Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo, 1971)

Just finished watching this one and thought it was a mixed bag to say the least. Kinski peeping out of windows and eavesdropping behind doors was quite amusing as was his dub voice. The villains were mediocre and silly looking and the lead actor was only ok. I enjoyed the lingering shots of nudity and the ending was cool. The Franco Cleef dvd is very nice as well.

Michael Forest.

I found this to be incredibly entertaining. Not a single boring moment in the film. I watched the South African DVD this time round (previously watched it on VHS). The picture quality is on a par with Wild East releases, so itā€™s pretty good but the sound could be better. If this one ever gets a Blu-ray release, it would be a must buy for me.

seen today this film is more modern than many more famous westerns

Apparently the French DVD is cut and there is an additional 15 second scene that is in the German DVD. Does anyone know what this extra footage is?

Anyone have any info on the German BD listed as TBA in the DB?

Not yetā€¦

Butā€¦I just updated this movieā€™s page in the database to the new layout. You know the drill, let us know if thereā€™s any corrections necessary. Even more: submit texts, links, reviews, facts, and images.

1 Like

New poll available for Black Killer at the top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up: :cowboy_hat_face:

I received my new bluray today just 3 days after its official release date, but ended anyhow up watching Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo) a second time on Youtube ā€¦
I had made a clumpsy/lazy mistake to assume it was English friendly and obviously did not check out if it had English audio or at least English subtitles to the Italian audio. The Amazon ordering page didnā€™t have any information about language, but the SWDB page which I started from did in fact state only German and Italian audio, so I was a bit careless this time.

The music by Daniele Patucchi is very good, especially the main theme which reminds me a bit of Morricone in A Sky Full Of Stars For A Roof, and the slower ā€œwalking type themeā€ which resembles another Morricone theme in Once Upon A Time In The West. A repeated incidental music was reused the next year in Death Plays The Flute.

I find Black Killer more intersting and entertaining than Croccoloā€™s Gunman of 100 Crosses (my rating 5/10). The atmosphere, mood and story are OK with Kinskiā€™s character adding a little weirdness. The Norwegian Fred Robsahm was fine as the antihero. Only the ā€œdrunken barroom brawlā€ was boring.

At this stage I think this SW is worth a solid 6/10.

55 A Pistol For Ringo (Duccio Tessari) 1965
x56 Sartana Does Not Forgive/Sonora (Alfonso BalcƔzar) Francesco De Masi 1968
57 Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo) music Daniele Patucchi 1971
58 Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow/The Moment To Kill (Tonino Valerii) music Nico Fidenco 1966
59 Django The Bastard/The Strangerā€™s Gundown (Sergio Garrone) 1969

1 Like

I have watched it 4 times within a few months and my perceived entertainment value is increased to a 7/10 rating. It grows for me when I successively understand more of some of the details in the plot. The style and especially the two main musical themes (one for the antihero and another for the Kinski character) appeal to me.

48 Donā€™t Wait Djangoā€¦ Shoot! (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1967
49 Go With God, Gringo (Edoardo Mulargia) music Felice Di Stefano 1966
50 Black Killer (Carlo Croccolo) music Daniele Patucchi 1971
51 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967
52 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello) 1968

1 Like