kinski) speelt rechter én beul in zijn meedogenloze jacht op vaak arme sloebers die wat voedsel stalen om te overleven. \'Wanted: dead or alive\' betekent voor Loco enkel \'dood\'. Pauline, de weduwe van een van Loco\'s slachtoffers, zint op wraak: zij huurt de stomme revolverheld Silenzio (Jean-Louis Trintignant) in om af te rekenen met Loco. Ook Silenzio\'s drijfveer is wraak.

adres: Ceintuurbaan 338
telefoon: 020 - 678 8700
datum: zaterdag 16 januari 2010
tijd: 16.00 uur
info: www.rialtofilm.nl[/quote]

This kind of helps a bit :wink: :

The monthly returning Rialto podium stand dominated by special shows. Especially because always a particular guest enters the podium: the regisseur of the film, a film expert or someone from the world of art or political. Saturday 16 January it is the turn to scenario writer Martin Koolhoven. In Rialto he shares of its favoriete films with public: The Great Silence van Sergio Corbucci. The monthly returning Rialto podium stand dominated by special shows. Especially because always a particular guest enters the podium: the regisseur of the film, a film expert or someone from the world of art or political. Saturday 16 January it is the turn to scenario writer Martin Koolhoven. In Rialto he shares of its favoriete films with public: The Great Silence van Sergio Corbucci. Martin Koolhoven (The Hague, 1969) knew of young that he wants finish in the film industry. After completion of several (film) training he started its career in the film world with manufacturing a number of short drama productions. In 2001, made he are cinema debut with the thriller AmnesiA. He since then made long films still six, which both artistic recognition (the cave, the south) him brought, and commercial success (the escalope paradise, war winter). Rialto asked cabbage courts a favoriete choose film. Its choice fell on the spaghetti western The Great Silence. Before the vertoning cabbage courts comment its choice. The Great Silence Sergio Corbucci | Italy, France | 1968 | 105 \ \ \ ’ | Italian spoken spaghetti western without peer, which has reached cultstatus thanks to its unvarnished grimmigheid. Utah, 1899: the completely amoral and cruel premium hunter Loco (Klaus chin ski) frequently plays right and executioner in its relentless hunting on wretches which what stole food to survive. \ \ \ ’ Wanted: dead or alive \ \ \ ’ only \ \ \ ’ mean for Loco; dead \ \ \ '. Pauline, the widow of of Loco \ \ \ ’ s victims, like on revenge: they rents the stomme revolver hero Silenzio (Jean-Louis Trintignant) in to settle up with Loco. Also Silenzio \ \ \ ’ s mainspring is revenge.

Another one just for the Dutch
(or maybe toerists)

Klaus Kinski retrospective
o.a.

• IL GRANDE SILENZIO / THE GREAT SILENCE
  • QUIEN SABE? / A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL
  • DIO DISSE A CAINO / AND GOD SAID TO CAIN

http://www.melkweg.nl/artikelpagina.jsp;jsessionid=499E4307060247ED224467F9462C5517?artikelid=166176&disciplineid=cinema

The “Stephen de Jong” western will not be shot this year maybe in 3 years according to the director
(spoke with him some time ago)

What happened? I thought he was going to get it done earlier than Koolhoven.

Finally some news again, also topic title changed (old: The Ugly (2010, Martin Koolhoven))

If all goes well it will be shot in the summer of 2014, in Canada.

Took quite a while: Brimstone’s website.

Watched this yesterday and I thought it was brilliant. Really more of a period psychological drama than a western in its most conventional sense but no less brutal for it. Possibly my favourite film of 2017 so far; certainly one of them, anyway. That’s two cracking films inside the last year from Dakota Fanning (along with The Neon Demon).

1 Like

Digging this thread up. I wanna collect some more thoughts and impressions from the SWDb community on this really great movie, maybe on some of the influences you spottted. Thanks!

I haven’t seen the film myself yet, but a friend of mine had a small supporting role in it, so I’ll try to catch it somewhere and see if I can spot what scenes he’s in. Sadly, he’s on a hiatus (I don’t wanna say ‘retired’, though it looks like it might be) from acting now, but is having a far more exciting adventure of married life and starting a family.

eh… :wink:

By the way the Brimstone page in the SWDb also needs some love, if someone feels up to adding some info, links, pictures, etc

I am currently editing a very cool interview with Martin Koolhoven. In the meantime, can someone help fill some of the gaps here > Brimstone/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

It was fun doing this interview. Thanks to Martin for chatting with me.

Click here to read it:
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Exclusive_interview_with_director_Martin_Koolhoven

4 Likes

Very nice interview! Well done! I saw all the episodes on TV from De Kijk van Koolhoven (the view from Koolhoven). I visited his show in theater and I went to the cinema a few times where he presented a movie and gave an introduction. That was in Eye Filmmuseum in Amsterdam. One time was with Once Upon a Time in the West (his favorite movie!). It was a rare 35mm copy which was borrowed from an archive in Italy. I made this picture.
Koolhoven talks with a lot of passion about movies and I really like that. His view and analysis are very interesting and educating.

4 Likes

Great interview Seb. really enjoyed reading that.

1 Like

you can tell me your real feedback later :slight_smile: