[Blu-ray] Latest and Upcoming Releases šŸ“€

who do you have to email to get that link? Can you share the link? :wink:

Here ya go

4 Likes

Finally another Hilton Blu-ray, albeit one of his lesser westerns.

1 Like

details and cover entered into the database

3 Likes

Put in my pre-order for Red Blood, Yellow Gold from EM today from JPC like I do every month with EMā€™s releasesā€¦keep these coming EM :clap:

1 Like

35 posts were merged into an existing topic: Demofilo Fidani - Really that bad?

Itā€™s available from Japan and the print is very nice.

Also available from Japan.

I absolutely love this film! I havenā€™t been able to keep up with all of the spaghettis coming out.

2 Likes

MacGregors BluRay details updated in the database and confirmed (havenā€™t checked the region code yet)

Although I donĀ“t own any Explosive releases, to me it seems the DNR their films to death. Why donĀ“t they choose to let the films be?

Iā€™d assume itā€™s mostly likely due to the scans they are provided are probably either not done too well or have a lot of damage to them. They arenā€™t a big company so they canā€™t do their own restorations so the best they can do is use DNR to cover up the issues. Although this obviously creates a completely different issue as well. Itā€™s likely a lose-lose situation for them and I guess they believe a softer transfer will get less backlash than one full of damage and dirt specs.

1 Like

or they already get the files like that and are stuck with shit, because you can go back to the license holder and ask for a pre-filtered file only so many times, or not at all, or thatā€™s even all they have, too

2 Likes

IĀ“m just glad more spaghs are released for us to enjoy. I would much prefer a worn print with some damadge and whatnot as opposed to wax models but, at the end of the day, more spaghetti westerns available is preferable to not having them.

4 Likes

Yes Iā€™m on the same side. Arrow did something really nice with their disc of Nightmare City, where you had the choice between a transfer with lots of damage but with much crisper image, or a transfer that was much more soft but had no damage.

2 Likes

Very good idea ! ā€¦ Iā€™d go for original and scratchy every time.

Recently watched a DVD of ā€˜The Charge of the Light Brigadeā€™ (1968) which used a lot of natural light sources rather than blasting the sets with great arc lights ā€¦ the film looks beautiful, but the picture quality on the disc was soft and blurry in most scenes. I then watched the trailer in the bonus features ā€¦ absolutely pin sharp, like the difference between VHS and Blu Ray by comparison. The trailer had a couple of light marks here and there, but nothing to cry about.

It must be policy with the major companies to filter out any natural flaws, even at the expense of overall clarity.

5 Likes

I have that blu ray. Will have to revisit that feature!
People credit it as the first ā€œrunning zombiesā€ movie, but one could argue David Cronenbergā€™s Rabid.

4 Likes

I go for the same too. Hereā€™s an example of the two transfers they had. The first being the damaged one (although this particular frame doesnā€™t show much of it) from the original negatives vs the softer one scanned from a dupe negative.

6 Likes

88 films will sometimes include a ā€œgrindhouseā€ presentation, which is basically a raw scan. They did it with Violent City, The Though Ones and Martial Club but it was different prints than the main presentation, US prints with US title sequences, and in the case of Violent City also cut.

1 Like

seen that done here as well a few times, or as an extra from a fan provided scan etcā€¦ In general I think companies should just send shitty material back and let the folks in Italy do their damn job and serve these movies better. But unfortunately these titles barely register within the catalogs of the few remaining companies that own them. But I do think one problem is that they arenā€™t duly pushed to do their jobs, and unfortunately aside from the major movies, there arenā€™t any public funds or anything for restorationsā€¦ It would be a great start if these were re-scanned and provided without minimal digital touchupā€¦

1 Like

Nightmare City was so hilarious and terrible, especially the ending! I saw the OCN scan version of the film. The detail was fantastic. How could people prefer the Interpositive scan, especially since it is a crappy Italian exploitation film, not 8 1/2. Still, I love that Arrow included both versions.

1 Like