Blu ray advice

I´m planning to buy a blu ray-player, and of course i need one possible to make region free - at least for dvd´s. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I have the Toshiba BDX1200. By installing the Australian firmware it can allegedly be made region free for both Blu-Ray and DVD. Full details are here:

A couple of slight words of warning though. Some people have experienced issues with some newer disks (I haven’t yet had any issues) which may or may not be fixed by future firmware versions. Additionally, there’s no guarantee future (Australian) firmware versions will keep the region-free capacity. Read the whole thread for the full details!

Hope that’s some help.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

If i have understood correctly it´s harder to make the player region free for the blu ray discs than dvd´s, maybe because it´s newer technology.
Anyway, i´ll check out this Toshiba player. Thanks!

I think that’s generally true for most blu ray players. Most of them can be made region free for DVDs, but it’s generally quite hard to find one that is multi-region for blu-rays.

I was sort of hoping someone else might gives some advice too. I did my research on this about 6 months ago (when I was buying a player), but it may no longer be the best advice out there…

I just bought an LG BP120.

Have you found any way to make it region free? I was thinking about getting an LG BP120 myself and searched the videohelp.com site for codes to unlock it without finding any.
This site offers players region free for both dvd´s and Blu-ray, though: Stegen Electronics

By the way, is your player quiet? My dvd-player seems to dislike random discs and lets out this loud humming, which is highly irritating.

[quote=“Saddle Tramp, post:6, topic:3020”]Have you found any way to make it region free? I was thinking about getting an LG BP120 myself and searched the videohelp.com site for codes to unlock it without finding any.
This site offers players region free for both dvd´s and Blu-ray, though: Stegen Electronics

By the way, is your player quiet? My dvd-player seem to dislike random discs and lets out this loud humming, which is highly irritating.[/quote]

My TV automatically bypasses the region, so a need for a region free hack on the actually player is not needed for me. I don’t think it has a region hack unfortunatly. I don’t really plan on getting any blu rays outside of my region anyway though, I’ll leave that to the DVDs. I have only tried it a couple of times, with a blu ray as well as a dvdr and it didn’t have any noticeable humming. I only own a handful of blu rays so I don’t know how other discs might work on it. Before buying it I told my brother to check online to see whether there was a hack for it and he said yes, but I think he was mistaken because when I went online, after we bought it, I didn’t find any hacks.

I didn’t know that such TVs existed.
Well, maybe i´ll settle for a player region free only for dvd’s as well. But i would probably end up regretting it when i can´t view Mill Creak’s double features, for example.

[quote=“Saddle Tramp, post:8, topic:3020”]I didn’t know that such TVs existed.
Well, maybe i´ll settle for a player region free only for dvd’s as well. But i would probably end up regretting it when i can´t view Mill Creak’s double features, for example.[/quote]

Yeah its wierd, I have a pioneer elite, and I don’t have a region free player for it yet it plays all regions.

Which region are you in? I guess you need a blu ray player that can play R1s? Hopefully outside of getting a region free blu ray, you can find those movies available on mill creek in your own region whether on dvd or blu ray.

I’m region 2. Or B, if we’re talking blu-ray. Yes, i was mostly thinking of region A blu-ray discs. For example, i thought that double feature edition of Keoma/The Grand Duel looked tempting. I already have them on dvd, and my dvd player is region free, but i thought that if i’m gonna buy a blu-ray player i might as well get one completely region free. Somehow i know i would regret it if i spent a fairly large amount of money on something i couldn’t use fully. That would be quite typically me.