Blu-ray or HD DVD

For the old movies, there will be no problem to release them in perfect quality on Blu-Ray. Of course, they have to remaster them, to get rid of all the dirt and scratches on the negatives, which the Blu-Ray resolution will make visible without remastering.

But hey, it’s 35 mm on which all the SWs were shot, let’s wait if Blu-ray will be good enough to reach the quality of the 35 mm resolution. They will look great on the big TV screen.

Are you sure about this, Lindberg?
I have been reading a lot about both formats, and I thought only one was ‘backwards compatible’, but I don’t remember which one and it’s also possible that I’m mixing things up. I might have read the remark Sebastian makes, that only HD DVD was region free.

Blu-Ray players take DVDs.
Months ago I had also read that HD is compatible and Blu-Ray not, but apparently new Blu-Ray players are able to play conventional DVDs. So, no problem with our “old” discs.

Region Free and Copy Protection are possible on every Video system, the question is only if the industry wants them on their discs or not.

Blu Ray always was backwards compatible (meaning they would play standard DVD), although early units could not play music CDs. I for one am glad the format “war” is over. But now there is a third DVD format rearing it’s ugly head, HD DVM, a Chinese low end alternative. And of course as legal issues become untangled, we will see more and more HD hard drive downloads, although currently download times are ridiculous. Some companies, like VuDu are offering a buffered system so you can start to watch you movies with in minutes.

At this point, it doesn’t really matter anymore. Toshiba is going to stop making HD-DVD players. Blu-ray won that battle. Can consider it revenge for losing to VHS with Betamax.

At first I stay with DVDs. Blu-Ray is simply way too expensive. I am satisfied with my little silver friends screening SWs in an acceptable way :smiley:

At present, the Bluray site lists Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more on the soon to be released site…but no date is mentioned. The quality of Wild Bunch was incredible on my 46" though.

of course blue-ray and not HD dvd
blue ray superior picture!!! 8)
HD looks more like a digital dvd to me :-\