Blood at Sundown / 1000 dollari sul nero (Alberto Cardone, 1966)

@Mille Dollari sul Nero

Not a classic, no!..but a decent entry with two great spaghetti western icons. 6.9/10 for me.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:60, topic:344ā€]Yes, but in his rating system 4/10 is already way above average, if iā€™m not mistaken ā€¦ (I probably am ā€¦)

SETTE DOLLARI is a 6,5 out of 10 for me.[/quote]

4/10 is an ok film, watchable. Which was my original rating for Mille Dollari. Actually I think that 3/10 is still a bit generous compared to other films which are that unexiting. But I like Garko, even if here he cultivates his mannerisms too much.

The only Crea I ever watched was a 0/10. There was absolutely nothing in it which deserved one star. Except for the unintentional humor. Fidanis range from 0 to 4/10.

Sette Dollari was a mediocre film for most of its runtime, but the end, after the time lapse, was surprisingly well done. Not great, but good. 4/10.

Cardones best Spagie is 20.000 dollari sporchi di sangue (Kidnapping). 5/10

It is not absurd when a film is technically so clumsy and when Iā€™m considering the surprisingly low entertainment factor.

Back in the school days anything below 5,5/10 was regarded as an insufficient mark. This is still the case.

I donā€™t know how report cards work in Germany, but 4/10 is not good by any stretch of the imagination. Ok (for me) = 5,5/10

Moreover, you get a 1/10 just for showing up or, in Creaā€™s case, making the movie. Therefore a 0/10 makes no sense whatsoever either.

By the way, I reviewed 1193 films on filmrecensies.net so far and on average I give a film 5.343, which is almost ok. Yeah, I watch a lot of crap.

On topic: Mille dollari sul nero 7,5/10

Well, it deserved a star then, didnā€™t it?

Youā€™re one harsh star-dispenser, St. Anton. :slight_smile:

No it didnā€™t. It was one of the most boring films I ever watched. And the unintentional humor was more sad than fun.

Btw, the Crea shows a reward poster which names only the reward-sum, but no name no picture, Mille Dolari shows a reward-poster with a sum and a picture, but no name on it. There are some more aspects of bigger budgeted Fidani.

[quote=ā€œBad Lieutenant, post:64, topic:344ā€]Back in the school days anything below 5,5/10 was regarded as an insufficient mark. This is still the case.

I donā€™t know how report cards work in Germany, but 4/10 is not good by any stretch of the imagination. Ok (for me) = 5,5/10

Moreover, you get a 1/10 just for showing up or, in Creaā€™s case, making the movie. Therefore a 0/10 makes no sense whatsoever either.

By the way, I reviewed 1193 films on filmrecensies.net so far and on average I give a film 5.343, which is almost ok. Yeah, I watch a lot of crap.[/quote]
Yes, and? We are not in school anymore.

A 5/10 is half as good as a 10er (maths teachers might agree here), half as good as a masterpiece then, but no way is a mediocre film half as good as a masterpiece. 2/10 is just fitting for a mediocre or average film.

Maths? Weā€™re not in school anymore :wink:

No, this formula doesnā€™t do it for me. According to you, Mille dollari sul nero = 30% masterpiece.

But ok, if this is your interpretation of the system, so be it.

Itā€™s halfway to perfection yes. Itā€™s also halfway to f*ckawful, too. Itā€™s as bad as it is good. Itā€™s average. Youā€™re thinking of it like, ā€œ5ā€ is far too close to ā€œ10ā€ for it to work. Think of it as 50 out of 100 then, or 500 out of 1000.

The mean average of the numbers 0-10 is 5.
The median average of the numbers 0-10 is 5.

If the worst possible movie is a 0 and the best possible movie is a 10, a bang average film MUST be 5.

It must of course not.

Actually this 10er rating system is used different by different people. Surprisingly many use it in a way that 7 seems already to be a not so good rating, and their ratings are then plastered with 9s and 10s, but I also met people who use it even more strict than I for the lower ratings.

Yes, a 2/10 would describe it maybe better. But Iā€™m always so generous ā€¦

Well as an accoutant with a master in Analytic account, Iā€™m pretty sure that a 4,99ā€¦9 out of 10, is a negative classification, still itā€™s better than a 2 or a 3 out of 10.

Anyway we always have the possiblity of negative numbers, or even better imaginary numbers

i = Ā±Ć– (-1)

Those were created to alllow that negative numbers could had square roots, something that didnā€™t exist before for negative numbers.

So maybe the best classification possible for a Crea movie by Stanton can be an imaginary number

He he, some posts of this thread are gone. Well, nothing important I reckon ā€¦

Just re viewed this one via a fandub which seemed better picture quality than The Wild East dvd. Dramatic film with alot of shouting and passionate people thinking they are right what they our doing. This produces some good scenes but sometimes I am not sure I really take the film serious as its a bit over dramatic for me. There is alot to be enjoyed, but I missed the lacking of the Spaghetti western quirky style characters in this one.

Itā€™s not just a rip of the Koch Media-release which also has the English dub ? Havenā€™t watched the Koch Media-one yet but it probably looks a million times better than the Wild East-one :slight_smile:

No. Its a fandub of the French Artus Film dvd.

Ah ok. Done before the official Koch Media-release came of course for I donā€™t take it that that is worse looking than the French dvd?

Have to see this one again. Havenā€™t watched it in ages and then it was some obscure vhs-rip I gather :slight_smile:

Do not have the Koch dvd so do not know.

Yes remember that vhs rip, amazing that for such a long time this was about probably the best source :slight_smile:

A great re-appreciation of Alberto Cardoneā€™s work can now be read. Our new contributor @davidgregorybell looks at Seven Dollars on the Red and A Thousand Dollars on the Black

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Red_on_Black:_Two_Films_by_Alberto_Cardone

Havenā€™t seen this for a long while but a bout of insomnia last night led me to watch it recorded off of Movies4Men. I remembered it being flawed but enjoyable and that is certainly how I felt about it on this re-viewing. Steffen in small hat mode and without a single roll and shoot while Garko is in full blown whites of the eyes psycho mode. Cardone is trying every trick in the book with jump cuts and arty angles and I must say I had a lot of fun with it.

Cardone is a favourite of mine because he never seemed to accept the limitations of his budgets and always tried to do more with them. Not everything comes off but I just love the way he tries regardless. This one has some great shots and the OTT melodrama of the plot and its characters seems to fit the hyperactivity of his directing style. Quite a nice score too.

The big surprise for me was actually the quality of the print. Movies4Men, bless them, are not always that great with their prints but this one was as good as Iā€™ve ever seen for this film.